Gransnet forums

House and home

disposal of paint and emulsion

(11 Posts)
infoman Sun 07-Jun-20 06:21:51

Can I ask which is the ecological way of disposing of un used paint, emulsion as well as the paint brush's and rollers and the trays.

Is it straight to the tip?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

grandMattie Sun 07-Jun-20 06:41:47

I’d like to know too... thanks

shysal Sun 07-Jun-20 07:29:37

My local tip (recycling centre) takes paint in tins, but don't know about the equipment.

tanith Sun 07-Jun-20 07:53:04

My tip also takes paint in tins I believe they give it to local craft projects. It’s not dumped.

Grannynannywanny Sun 07-Jun-20 08:01:35

I had a clear out about 18 months ago including a few cans that were less than 1/4 full of old paint.

I was vaguely aware I’d seen a separate area for paint so sat them aside while I heaved every else in to the skips.

I asked the man which area for the paint. He told me I had to return home with them and pour sand into the tins to absorb the left over paint. He said otherwise it spilled through the machinery and caused problems.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 07-Jun-20 08:07:31

A local charity might be interested. I was able to pass mine on that way.

Hetty58 Sun 07-Jun-20 08:15:37

Our local tip has a section for paint and sends it to a recycling project - where you can buy cheap 'reconditioned' tins.

I tend to leave any DIY leftovers, (and anything else I no longer need) including paint and equipment, by the front gate.

People often ring the bell just to check that it's OK to take things. They are grateful for free supplies. Freecycle is also a brilliant way to pass things on - and get them!

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 07-Jun-20 08:33:39

Our tip doesn’t take paint unless it’s hard right through, so it has to be left for agree with the lid off, or as someone has said pour something into it to make it go hard.
Good paint can be taken to a recycling centre for reuse, but it’s a few miles away.
But quite often people are placing ads on FB for paints.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Jun-20 09:23:41

Leave the lid off if there s only a little bit and let it dry out hard then it can be put with the rubbish

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Jun-20 10:14:06

I advertise mine on my local Freecycle and it usually goes.

kittylester Sun 07-Jun-20 10:47:48

Thats what i was going to say charley or we have people on our local Spotted site asking for it.