Gransnet forums

House and home

Bath with inbuilt seat anyone have experience of using one?

(5 Posts)
Rubydee Fri 28-Feb-20 19:49:55

Just starting to think about updating our main bathroom. It’s used mainly for visitors and grandchildren when they stay over. At the moment it has a lovely big bath which I use about once a week for a lovely long soak. Am getting older and occasionally struggle to get out. Have seen some baths with an inbuilt seat and wandered if this would be a good option? Don’t want one with a door. Has anyone used one?

Riverwalk Sat 29-Feb-20 08:08:39

Many years ago in a country hotel I had a bath that had an inbuilt seat. I remember it not being very good as when I leant back for a soak I floated off the raised bit and shifted forward - so the edge of the ledge was in my back

Sitting upright was fine because all your weight holds you in place!

jusnoneed Sat 29-Feb-20 08:31:00

Going back many many years, when first married we rented a place with a small one of these baths. Terrible thing, sitting in the cold (no heating then) with plenty of water around your legs but top half dry as a bone. I used to go to my parents place to shower rather than use it.
They may be designed better now but I don't think I would ever want one, rather just shower.

Dealite Mon 09-Mar-20 13:19:16

Hi. I installed one in a bathroom where there wasn’t enough space for a full bath as I prefer a bath; a year later I pulled it all apart to install a shower!

You can only fill it up to the height of the seat so you can only wash your legs up to your knees, forget about the rest! Unless you squat down in the well where your feet go you won’t be able to wash properly. If you think getting out of the bath now is a problem, try squatting in a third of it and then try to get out! Never again will I install one.

Keep your full bath, you can affix hand grips to assist you when getting out and Help the Aged can advise you of various solutions they have, I know there is a seat that raises and lowers you into the bath. Alternatively there might be a grant available to replace the bath with a shower?

Best of luck

midgey Mon 09-Mar-20 13:48:54

I agree with Dealite, you can test out handles with ‘sucker’ grips before having to spend lots of money on fixed ones. I have seen advertisements for cushions which you can inflate to help you out of the bath.