Gransnet forums

House and home

Water softener- any recommendations please?

(8 Posts)
Moll22 Sat 23-May-20 08:27:49

Hi we have very hard water here in this part of Somerset. After staying with my daughter abroad with lovely soft water (no marks on her shower at all!) I have the bit between my teeth to get one here. Problem is there are several out there and very little unbiased content - can you recommend one at all? Would be much appreciated, thank you in advance

MacCavity2 Sat 23-May-20 10:17:48

Yes we had one installed last year. Ours was recommended by our heating and plumbing engineers. It’s a Dualflo by Harvey Water Softeners. Not cheap and takes up room in a cupboard in the utility. Salt blocks are delivered from on line company. Saving money on detergents and chemical cleaners. Hope this helps.

Moll22 Sat 23-May-20 10:59:47

Thanks yes - so much more peace of mind having real feedback, we’ll look into that one

JennaPierce Wed 27-May-20 08:54:12

I got a whole house filter from Aquasana last year, definitely recommend it cause my water tastes better than ever. Even took a few samples for testing after a month or so since I installed it, was a big difference in purity. There are online sources that you can use, but I'm not sure what to say about whether they are biased or not. I'll leave you with some sources, even the site I found my filter on, hope it helps. If you don't trust reviewers, I'd go directly to manufacturers and just read up online a bit more to see what others have to say about the products I do like.
popular.reviews/water-softener/
www.aquasana.com/salt-free-water-softeners/whole-house-simplysoft
homeguides.sfgate.com/choose-water-softener-37046.html

Moll22 Wed 27-May-20 09:22:15

Thank you for that. I’ll look at those links too. I’ve got an independent company due to to do a survey today (distancing being upheld)

bakerely Mon 05-Apr-21 00:18:32

Hi! I live in Phoenix and we have extremely hard water here, what I got installed as my home water softener system to solve my water hardness issues was the AHWA WS1 The President that I was able to buy from this site americanhomewater.com/products/water-softeners/. It's got lots of useful features but I mainly got it for its 10-year full coverage parts and labor warranty which speaks a lot about the brand's confidence in the quality of their product. I got it for about 3 years now and so far I haven't had any issues or concerns with my unit and I actually highly recommend it.

Magnolia62 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:04:39

We have a system installed by Pure Choice, based in Glastonbury. Had to be updated over the years, but we have been very happy with it and the firm. It certainly cuts down the cleaning and eliminates lime scale and with a water filter system, it is amazing how much gunk is filtered out. Guests always comment favourably on how silky their hair and skin feels after a bath or shower.

jeanie99 Mon 12-Apr-21 01:14:54

Just remember they use salt in the softening process, no use for anyone with high blood pressure.

We buy bottled water.