Gransnet forums

House and home

getting rid of double mattress

(11 Posts)
suey Mon 22-Jun-20 10:29:16

Please can anyone tell me how to get rid of a double mattress?
I shall have to dispose of one and understand that alhtough the local council will take it, it must be dry. How can i cover the mattress so it stays dry /if it rains?

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 10:43:14

Have you just had a new one delivered?
The plastic sheeting from that perhaps. Or failing that cut up several black bin bags and sellotape/parcel tape them all round it?

Nortsat Mon 22-Jun-20 11:54:51

We bought a plastic dust sheet from B&Q (v inexpensive) and it completely covered the mattress, which stood outside in the front garden for 2/3 days, awaiting collection.

It rained during the time, but the mattress stayed dry.

glammanana Mon 22-Jun-20 11:58:54

When I bought a new mattress a couple of years ago the delivery people took my old one away when they dropped off the new one,ask if they provide such a service.

midgey Mon 22-Jun-20 12:00:47

I paid the new mattress delivery men to take the old one away.

suey Tue 23-Jun-20 12:56:10

Thank you

Bumboseat1 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:04:37

There Was something I seen on I think it might have been on YouTube How to dispose your mattress it looked really good. Not sure if still on there !

Bumboseat1 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:10:31

Yes it’s still on YouTube how to cut a mattress in half . It looks good . Might take a while. But would save money rather than taking to the tip .

Esspee Tue 23-Jun-20 14:51:14

Responsible companies will not remove the old mattress when delivering the new one because of the risk of transferring bed bugs etc to the vans. I

FoghornLeghorn Tue 23-Jun-20 14:58:19

Esspee

Responsible companies will not remove the old mattress when delivering the new one because of the risk of transferring bed bugs etc to the vans. I

They will. They seal it in plastic first though.

sharon103 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:58:45

As MawB said, use the plastic from the new mattress.
Dust sheets are large. Tape them together.