Gransnet forums

House and home

Whiffy washing machine, advice from my repair chap!

(63 Posts)
phoenix Mon 20-Apr-20 14:59:45

Hello all,

My lovely repair man obviously can't come out at present, but I got in touch to ask how to clean the filter.

Apparently on my model I cant, but he suggested the following to deal with smells.

Put a dishwasher tablet in the drum, and set to a 90 degree wash.

While the machine is filling, add an extra 10 litres of water via the soap dispensing drawer.

Run the cycle, if it doesn't work first time, repeat.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Patsy70 Sat 09-May-20 22:17:32

My washing machine is not smelly. I only use a liquid detergent in the machine (not the drawer), and no softeners, only white vinegar in the drawer. I leave both the door and the drawer open between washes. I also run a 90 degree wash every few weeks, with no clothes, plus white vinegar.

Alexa Thu 07-May-20 12:51:32

I use washing soda crystals and the macn's hottest wash- 60 degrees. Seldom get smelly as I use some thick bleach when I am washing dog blankets.

Tanjamaltija Thu 07-May-20 10:59:25

Just run a hot wash with no clothes, but add white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to the water.

FoghornLeghorn Thu 23-Apr-20 03:15:39

My daughter swears by kill rock she said it’s the best thing she has ever used!

What on earth is kill rock? Even Google can’t tell me.

Alexa Wed 22-Apr-20 09:50:11

I use some thick bleach every time I wask bed linend or dog blankets and it seesm to keep the machn clean.

hereshoping Wed 22-Apr-20 09:35:52

Seems to be a summer thing, no matter what I try, I can't get rid of it,
But come winter it disappears of it's own accord, despite central heating.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 07:51:10

I keep it simple - have allergies so use a laundry egg at 30 degrees instead of detergent for everything except whites. A bargain at £10 and lasts two years. It ionises the water to remove dirt.

For whites I just use soda crystals at 60 degrees. No fabric softener. Always leave the door and drawer open a little. Nice clean washing - and no smells.

Esspee Wed 22-Apr-20 07:30:17

I live in a soft water area, use Lidl liquid detergent at about half the recommended dose and Lidl fabric softener, wash most of the time on a quick low temperature wash and always leave the machine door open. I clean the filter, rubber seal and detergent drawer once in a blue moon.
I have NEVER had a smelly machine and my laundry puts the neighbours to shame (their words). So reading all your experiences makes me guess that not shutting the machine door is what makes the difference.

Suerussell Wed 22-Apr-20 02:46:22

The mould is caused by shutting the door when not in use. I still get some mould in the drawer compartment though. Well not in it but when I take the thing out altogether there is mould underneath. I wipe as much out as I can and then spray it with mould and mildew spray. I use a dr beckmans cleaning fluid to wash the pipes out a couple of times a year.

Nothing worse than a wiffy washer ?

glammagran Tue 21-Apr-20 19:02:58

I used to have a whiffy washing machine. But then again I did wash horse blankets in it. Didn’t go down well with the older 2 children. ?

Ginny42 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:20:12

I've been dealing with this very problem this week and found an area behind the rubber seal and I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it was there! Consequently, it's never been cleaned. blush

It's behind the seal directly in front of the drum. I lifted the seal nearest the drum and found another ridge which was dare I say, black! I had to go all the way round clawing at the ridge to clean it. Poor design? What is it there for? Is it just my machine? I'd used two types of cleaner before I found it and now it's had the Zoflora Fresh Linen treatment the odour has gone. I know now that I must clean it with my hands and a cloth from time to time.

Happiyogi Tue 21-Apr-20 17:15:05

Sometimes the dispenser drawer and area around it can get gungy and whiffy. Removing and cleaning the drawer (underneath too) and the cavity where it lives gets rid of the smell.

Larraine1 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:09:31

I use 2 table spoons of bicarbonate of soda in wash drew and 2 cup fulls of white vinegar in drum then hot temperatures to clean my machine.

Toadinthehole Tue 21-Apr-20 16:35:02

low temperature, not slow, although all the washes are!

Toadinthehole Tue 21-Apr-20 16:34:24

The smell is due to build up of bacteria because so many washes are slow temperature these days. A regular weekly boil wash should sort this. You can also use anti bac wash in your lower temperature loads.

Plunkie Tue 21-Apr-20 16:22:09

How about putting some lemon slices in the powder drawer - works for dishwashers!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:18:17

Since I started leaving the door of the washing-machine open when it is not in use, it never smells musty.

Even, when I forget, as I always do, to sop up the water that is always left in the rubber seal on the door.

phoenix Tue 21-Apr-20 16:10:37

moggie57 can't access filter, see OP.

To all: Use soda crystals a lot, sink freshening, soaking oven dishes with baked on stuff, etc etc, but the dishwasher tablet method is the only thing that has worked on my 15 year old washer/dryer.

Baggs Tue 21-Apr-20 15:36:56

Using soda crystals instead of washing powder helps, I think, mainly because soda crystals do the detergent bit but don't add any scents. I think it's the build up of 'perfumes' that cause the stink. That and water not hot enough.

Wash your towels and bedding hot using soda crystals and I bet the problem will evaporate.

moggie57 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:32:27

soda crystals down the kitchen sink and in your washing machine.do wash on hot ...should go. good luck...(clean filter first)

phoenix Tue 21-Apr-20 15:26:52

Hello all, just to say I have tried all of the recommended solutions, but the dishwasher tablet method as given by my repair chap did actually work!

Lucy127 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:23:07

Because of sensitive skin I make my own washing powder. Don’t need much and the washing is perfect. Very very cheap. I make enough to fill large plastic bucket. (Re-using fat balls bucket). Contains borax, washing soda and lots of grated soap bars! And essential oils if you wish. Never get whiffy machine. Grating bars of cheap soap is a pain but think of savings and the planet.
If I have lot of whites to do I also add Napisan and run for few minutes until well soaked. Then leave overnight. Hot wash as usual. Excellent results.
Oh I’m good!!!

barbaraellen Tue 21-Apr-20 14:59:33

I give my washer a clean by running a very hot wash whilst empty and put a nice smelling biological powder in the drawer along with limescale prevention powder. Clean out your drawer before using this method.
This should be done monthly. Just going to do this now.
If you are in a hard water area use the limescale prevention powder every wash.

pollyolly Tue 21-Apr-20 14:59:28

Does anyone have suggestions as to where to buy white vinegar in bulk, not online as postage too much. Only small bottles in local supermarkets.
I started to use white vinegar instead of Comfort but towels still hard. Am I using too much soap powder?

BettyBoop49 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:34:29

I had this problem - horrid musty smell in the washing machine. I tried everything and then by chance stopped using washing liquid encased in gel. Problem was solved immediately. Now only use plain washing liquid or powder and have had no recurrence.