Gransnet forums

House and home

Airbnb vs having a lodger

(11 Posts)
SuzanneN Wed 15-Apr-20 22:21:27

I’ve been a live in host on Airbnb for the past four years until a month ago when they cancelled all my bookings due to lockdown. Now considering whether to try and get a lodger instead as I just don’t think I can rely on Airbnb in the long term. Anyone else in the same boat?

MawB Wed 15-Apr-20 22:36:06

I dont imagine you could do either during the lockdown and once it is over (if!) you would have to weigh up the pros and cons as before.
But nothing in the short term.

welbeck Thu 16-Apr-20 01:48:01

ditto as above. you should not admit anyone into your house who does not live there. nor go into any other house, as per the guidelines.

SuzanneN Thu 16-Apr-20 05:27:48

Sorry yes, once this is over. My partner has moved in temporarily to the room! Lol.

Whiff Thu 16-Apr-20 07:32:22

SuzanneN why are you even considering this. We are all in lockdown. It means we need to protect not just ourselves but others.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Apr-20 07:34:21

suzanne I thought that there was going to be something done about Airbnb? Something to do with it getting out of hand?

I’ve never used the service so I’m not sure how it works.

Davidhs Thu 16-Apr-20 07:39:20

Short term I guess a lodger would be a better bet, by September there will be travelers coming to UK so, Airbnb will resume. Overall, a lodger for a year will probably be better.

Missfoodlove Thu 16-Apr-20 09:34:01

It all depends on where you live and how much you charge.
If you’re in a tourist area with few hotel rooms then you are probably not going to profit as well from a lodger.

jeanie99 Sun 26-Apr-20 03:16:14

At the moment you should not be having anyone in your home who doesn't already live there we are in lockdown.

When we are allowed movement
A lodger is a permanent individual
B&B is irregular persons staying
depends what your preferences are.

JuliaM Sun 26-Apr-20 08:19:10

Its worth looking at the legal side of having a Lodger, if they turn out to be someone that is disruptive, or does not pay their rent in time ect, then you may find that its more difficult to evict them than someone who is just visiting for a few days.

sodapop Sun 26-Apr-20 08:27:37

JuliaM is right you need to look at the legal issues relating to a lodger before you go into it. Be clear about how much of your house you want to share etc. I'm not sure how Airbnb works either there are pros and cons for both which you need to weigh up.
Good luck.