Gransnet forums

House and home

Plantation Shutters

(37 Posts)
Curlywhirly Fri 26-Jun-20 19:04:21

We need new blinds and I quite like plantation shutters/blinds. As they are more substantial than venetian blinds I was wondering, those of you who have had them installed, do you think they make the room noticeably darker?

craftyone Wed 01-Jul-20 09:59:55

jdga, lol I hardly dust mine either. My slats are usually tilted so not much, if any, dust falls on them

jdga Tue 30-Jun-20 22:09:56

I have them & like them v much! I used to really struggle w/ the weight & fiddly cords on regular blinds...& these are much easier to (occasionally) dust, lol!

Txquiltz Tue 30-Jun-20 01:25:41

I have had plantation shutters in 3 homes. I love them! I think they cut fuel costs a bit, were easy to clean with the dusting attachment on the Hoover, went with any color or design changes and looked smart both inside and from the road. The also increase resale value.

BradfordLass73 Mon 29-Jun-20 23:14:10

Benjamin Frankling (who at that time lived in Paris) wanted to tax shutters because people were staying in bed too long on summer mornings grin

Washerwoman Mon 29-Jun-20 21:26:11

We have them and I'd never have curtsins again.But they duit the style if our bungalow well.To dust them I put an old fleece slipper sock on my hand and run my hand along each slat.Quick and easy.

MaizieD Sat 27-Jun-20 16:07:26

If you don't care for the name 'plantation' or 'colonial' shutters you could always refer to them as 'jalousies', because that's what they are.

duckduckgo.com/?q=jalousies&t=chromentp&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

craftyone Sat 27-Jun-20 15:57:07

yes shuttercraft, I have a navy blue front door and warm cream k rend. Its a pretty house, was lucky to find it

Auntieflo Sat 27-Jun-20 08:35:54

This thread is very interesting to me at the moment, as I think I would love to have these shutters in our home.
We live in a semi, would that then appear odd, if next door wasn't the same?
Should we then have them in every room?
Oh the decisions to be made, and that's only befor I even start looking for a supplier.
Craftyone, seems to have had an extremely good supplier and fitter. Were they part of a national chain?
Curlywirly, our new front door is a dark navy? blue, it matches our new electric garage door, and is lovely.

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jun-20 08:08:30

I didn’t know what they were like, so just looked it up. They sometimes get confused with Colonial Shutters, whatever they are.

They look very nice, and I see nothing wrong with either name personally.

craftyone Sat 27-Jun-20 07:22:23

I use my front downstairs shutters to increase my privacy, I keep the shutters tilted so that the light still comes in but you cannot see in. Those two front windows have split controls ie the top and bottom shutters each have their own controls. They are perfectly set up to match as though one shutter from top to bottom, I have the top on full-open and the bottom on tilt. shutters on those two windows can fold back on each other

They are not cheap, at least the white teak ones are not cheap but after paying £600 for a large curtain in my last house, then struggling to take it down in order to lift it higher because it had dropped a little, they are actually wonderful value. Here for the whole of my life and beyond. Neutral, so to add colour I can change a rug and sofa seat covers (did that) and cushions

Re mdf and the wood, I have mdf in the bathroom and there is a difference as expected. My neighbour bought his from a local company, made in uk, mdf and the difference in quality is obvious. Mine were very precisely made in China, have lovely hinges and a very positive magnetic catch. My slats are 6cm deep. The man who came to show me all the options, brought many samples and he was also the fitter, together with 2 others, one of whom is a retired cabinet maker, the most pleasant careful people

They took very special care to put joins behind window frame joins, he pointed out one house where the joins were in between window frame joins. I never appreciated that

Hetty58 Sat 27-Jun-20 03:27:59

Next door have them - but on the front (shady, North facing) side of their house - for show, I suppose. I think they just look weird on 1930s houses.

welbeck Fri 26-Jun-20 23:59:12

don't what ?

i've no idea what they are, but the name sounds off-putting to me.

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 23:17:53

Actually esspee when they're closed they're fantastic at keeping the heat in your room in the winter months and keeping it cool in the summer months.

welbeck eh? Please, don't.

welbeck Fri 26-Jun-20 22:40:42

think they'll have to change their name.
very unpleasant connotations.

Esspee Fri 26-Jun-20 22:37:57

They make a huge difference to the light and solar heating gain in any room which is why they are used in hot, sunny climates.
As this applies to us in the U.K. for just a tiny part of the year I’m unconvinced.

Curlywhirly Fri 26-Jun-20 22:36:21

Grannynannywanny we have got a dog ? and keep going on different routes so we see as many as shutters as possible (sad, I know!). Trouble is Himself keeps stopping and taking photos of peoples houses, I keep telling him he's going to come a cropper if he gets caught! We also want to paint our front door a grey colour, so we're looking at front doors too! Any suggestions for a nice grey anybody?!!!

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Jun-20 22:28:58

Chewbacca yes now that I’ve heard more about them I’m realising they are likely to be more expensive than I had anticipated.

But they do sound like a good investment. I’d love to be rid of my old venetian blinds and curtains

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Jun-20 22:21:21

Curlywhirly I think when out walking we need to slow down outside the houses with the best looking shutters. Then if the owner appears we can ask them to recommend a local stockist.

I might need to borrow a dog?

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 22:11:04

Yes, you can have them on French doors Grannynannywanny, they'd be a bit expensive I imagine but you'd only have to fit then once.

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Jun-20 22:09:13

My living room has a good sized window and also french doors. Would they work on the french doors?

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 21:55:48

I have them in my kitchen and love them. The ones at the patio doors are on a sliding rail on the floor. In this hot weather I have the patio doors open and the shutters closed but with the slats open. Any breeze blows through but you get some protection from flies. I’m very pleased with them.

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 21:45:33

A couple of minutes Hetty. You just close the slats down and wipe over the whole lot, on both sides of the shutters, with a slightly damp cloth. Job done.

Hetty58 Fri 26-Jun-20 21:38:49

How long does it take to dust all those individual slats? (That's what's putting me off.)

avitorl Fri 26-Jun-20 21:21:37

me again! Slats can be narrow or wide.Wider are generally considered to be more modern. You choose what you want to suite yourself and your window type. A good sales Rep. should give advice,come to your home and bring samples along for you to see.
I promise I'm not employed by a shutter company but I love mine after worrying whether I would really like them or not.

Furret Fri 26-Jun-20 21:20:43

How odd this thread came up now. DH is making plantation shutters as a lockdown project. Will fit them on spare bedroom window for a start and then when he’s ironed out any problems main bedrooms then downstairs.

He’s had a few problems to wrestle with but lots on the Internet. Seem very popular at the moment.