Gransnet forums

House and home

Load of white washing gone pink - advice needed please!

(18 Posts)
starshine Sun 01-Mar-20 12:59:06

Hello all. I washed a new set of burgundy bedding yesterday followed by a load of whites. Have never had this problem before but the bedding must be shedding dye like crazy as my white wash is now pink. I checked for a missed burgundy pillow case but it's just my (usually pristine) cotton wash. I'm gutted. Thought of using bleach in the machine but this has a habit of foaming up I've heard. Has anyone had success with a supermarket product? Hope someone can help!

lemongrove Sun 01-Mar-20 13:06:14

I did a similar thing once with a purple sheet, the white towels were slightly mauve and never recovered.....I got to like them after a while.
Sorry, not helpful I know.
Bleach, a little, may help added to a hot wash?

BlueBelle Sun 01-Mar-20 13:11:08

I don’t think bleach is the answer things tend to go yellow you can buy colour lift packets probably made by Vanish or similar

kircubbin2000 Sun 01-Mar-20 13:11:28

I had a friend who dyed everything pink once they started to look grey.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Mar-20 13:13:10

I've used the supermarket colour lift products and they work.

joannapiano Sun 01-Mar-20 13:29:30

A rogue red sock once got into the load of white nylon police shirts my husband wore in the 70’s. The whole lot turned pink.
I was appalled and plunged them into a bucket of dilute bleach. They came out a creamy white. I remember it as if was today! I told DH what happened and he continued to wear them to work. I wouldn’t recommend this drastic treatment, though.

MiniMoon Sun 01-Mar-20 13:33:17

Go and buy Dylon Colour Run, follow the instructions on the pack and all should be well.
I think that it will return your cotton items white again.

MiniMoon Sun 01-Mar-20 13:34:23

I meant to say that I've used it once or twice and had success.

starshine Sun 01-Mar-20 15:16:55

Oh thanks to you all for the replies! I will look for some Dylon tomorrow. I suppose I could live with pink sheets but it was mostly my husband's white vests and t shirts grin I'll pop back to post the outcome!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 15:24:46

It happened to me only once and I used colour run think made by Dylan most supermarkets sell it as do Wilkos. I now use the dr beckham towelling sheet you put in the drum, and you can actually mix colours , I use it every time I wash lasts up to 30 washes comes with a plastic disc that you can turn so you know the number of times you’ve used, No more accidents in the wash result,!dylon not Dylan

SirChenjin Sun 01-Mar-20 15:32:17

Definitely Colour Run. You might need to put it through a couple of cycles but it does shift it.

WishIwasyounger Sun 01-Mar-20 17:19:59

Will Colour Run help my grey bras become white again?

dogsmother Sun 01-Mar-20 17:30:12

The colour run helps a little but sadly I’ve done this periodically over the years. Nowadays I don’t put a wash on without a Colour catcher !

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 17:32:00

I might try that

The other day I put two white towels in with coloured ones, thinking all would be okay as the coloured ones had been washed several times.
No, the white ones look quite murky now.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 02-Mar-20 18:00:21

It probably won't help to bleach your white wash, but I would certainly soak things overnight in bleach and water then wash them on a really hot cycle.

But let the machine run on a cycle without clothes in it first.

starshine Fri 06-Mar-20 08:44:02

Alas I've had no success with the Dylon SOS Colour Run - my husband is wearing his pink vests to bed making me laugh every night! I might try a bit of bleach before giving up altogether but I do like the sound of the towelling sheet colour catcher for future use! Thanks again everyone for the kind advice smile

Dollymac Fri 06-Mar-20 08:50:07

Try Dr Beckmans Colour Run
It worked for my laundry disaster

Hetty58 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:54:38

A bit late but, if it happens again, don't let the tinted items dry, just run them through another hot wash, straight away.