Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving house after 34 years

(51 Posts)
lincolnimp Tue 02-Jun-20 00:35:49

Hi all you experienced people.
Once everything is in place we will be moving house.
Some of you may have read my posts about my OCD husband and his difficulty in sorting his 'stuff'.
I am more at ease with this He does manage a couple of hours, in total, each day, so he is trying.
But, and here's the real problem now, it's 34 years since we last moved house and this time in reverse---from a 5 bedroom to a three bedroom, with so many patio planters to be transported, contents of a shed and a potting shed as well as household contents---all to go.
Furniture doesn't worry me, its just the whole idea of the practicalities.
Any good tips please
We are having a full packing service from a reputable company but the whole idea troubles me greatly.
Also, what about actually arranging the removal firm for the date agreed by everyone in the chain. How on earth does it work?
Panic setting in

Emmy2000 Fri 08-Dec-23 07:41:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ceejayjay Thu 23-Nov-23 06:54:21

So having downsized after 20 years and still having adult children things in the home with adult children living abroad here’s my top tips

Start early - months before start decluttering. Let’s say 20 items a day, bin, charity, friends, keep.

Google packing hacks some great ideas because I didn’t hire a company.

Make lists (samples online) of things/places you need to change address with etc

Good luck it will be worth it. I ended up moving twice in 2 months but I hope I’m in my forever home now.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Nov-23 06:32:23

Reported

Kavenco Thu 23-Nov-23 00:25:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

millymouge Wed 03-Jun-20 16:11:23

Rang a removal company this afternoon and find that they understandably don’t come out to assess how much you have to move but want a virtual tour of the house to see what you will want moved. We are downsizing so on Friday a company are coming to take some of our furniture.Wehave decided to keep a few pieces we really like and get new furniture when we get there so there won’t be a lot to move. Whether they will come and pack the remaining furniture as we hoped remains to be seen. As DH says how do folk who don’t do computers manage to do something like a virtual tour. Felt rather bad but hard to ask the people coming Friday if they would be masked and gloved, was assured they would be.

lincolnimp Wed 03-Jun-20 11:10:55

Thank you for all your responses.
I suspect that some of my worries come from the fact that I do like to be organised and know what is happening ----being in charge I supppose.
I have revelled in decluttering, though there are many books I just can't give away, and have already packed several boxes myself. Serves me right , I packed most of my baking tins, so have had to compromise during lockdown!!!!!

DH is trying, read that as you will

We are moving over 200 miles, to be near the small grandchildren, so will have a bed at their home for a few days while I unpack.

I have also asked for the removal firm to finish packing 2 days before completion, so that I can have a firm in to thoroughly clean our house before we hand over the keys.

Great point about small valuables and important paperwork..

Just one extra complication we have, and the reason I won't be doing all the packing and cleaning myself.
We also have a 25 month old Foster Child living with us, who will also be moving with us, so not so much spare time and energy to spare smile

GreenGran78 Tue 02-Jun-20 21:53:24

Some friends of mine emigrated en masse to New Zealand. 2GP, 3 adult children and spouses and 7GC. 4 households in all, 4 houses to be sold and packed up. The grandparents had a lorry repair business, which they sold. They bought two shipping containers, with permission to store them in the business’s yard.
All the family cars, packed full of treasures and breakables went in the containers. So did the furniture, bikes and all the families’ clothes and other possessions. The first container was dispatched early, to arrive before them, with enough carefully chosen items to set them up. Everything else went in the second.
The long-distance move went without a hitch, and the containers were sold, at a handsome profit.

Unfortunately my DD’s house move in Australia was a disaster. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. In addition, although we had planned on helping with the move my DH had a stroke the night before. He was lingering at death’s door in intensive care while my poor distraught daughter was left to cope as best she could. Luckily some good friends rallied round and after hours of problems and delays she finally moved in about 8 hours late.
DH had six weeks of excellent Aussie hospital care, was flown home first class with a nurse, and had a further two weeks of rather poor care in our local hospital, before coming home.

craftyone Tue 02-Jun-20 19:19:46

CBBL, I am sorry about the health problems but why the north of scotland? Unless of course you are from there. I would imagine it can be very bleak in winter, long dark days and then there is the fact that almost all couples eventually end up as one. Could either of you cope so far away by yourselves?

MerylStreep Tue 02-Jun-20 18:56:47

Gwenisgreat
I don't know what year your talking about but the FENSA certificate came in in 2002. If your move was after that why didn't your solicitor ask to see it. Same with the roof repair?

My worst experience was our removal lorry being abandoned in Budapest we were in Bulgaria ?

