Gransnet forums

House and home

Fireproof safe just in case

(6 Posts)
stephenfryer Sun 10-May-20 06:29:03

I've been thinking lately about all the important documents in the house which should be saved in case of fire. Latest example: just bought a Funeral Plan which comes with a Certificate of Entitlement. What if there was a fire and it got burnt up?
So, thinking about a fireproof safe. Any advice please?

tanith Sun 10-May-20 07:20:09

Take digital pictures could be a simple way of recording certificates etc. I’m not sure if they would be accepted as proof but I suppose you could find that out or buy a fireproof storage box or safe.

MawB Sun 10-May-20 07:55:41

How about considering virtual copies of everything? Insurance companies etc all keep an online record so paper copies are becoming less relevant these days.

Davidhs Sun 10-May-20 07:56:52

For important documents like your Will, Funeral plan, any Bank Account, investments or pensions, give copies to a trusted relation or the executor of your estate. If you don’t want to give precise details just the account number so it can be tracked.

Hetty58 Sun 10-May-20 08:01:48

I have a fireproof document bag for the important stuff. Most things (like house deeds) are online now anyway. My prepaid unattended cremation documents came with a contact card so I gave that to my daughter.

Alexa Sun 10-May-20 09:45:50

Thanks for the reminder Stephen. I will have to sort this out and migh even get a fireproof safe