Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone live in or next to a vineyard?

(16 Posts)
rosecarmel Sun 15-Mar-20 22:07:23

I'm considering looking at a house next to a vineyard and winery- Any thoughts?

Calendargirl Sun 15-Mar-20 22:15:18

In answer to OP- no.

Gemini17892 Sun 15-Mar-20 22:17:51

And it’s a no from me. ???

merlotgran Sun 15-Mar-20 22:18:34

I wish. wine grin

Lucca Sun 15-Mar-20 22:23:44

There’s a very good wine shop at the end of my road?

gillybob Sun 15-Mar-20 22:23:59

Not sure I’d trust myself living close to a winery. wink

Nannylovesshopping Sun 15-Mar-20 22:42:09

Sounds a lovely place to live to me ???

Allegretto Sun 15-Mar-20 22:52:24

We parked our camper van at the end of the rows of vines in NZ, booked through the ‘okay to stay’ scheme. It was idyllic.

SueDonim Sun 15-Mar-20 22:55:56

I’d be looking at how often the vines were sprayed with insecticide and other chemicals. I wouldn’t fancy have that kind of stuff dumped on me but an organic vineyard would be perfect!

Squiffy Sun 15-Mar-20 23:48:40

Ditto Suedonim! That was my immediate reaction!

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 00:08:03

It may look idyllic but it is a farm and, unless it is organic, there will be spraying therefore you would have to keep doors and windows closed, and there could be extremely busy times when there may be noise, visits to the winery, traffic etc.

crazyH Mon 16-Mar-20 00:16:14

Heavy traffic, noisy, smelly , what else? On the other hand, you could get the wine at a discount !!

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 00:19:29

what else
Fruit flies and other pests.

JackyB Mon 16-Mar-20 10:19:24

I live in a wine growing area. Vineyards are usually very steep slopes. Make sure you are capable of tackling the garden if it is also sloping.

Otherwise, I agree with the others - find out if it is an organic vineyard (it takes about 10 years for a vintner to convert his system) and, if so, be prepared to accept bees, butterflies in abundance, as well as, probably, rodents, and the seeds of wild flowers blowing on to your property.

If not - think carefully!

rosecarmel Mon 16-Mar-20 17:21:15

I did the research, they don't practice organic growing and the small farm next to it doesn't either- The house is located to the south of both, so the wind would carry whatever they use towards the home, I suppose-

I went so far as to hunt down previous owners- It appears 2 of the family members died from cancer -

Thank you for your suggestions and info-

It stinks!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw me living there!!!!!!

wiggys52 Sun 05-Apr-20 00:42:53

Be very careful. 8 years ago we bought a property 2 blocks down from a very small winery. They sold 2 years later and the new owner has had all these huge plans to make it into a music,, wedding, celebration, restaurant venue. The owner applied for the minimum seating application and before the C-19 pandemic there would be quadruple the people there every weekend. The local council do not work weekends and therefore were unable to police. The immediate neighbours have suffered tremendously from noise, sewage odours (from the present system being too small to cope with the numbers) people leaning over the fence line etc. Noise from people leaving. Thankfully, they are unable to have music festivals etc. Also be careful of spray drift. We are all on hobby acreage, 3 - 5 acres. The owners of the vineyard should be on about 100 acres to cater for their plans. Absolutely no consideration for their neighbours - who were all resident long before these new owners came along. The council seem to finally be listening to the locals.