Gransnet forums

House and home

Searching for unbleached toilet paper

(14 Posts)
eddiecat78 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:58:31

Does anyone where I can buy this? Online if necessary

I can only find "Cheeky Panda" which has a reputation for blocking loos and our plumbing is a bit dodgy at the best of times
thanks

Grammaretto Sat 29-Feb-20 15:36:25

Suma wholefoods have quite a range including such lovely names as who gives a crap
www.suma.coop/

rosenoir Sat 29-Feb-20 16:31:22

I had not heard of it so googled, it is on Amazon.

Could I ask what the benefits are?

Grammaretto Sat 29-Feb-20 17:18:08

Ethical and environmental benefits for the soil, the planet and my conscience which is why I use unbleached paper.

The oceans will contain more plastic than fish by 2050, it's predicted, so I avoid plastic packaging too.

Lisagran Sat 29-Feb-20 17:20:29

The “who gives a crap” folks sell boxes of toilet rolls, each individually wrapped in paper - ?!

rosenoir Sat 29-Feb-20 17:29:09

Thank you Grammaretto , I had not thought about the affect on soil.

I do wonder now why it is bleached anyway.

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 17:35:37

It's absolutely ridiculous that it's bleached - just because consumers want it bright white!

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 17:50:01

Ecoleaf is made in the UK (so not shipped from afar) but you do have to take the outer wrapper to a supermarket 'recyclable plastics' bin.

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 18:07:36

Who Gives A Crap is also transported all the way from China which is not v eco-friendly.

Why not use toilet cloths? It’s not something I’m personally prepared to do but apparently plenty of others are!

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Feb-20 18:07:43

The "who gives a crap" ones are made from bamboo pulp. My daughter uses them. She buys hers in bulk and they are quite attractive in the bathroom as are individually wrapped in recycled/recyclable paper. I think the 4 roll packets are paper-wrapped as Andrex used to be in 2x2 packs.
They are not as soft as Andrex but still better than most and are still pretty white even without bleaching.

I think she said they do a free trial?

uk.whogivesacrap.org/

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Feb-20 18:08:43

Gosh SueDomin no idea it came from China! ?

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 20:24:12

Apparently so. It originated in Australia so I guess China-Australia isn’t so bad but China to UK?

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Mar-20 10:33:35

I’ve contacted them since you posted regarding green credentials and they have an extensive audit which demonstrated that they were doing the best thing by manufacturing in China for the Australian market. They have apparently commissioned an audit about what to do to best serve Europe and still be “green”. This will take some months but they say they will implement the findings.

I think their growth is largely about the fact that 50% of all profits go to provide things in less privileged areas - sanitation, education, water. They seem to have a number of campaigns to improve people’s lives.

Calendargirl Tue 03-Mar-20 12:57:49

If the panic buying of loo rolls is as bad as some would have us believe, I think we should be glad if we can purchase any at all, bleached or unbleached.
There was plenty at Wilkos this morning. No, I didn’t buy any.