Nanny27 Tue 02-Jun-20 18:48:30

Oh good luck with the move! I have moved 14 times so consider myself a bit of an old hand.
My tips are.:
Make up bedding with fresh linen and include a sheet then put each bale inside a duvet cover so it's ready to go on the bed as soon as you unpack.
I never use packers, I like to pack my own as I know where everything is. Mark each box with contents and the room you want the removal people to put it in.
Clean your old house as you go. As each cupboard is emptied clean it. It saves loads to do at the end.
If you have pets, board them a couple of days before you move.
Removal firms generally confirm your moving date after you have a completion date.
Good luck.

CBBL Tue 02-Jun-20 17:50:38

Our house is up for sale, and we plan to move hundreds of miles from England to the North of Scotland. I'm really worried, despite very much wanting to move. WE also have two cats we will need to keep with us, and the journey from our existing home will take us at least three days. We will need to have a Removal Company transfer our things to a "holding" warehouse and deliver when we have actually arrived at our new home (which we can't actually look for until we have an offer on our current home!) Sadly, I'm the hoarder in our house, and feel genuinely distressed when I have to throw things away. I do regularly give clothes, books, ornaments etc away to Charities, and I know I'm really going to struggle to get rid of things. Our last move was a total nightmare, and my hubby wants to take all his beloved "Acers", plus our fruit trees in large tubs. It's going to cost us a LOT of money to move - but for health reasons, we need to be in a cooler environment (hubby has skin cancer and Asthma) We are both in our seventies, and do not have children to help (estranged due to divorces)! I wish the original poster the very best, and have every sympathy. I do believe you can get help if you are able to pay for it. Try Age UK - or any applicable Charities if you have a given health problem.

Lynda152 Tue 02-Jun-20 17:40:43

Be careful which removal company you choose. I was shocked last year when I found out that some national companies charge the full amount if the final completion has a legal glitch and the booked removal date cannot go ahead. Luckily I found this out and booked a local company instead ( rather than a national chain) who were happy to be flexible and accepted these things happen when in a chain. In the event we had to move the date as our buyers solicitor would not complete until one last query had been dealt with. It took a few phone calls to agree a new date where all 3 links in the chain could get removals on the same date.

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Jun-20 16:07:59

We moved 8 years ago after 34 years in the same house. But we upsized from a small 3-bed terrace to a large 4-bed with an acre of garden, but not a lot of storage! We did all our own packing, colour coding boxes and labelling what was in them. The same coloured labels were put on the door of each room. Inevitably we had lots of boxes labelled 'miscellaneous' but we simply put all those in a spare bedroom for relocating later. Once we had the keys, we arranged for our belongings to go into storage for a week (we booked into a B&B) while we did some redecorating in our new home. I could not live with emerald green and brown walls even for a week! When we eventually unpacked we did find a few breakages and over the years have realised a few things have gone missing, but nothing too important. Since then we have extended the house further, I have a dedicated hobby room and DH has 3 sheds. Do we have sufficient storage now? NO! Would we move again? No, simply because we never want to leave here.

lincolnimp packing and moving can be hard work and very emotional, but if you really like the house and area you're moving to it's so worth the effort. Definitely the best thing we ever did.

PennyWhistle Tue 02-Jun-20 16:00:56

We too moved after 35 years in the family home - from 5 down to 2 bedrooms. For two years up to the move we took things to local charity shops every weekend. We made this a rule for us both.

We also used the phrase - every item had to be thought beautiful or useful - or the charity shop had it to sell.

To 'dress' the house for potential purchasers to view, we knew we had to declutter too - so any furniture that would not fit into a 2-bed bungalow was given away or sold. This really helped us.

Both DH and I are hobby-lovers, so we both have a huge amount of boxes full of 'essential stuff'. We spent a small fortune on plastic stackable boxes which were labelled clearly with coloured post it notes. These were put into storage whilst the house was sold.

We found a local removals company who assured us they would take care of packing, storing, moving etc - and this was a huge reassurance. They were so efficient.

It has taken us over 2 years to get the new place just as we want it - hobby essentials included - and we love it.

Congratulations on your move - enjoy your new home smile

Jillybird Tue 02-Jun-20 15:37:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cupcake1 Tue 02-Jun-20 15:25:47

I wanted to move after 22 years here (4 bed detached) DH won’t hear of it just not interested in downsizing in fact he’s planning a big extension which would have been started if it had not been for Covid ! It will look lovely I’m sure but the mess will be horrendous and we can’t even go on holiday to avoid it! We have just had the bathroom updated and pleased as I am with it there were workmen and dust everywhere. My fault because I said if we weren’t moving I wanted this house redecorated and modernised ! I should have been careful what I’d wished for! Oh well confused. He does help every week with the cleaning though wink

Judy54 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:44:05

Lincolnimp lots of good advice here. I am sure all will go well and you will be very happy. SusieFlo "I want to upsize not downsize" that is exactly what we did much to the amusement and horror of family and friends and it is the best thing we ever did! I don't know why everyone thinks that as you get older the only way is to move to a smaller house. Go for what you want and enjoy it.

craftyone Tue 02-Jun-20 14:04:56

I also `lost` quite a few small pieces but they certainly added up. Having an inventory helped, also wrapping the `really useful` boxes in cling wrap and having a number inside that could be seen. Any potential valuables eg expensive small tools, I hid by putting paper inside the see through boxes. The cling wrap was in case, the lids came open grin but also to prevent snatch and hide. I was asked why I had numbered the boxes. Why would they ask?

