Gransnet forums

House and home

Family mortgages to help offspring on housing ladder

(9 Posts)
ClareAB Tue 17-Mar-20 16:31:42

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about these? I want to help our son and family get a secure home of their own, and with the current housing/wages situation, I don't see how they can without a helping hand.
Both work, they have a toddler and are paying huge rent on a tiny house.
I'm even thinking of building an annex in the garden!

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 17:05:28

Would it not be better to help them with a deposit instead of paying out for an annexe ?

Davidhs Tue 17-Mar-20 17:15:25

The practical thing to do is give them the deposit on their first house I do mean “give” no ties. They are never going to save for a deposit while they are paying rent, so when they can afford the monthly payments give the deposit.
It’s always going to be tough, it always was, once they are on the housing ladder it gets easier.

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 18:15:43

I gave my daughter my new kitchen money for a deposit. Still got the grotty old kitchen.

Whiff Tue 17-Mar-20 18:37:13

I was widowed when our children were 16 and 20. When they met their future spouses they rented and still saved for a deposit on a house each. They frequently told told me they were adults and didn't expect me to help them financially. I couldn't help with a deposit but offered to help with their weddings. They both refused and pointed out they were adults also both couples had a budget which they worked to. My daughter and son in law have been their house nearly 8 years and my son and daughter-in-law 4 years. I am very proud of all they have achieved without hand outs. As they pointed out when my husband and I brought our first house no one helped us.
Do they know you want to help them out or is it just something you want to do ?

crazyH Tue 17-Mar-20 18:45:33

Help them with a deposit for a house, that's my advice. An annexe is a subtle way of keeping them near you ? After my brother died, my sis in law built an annexe for her son and his wife ....what a disaster !! Daughterinlaw hated it, and they eventually left to buy their own independent place. The two women do not talk to each other now.

J52 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:48:09

Gifting the deposit, cuts down the inheritance tax as long as you live for 7 years. Worth it if you can afford to do it.

ClareAB Thu 19-Mar-20 07:49:06

Thank you all.
I've also discovered a 'family mortgage' where we would be guarantors as well as help with the deposit which goes into a separate account which you eventually get back, I think. one of the advantages would be that they could get a bigger mortgage at a decent fixed rate.
But then, with the world falling apart is now the right time to buy?
Nothing is simple...

Franbern Thu 19-Mar-20 08:39:42

Probably an excellent time to buy -must becoming a buyers market at present. By the end of this year, as things start to return to something vaguely returning to 'normal' - there will be huge rush as people try to catch up with their plans to sell/buy. Rental money is 'lost' money.