Gransnet forums

House and home

Shutter for Windows

(13 Posts)
overthehill Sat 25-Apr-20 14:01:45

On my daily walk around the streets where I live, I see houses with vertical blinds or shutters, not sure which, up at their windows and they look very nice.
Thinking I might have the same could anyone who has these point out the pros and cons for me please. I do have one venetian blind in the house which is a bit of a pain to clean so I'm thinking are these going to be the same.

overthehill Sat 25-Apr-20 14:06:25

Sorry HORIZONTAL NOT vertical always get them mixed up

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:11:20

I think they look lovely, expensive but lovely, we have a window where they would look good, but the window and frame are so crooked that they said it would either look good from the outside but wonky indoors, or lovely on the inside and crooked from the outside. ......
So we left it.
I imagine the cleaning would be similar to Venetian blinds, you could buy one of those special cleaning things.

MissAdventure Sat 25-Apr-20 14:20:41

My neighbour who had a cleaning business said they are a pain, as they get very dusty.

Eglantine21 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:39:17

I loved mine. I originally had one set in the kitchen to stop next doors cat from coming in when the window was open. I liked its clean lines so much I had them in every room.

They weren’t hard to clean because they were solid, white painted wood. They didn’t wobble about like blinds. I just ran a wet cloth over them when I remembered.

I had screw in locks security was an addd bonus. I could have the bedroom window open at night without worrying about a burglar (or the cat) creeping in?

I’ll have them in my new house as soon as I can.

Roses Sat 25-Apr-20 14:46:01

I have white plantation shutters in my bedroom.
I bought them because of the very bright lamp outside
Unfortunately they don't block out the light as I hoped they would,but I love the look of them

I find cleaning them no problem the slats are much wider than vanetian blinds if they weren't so expensive I would have more Windows done

Jaycee5 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:49:23

I love the look of slatted blinds but the cleaning has defeated me with more than one kind.
I bought a folding screen for the front of my window as the sun is too bright otherwise and it works well.

Charleygirl5 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:56:49

I have horizontal blinds in my kitchen at the window and also at the patio door. I am overlooked from the rear and it is impossible to keep them properly closed. I did not want to be exposed during the day so at my patio doors I have left my net curtains in situ but if I was selling tomorrow I would remove them! Would I buy again- no.

EllanVannin Sat 25-Apr-20 16:02:09

I'd rather have something that you can remove and bung in the washing machine-----like curtains grin

tanith Sat 25-Apr-20 16:04:52

I’d love Plantation shutters but as it’s possible I’ll move in the next couple of years I’ll wait till I move and then have them installed.

craftyone Sat 25-Apr-20 17:55:31

I bought plantation shutters for every window in my new house, I got wooden called white teak and they are stained off white so you can see the wood grain and they are slightly cream. They are super fantastic and the installer was very good. They keep the heat in or out and I can regulate how much sun comes in. No more curtains for me, not ever. They only ever would need a light swipe with a feather duster

I had perfect fit blinds on the patio doors, I got insulating honeycomb with a metal core and they are also good for keeping hot sun out. They also look very good and are a fraction of the cost of plantation shutters. I could not have shutters on those doors

There is light leakage in the bedrooms so 3 months ago I had perfect fit blinds fitted onto the window frames behind the shutters. I now have the perfect combination and I can set both shutters and blinds to keep the heat out or in. I now have blackout at night.

What I also like is that I can tilt the shutters on the front downstairs so that I get complete privacy yet the light still comes in. I bought my shutters from shuttercraft

overthehill Sat 25-Apr-20 20:21:30

Craftyone could I ask the cost of your blinds please. I have two largish right angle bays and a window with one window and side window at right angle.

craftyone Sat 25-Apr-20 21:08:11

I have no idea of individual shutters. I had a quote for the whole house. I suggest you get someone to come to your house when possible, different windows need different designs. They are not at all pushy