I had a small removers who made 6 trips because I had an archway at the last house. There was a good hidden storage area over the wheel arches!!

I personally brought everything I valued greatly and that included my spinning wheels and all my precious ornaments and carving gauges etc. My car was loaded to the roof time after time. Paperwork never left my sight and I was able to supervise the whole move, apart from when they were in the van and I was inside the house

JMarion Tue 02-Jun-20 13:50:49

If you are in the Army (or other services) you soon get used to moving house. Both my sons had to move house many times and had packing down to a fine art!

50socks Tue 02-Jun-20 13:12:03

i downsized after 29 years, two years ago, its great. more energy and time and i now feed badgers and foxes every
night which gives me a wonderful buzz

JuliaM Tue 02-Jun-20 12:29:58

I strongly advise you to remove and transport any valuables yourself, especially small items and jewellery that could easily go astray in the hands of other people, no matter how reputable the removal company are.

My Dad trusted a long standing reputable removal company to move him into his then new bungalow 24years ago, but they managed to loose a Locked trinket box containing my Grandfathers Gold pocket watch and chain, plus several sovereigns and other items of very great sentimental value.
They claimed that they had never seen this large box, but Dad knew exactly where he had put it, along with some Antique ornaments that were packed into the same crate. Somehow it disappeared along the way.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 02-Jun-20 12:09:35

Oh, this is hard, we did a similar move, but packed ourselves, numbered the boxes and made a list of the contents of each and every box.

Sounds a lot of work, but it paid off when we got to unpacking.

Do pack a box and make sure it goes into the van last and out first with the things you will need for the first 24 hours in your new home:
tinned food,
cup, plate, knife fork and spoon for everyone
saucepan and frying pan
tea pot or coffee pot with tea or coffee
kettle
powerful electric torch
first aid kit
cat or dog food if applicable
bed linen
towels
tooth brushes and tooth paste
toilet paper
tin opener
kitchen scissors
duct tape

Before starting to pack GET RID of all the things you never use. I realise this will be difficult with your DH.

Measure your new rooms carefully and discard any furniture that is too big to fit in comfortably or is surplus to requirement.

The better you plan the easier it will be. I would never let anyone else do my packing, as it must make it dreadfully difficult to know what is in each box, but that is your choice, so I'll butt out.

Anything that is too big to go in a box, you should take a photo of before the removal starts and do make sure you and the removers agree how many boxes there are, as one at least usually gets lost in transit.

Hope it all goes well and that you will both love your new home.

4allweknow Tue 02-Jun-20 11:49:21

Moved after 33 years in house 10 years ago. I didn't go for packing service as I wanted to know what was in each box sticking label with details on front. One concession I did go for was the portable wardrobes. Fantastic idea. Moving company kept everything until we we were ready eg new house cleaned, carpet/ flooring laid and blinds fitted. We were fortunate to be allowed in for measuring up with the trades folk. Once all dine we used blow up mattresses to stay the night to be there for the removal vans x 2. You will need toiletries, linen, cutlery, kettle, whatever you feel you need for simple foods. A lot of our garden plants were potted up to take with us as well as the ones already in pots. Transported no problem. The removal company should assemble your beds. As a footnote son had full service only last year for his move. Nightmare as only room identified on box, ended up going to a store to buy plastic cutlery and paper cups first night as he and his wife ciukd not be bothered searching through all the boxes marked 'kitchen' until they found what they were looking for. Took a couple of days to find the cutlery. I had moved 5 times in 6 years in my 30s so knew from experience best to pack myself and list items on outside. The boss at the last move came in the hous, stood and looked, then commented 'a lot of of stuff but well organised'. Even the garage and shed got full marks from him. Good luck, don't weaken you'll make it.

Skyblue2 Tue 02-Jun-20 11:37:40

I wish you well lincoinimp. I think the hardest part is our attachment to things throughout our life. Shedding ‘stuff’ is like getting rid of layers. I had a major life change move recently and realised I actually needed very little and it felt very freeing!

JadeOlivia Tue 02-Jun-20 11:10:16

colour code furniture and boxes .....everything with a blue cross goes into the bathroom( put sthg blue on the door), everything green goes into garden etc .Give away as much as possible ..could make family members and friends happy and you would still get to see the items! Analyse what you really need ...15 saucepans or 3? 300 books or 30? Wrap your very fragile stuff yourself and take it in your own car ..then you won' t worry about it.