Gransnet forums

House and home

Towpath living

(10 Posts)
midgey Fri 03-Jul-20 17:27:44

One thing to remember is that the towpath is open for everyone, so dog walkers, families on a walk, lovers.....drunks....etc etc! Near DD’s there are some amazing flats on the towpath, I think some owners imagined it would be quiet!

KarenR Fri 03-Jul-20 17:17:49

Thank you everyone, I’ll let you know how it goes.

EllanVannin Sat 23-May-20 09:18:40

I imagine it's a pretty quiet sort of life and can be a bit of a culture shock if you've lived in or near a bustling town. It would certainly suit me being at one with nature rather than being surrounded by people.
It depends what your preferences are really for a permanent way of living.

Franbern Sat 23-May-20 09:11:30

Think that all the new towpath flats are built taking into account flooding. Also, all have approaches in the front from roads, and garages and parking.
However, think they are very pricey.
But, can understand, that if you can afford these, they do look wonderful and, of course, being able to see water whenever you wish, is very relaxing.
KarenR - do let us all know how you get on in this.

welbeck Fri 22-May-20 16:42:24

risk of flooding near any water course.
also what about access without a car, as you get older, or having mobility issues, you have to think of what is practical.
somewhere that looks nice for a holiday may not be such a good bet long term.

Sparklefizz Fri 22-May-20 15:42:29

What about the risk of flooding?

Alishka Fri 22-May-20 14:46:43

Friends live in a cottage, bought eons ago, whose garden backs on to the Grand Union Canal. I loved visiting them by train and walking along the towpath to reach their place, and from their sitting room there was an ever-changing view of the barges,etc. passing by. 'Twas lovely smile

Franbern Mon 18-May-20 10:21:48

Used to go on lots of day boat rides and thought those towpath flats looked fabulous - and very expensive. You do have to remember that your balconies will not be very private as everyone on the river can see these quite clearly.
As I only ever saw them from river side, no idea what the fronts are like, assume that there are garages and parking bays for residents and their visitors.

lilypollen Mon 18-May-20 00:05:40

I can't say what living next to the tow path would be like but thirty years ago we were one house removed from the Thames and had a balcony with wonderful views on the Thames. We now have a narrow boat and when out on it, I envy anyone living by the water.

KarenR Sun 17-May-20 23:51:27

Hi guys, my husband and I looking for a retirement property and are considering one on the Thames towpath.
If any of you have experience of towpath living I’d be grateful to hear your views?
Thank you. X