Gransnet forums

House and home

Rising energy bills

(9 Posts)
craftyone Mon 23-Mar-20 19:23:28

octopus for me, gas and electricity, new detached house. £42 pm

MerylStreep Mon 23-Mar-20 19:11:20

We live in a 2 bed bungalow with central heating in the conservatory.
I don't do cold or wear jumpers ( indoors) Our heating is set at 21. It comes on at 06.30 and goes off at 22.30.
We were with ovo until they put my DD up to £74 a month.
I'm now with Robin Hood energy. They are a none profit making company. I will pay £52 a month with them.

MamaCaz Mon 23-Mar-20 18:59:23

Madwoman11
You say that your company has jut put your direct debit up, but you don't say if they have actually increased the price of your energy/standing charge, or if they have simply increased your DD because your usage is higher than expected.

Are you on a fixed or variable tariff?
Do you know how much how much per unit and what daily standing charge you are paying for your gas and electric, or how much of each you use in an average year? (Your bills should give you some, possibly all, of this info) If so, it would be quite straightforward to do a comparison and find out whether you are paying over the odds or not.

boheminan Mon 23-Mar-20 18:58:20

I await to see what Shell do to me. I've had the heating on longer recently (about 10 hours a day) as my partner has cancer and needs to be warm

BlueBelle Mon 23-Mar-20 18:50:32

Ive just paid £300 for three months gas and electric I don’t have central heating but I have used the gas fire a lot this winter but it’s more than it usually is for sure

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 18:48:48

Good grief. Surely that can't be right. Is your meter broken? It happened to us once. We got a bill for over £1000. Turned out the meter was spinning randomly like a slot machine.

FlexibleFriend Mon 23-Mar-20 18:45:20

Sounds cheap to me, my heating is hardly ever on, only when the weather is freezing and then for an hour a day as my house is very well insulated and I'm always hot and sweating. Mine is currently £125 for gas and electric combined every month and apparently I've been using more than I should. I shudder to think what it would be if my heating was on for 16 hours a day, every day.

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 18:44:22

Have a look at Octopus. They're green and involved with the Cooperative Movement. We don't have our heating on as much as you do but we have it on quite a lot because DH feels the cold and we only pay £37 per month for combined gas and electric.

Madwoman11 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:19:52

My energy company (Shell) have just raised my monthly direct debit considerably. I will now be paying £85 per month for both gas and electricity. I live alone, and only have a small house.
Just wondering if others think this is high. Btw I do have the gas central heating on a lot set at 20 degrees, as I don't have a fire, and I am always cold so its on for approximately 16 hrs a day. I don't suppose most people use their central heating as much as I do.