Gransnet forums

House and home

Do we tip?

(14 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 13-Jun-20 10:13:29

As you may know, we have had the whole house redecorated. It’s taken nearly 5 weeks, and we are very happy with outcome. They have been courteous, helpful, tidy and cleaned up after themselves every day.
The cost. There were 2 men, a 62 year old expert and his 23 year old mate. Do we tip them? If so, how much?

annsixty Sat 13-Jun-20 10:36:47

If you have kept them supplied with tea, coffee, biscuits , cake etc there is no need to tip for a job done.
They are being paid to do their work.
We would end up tipping train drivers ,till assistants, everyone we come into contact with.
I do tip certain people but basically don’t agree with the concept.
I would rather pay a fair price for a fair service every time.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:58:21

When we had men in they were clean, tidy and did a couple of extras so we tipped them.

tanith Sat 13-Jun-20 11:02:31

My GS and his brother are builders and always go above and beyond when completing jobs especially cleaning up after themselves. If you feel your builders have done so then any tip you give would be much appreciated even a token amount is seen as appreciation by my GS.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 13-Jun-20 11:03:21

You could buy them some cans of beer i suppose if you feel like giving them something?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:04:02

I wouldn't tip but perhaps write a letter to compliment them on their fine work would be appreciated - we all need a pat on the back, don't we? Whether you do so with a 'proper' letter or put a recommendation on social media is up to you.

Oldwoman70 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:49:59

DH was a builder and at the end of a job he was often presented with a bottle of something (usually whiskey or gin) as a thank you

HAZBEEN Sat 13-Jun-20 12:22:14

My OH is a builder as well and he is often given a "drink" ie a tip if people are pleased with the work. It has been known for him to be given a pack of beer or a bottle of whiskey which is handy as he doesn't drink whiskey but I do!!

BlueBelle Sat 13-Jun-20 13:44:16

No definitely not, tea and cakes or cold drink and ice cream if it’s hot if there’s two men a bottle of whiskey isn’t going to work... your already paying for the job to be done

Daisymae Sat 13-Jun-20 13:46:49

If they have been paid directly by you then I would say no, to be honest it would never have occurred to me

Shelmiss Sat 13-Jun-20 13:52:27

Just before lockdown we had a wooden carport completed. Because they were perfectionists the job went over by one week, 3 weeks altogether. Yes we did tip them even though they didn’t ask for anything extra, as we thought they had gone above and beyond.

Other jobs we have had done around the house previously, then no we haven’t tipped for, bathroom, lounge decorating etc, because they did the job in the allotted time.

Each circumstance is different and if you feel it’s right to tip then do so.

goldengirl Sat 13-Jun-20 15:47:11

I think a letter - or email - of thanks to the company is more far reaching and good for staff morale than tipping which seems a bit old fashioned these days especially as many of us use cards rather than cash

grandMattie Sat 13-Jun-20 16:47:59

Thank you for all your advice.
I think DH will get a couple of bottles of fancy whisky.

welbeck Sat 13-Jun-20 18:45:25

if they have done a good job and made you feel happy then i would certainly pay them more than the price agreed.
as to how much, it depends what you can afford.
i wouldnt give alcohol. some people dont drink, or are trying not to.
being in your house, apart from the actual workmanship, how they comport themselves, their manner, the vibes they give off, are crucial to one's well being.
i would certainly want to acknowledge that.
i would probably give them £50 each extra. more if i could afford it. it must have been a big job, the whole house.
i know it is one of the few things i will never regret.