Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan help needed, please!

(23 Posts)
phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 15:16:45

Hello all,

Am going round in circles with this confused

I have an ordinary ceramic electric hob, NOT induction.

Some of my non stick frying pans are getting a bit buckled, and don't have good, even contact with the heating surface.

Our trusty ordinary saucepans (not non stick) have solid bottoms (as do I ) that from memory are constructed in a sort of "sandwich" method of ( guessing) stainless steel and copper.

Had a quick look you know where, and most seem to be suitable for induction hobs.

So, the question is will crying pans designed for induction hobs, work on ordinary ones?

(Think the other way round is a "no", but just wanted to check before ordering!)

Thank you.

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 15:17:46

Not "crying" pans,damn auto correct!

dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:21:39

Yes pans suitable for induction work anywhere but not the other way round.

dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:22:21

I have a set of Procook pans and they are amazing.

timetogo2016 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:23:56

The info on the box should give you the answer Phoenix.
I had the same problem a few years ago and the info on the box was a great help.
Sorry but that`s the only bit of help i can offer.

kaz59 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:25:32

Induction pans work on any types of hobs

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 15:29:09

Thank you dragonfly46, much appreciated!

My set of saucepans are now 19 years old, still going strong and don't need replacing, but my non stick frying pans in various sizes are not doing so well.

They are mostly Tefal, which I would have expected to be quite robust, but as mentioned in the OP, they are not making good, even contact with the ceramic hob, which is quite annoying.

I have a large ordinary frying/saute pan, which gets a lot of use and has stood up well, (again, probably has one of those solid sandwich bottoms) but really need a couple of non stick ones.

quizqueen Fri 12-Jun-20 15:29:21

I hate electric hobs and would never give one house room. That's all I can say on the matter, I'm afraid, other than try a department store or hardware shop where the staff may be able to advise you.

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:37:27

I too am a Procook fan dragonfly and have bought 2 new saucepans since lockdown.
I also have a ceramic hob.
The products are sturdy and stylish; the company is in Gloucestershire. They used dpd couriers and delivery was with 72 hours.

Gransooz Fri 12-Jun-20 15:50:19

I have a set of stainless steel saucepans bought from John Lewis that my parents bought us for our silver wedding anniversary. These are now being sold under the John Lewis name - they’re brilliant but expensive! We celebrated our 46th anniversary this year. The bases are still as flat now.
We had a new kitchen almost 6 years ago that included an induction hob which the pans are still being used on. The only one that didn’t survive this long was the non-stick frying pan. I don’t think the non-stick surfaces were quite as good as they are now. For a frying pan and wok, I now have Tefal which I think are superb.

kittylester Fri 12-Jun-20 15:53:12

Quizqueen, that was less than helpful.

I like Procook too, phoenix

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 16:05:39

Thank you kitty! Will have a look, in the hope they do some non stick frying pans.

Quizqueen unfortunar, I have to give one "house room", no mains gas here, and cannot afford it justify the upheaval to have a Calor Gas/LPG one installed.

Of course I would love a 4 oven oil fired Aga like the one in my late parents home, but, as the saying goes "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Actually, sort of on that theme, is it only me that would love an adult size rocking horse?

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 16:08:47

Damn,loads of typos in the above post, but sure you can all sort it out!

Just to be crystal clear, and not waste anyone's time, I dont need saucepans, just a couple of solid bottom, non stick frying pans.

Thank you all!

Fennel Fri 12-Jun-20 16:17:25

i agree that pans for induction hobs will also work on ordinay electric hobs.
We bought an induction hob and I love it. But had to throw out some of my old facourite hob to oven pots.
A hint for when you buy new ones for induction - take a magnet with you. If the magnet sticks to the base of the pan it's ok for induction.
I've read that cast iron skillets work on any hob, but too heavy for me and need careful maintenance. Similar for those red enamelled casserole pots - can't remember the name.

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 16:23:23

Le Crueset Fennel?

Too heavy for the way I cook!

Just want non stick, heavy bottomed frying pans.

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Jun-20 17:08:04

www.procook.co.uk/product/newprocook-professional-ceramic-frying-pan-24cm
If this works you should be able to see a frying pan ?

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Jun-20 17:08:32

There are smaller and larger bottom sizes

kittylester Fri 12-Jun-20 18:11:21

I have a larger bottom size!!! Oh, you mean the pan!

Gardenersdelight2 Fri 12-Jun-20 18:17:27

I've got scoville neverstick frying pans, saute pan and roasting dish and thoroughly recommend them. As an added bonus they are on offer in Asda at the moment

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Jun-20 18:24:59

kitty I’ve dodged asking DH “does my bum look big in this” for years, for fear of hearing it does!!

phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 19:23:16

Thank you all for the recommendations/posts/links, all appreciated.

My derriere is no longer available for comment, so to speak.

Suffice to say it is still determined to introduce itself to the back of my knees.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 12-Jun-20 20:58:54

You have your own fully integrated cushion phoenix.

Greyduster Sat 13-Jun-20 08:17:55

Prestige make a very good non-stick frying pan; I have two and they have lasted longer than most of my non stick pans. They say they are suitable for use with metal utensils, but I would take that with a pinch of salt. I also bought an omelette pan with a non stick ceramic coating and it has proved to be worse than useless.