Gransnet forums

House and home

vacuum packed storage bags - need something to deflate them

(10 Posts)
Franbern Mon 08-Jun-20 09:22:59

Okay, I know these are very useful, and would really like to get some to keep the spare bedroom duvet and bedding, etc.

However, have discovered that my wonderful Gtech cordless vacuum cleaner cannot be used for these as it has no hose outlet.

Have looked at getting a small electric pump and deflator to use for these bags, but wondered if anyone has used such things for these vacuum bags. If so, would they work. Notice some of these bags are sold with a hand pump, etc. Has anyone tried that?

Not interested in anything involving the pumping up of things, just the ability to take out the air in the vacuum bags.

tanith Mon 08-Jun-20 09:29:18

Do you have the hand held version as well? With my hand held part of my Dyson I remove whichever tool I’m using and hold the pipe it fits into in the valve and it removes the air very well. A bit slow but it does work.

Rosarie Mon 08-Jun-20 09:37:46

Vacpac Go sells vacuum bags with a device that sucks the air out of the bags ! It retails at £ 19.99

felice Mon 08-Jun-20 11:36:44

SOs Son and his wife used a vacuum for their luggage going on holiday.
They had to buy an extra suitcase on the way back and pay excess as it had not occurred to them how they would re-pack them for the return journey. Camping holiday in Greece, no vacuum cleaners in a tent !!

They still get teased about it.

kittylester Mon 08-Jun-20 13:13:34

We have a pump for blow up beds which also sucks the air out. It cost about £10.

Cherrytree59 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:19:44

I use compression travel bags (Amazon)
No need for a vacuum.

ElaineI Mon 08-Jun-20 22:18:34

We got a small pump thing with ours to suck air out.

Franbern Wed 17-Jun-20 16:23:04

felice, loved that story about the holiday, really made me laugh. I have sorted this all out now and, yes, I found that the h and held g.tech vacuum cleaner, is perfectly okay for these storage bags. Purchased pack of four good quality big bags, and on one I have now stored the spare bedroom, double duvet and cover, in the second, the four pillows for that bed, in the third the fitted bottom sheet and topper, and in the fourth a single duvet and two pillows. Now those have been vacuum packed I have gained a large shelf area in spar bedroom wardrobe. Brilliant.

Auntieflo Wed 17-Jun-20 19:26:39

Please, does anyone have any advice as to which vacuum bags are best?

Franbern Fri 19-Jun-20 08:46:12

I checked carefully on amazon, and looked at reviews. I purchased a pack of four

Not cheap......but all reviews commented on their size and durability. Very roomy and they feel strong.

CrazyLynX Cube Vacuum Storage Bags Pack of 4 Jumbo 100x80x38cm Reusable Double Zip Seal for Duvets, Clothes, Blankets