Gransnet forums

House and home

Quartz worktops, light or dark coloured?

(13 Posts)
jude2006 Tue 07-Jul-20 13:53:09

Hello Gransnetters really need your experience again.
A few months ago I was asking about what make of kitchen you would recommend. This was before lockdown and so everything had to be put on hold. Now gradually we are starting again, and on great advice from some of you, we have now had new kitchen units fitted.
We would like the worktops to be really special, so have decided to go with quartz or granite. Quite a few people have said granite needs a lot of maintenance plus absorbs spills, apart from costing more, so we're leaning towards quartz at the moment.
So now what colour do we go for? Again we are hearing not to having a dark colour as you will end up having to wipe and buff all the time, plus it shows every speck of dust and limescale: has anyone found that a dark colour is difficult to keep free from fingerprints etc?
Thanks in advance for any advice - much appreciated.

Brunette10 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:01:49

Hi we've had this colour of Quartz for nine years now in what is about to become our old kitchen as we have a new one on order. The colour obv went with our ivory kitchen and not once have I ever regretted either Quartz or indeed the colour. It's just beautiful, great to look at, very durable and does not scratch. I've never had trouble keeping them looking good or keeping them clean. I buff them up with a soft duster after a wash. Hope this helps.

Doodle Tue 07-Jul-20 14:30:22

We’ve got Corian in light grey with flecks. Always looks great. Previous kitchen was black worktop. Never again!

Doodle Tue 07-Jul-20 14:31:14

brunette you worktop looks just like ours. ?

TerriBull Tue 07-Jul-20 14:33:55

Personal choice of course, I not wild about black work surfaces or units for that matter. I have silestone a sort of Quartz, brilliant doesn't mark, it's light and flecked, again a bit like Brunettes.

Niobe Tue 07-Jul-20 15:08:03

We have a white quartz worktop and a black quartz breakfast bar and the black shows up every speck of dust so I am constantly giving it a wipe. The white worktop is easy to clean but does not show up every single speck. Being Indian I make curry several times a week but any stains and spills just come off with Flash spray.

ninathenana Tue 07-Jul-20 15:36:50

Our worktops are not quartz or granite but they are black with tiny grey, gold and beige flecks. I've not had any trouble keeping them clean.

Kittye Tue 07-Jul-20 15:40:42

I have Kashmir White granite worktops. My original choice was a dark granite, but they couldn’t supply the one I chose so the white was my second choice. I absolutely love it..it’s been fitted a good few years now and still looks good. I use a granite cleaner now and then, but find a daily wipe with a soapy cloth followed by a quick buff brings it up beautifully. It still looks as good as new

Fennel Tue 07-Jul-20 17:45:07

We had our worktops installed (quartz?) in a cream colour with sparkly bits. Our kitchen already has plenty of natural light and I find it all cheerful and conducive to 'work'.
Our neighbour, similar kitchen layout, has chosen black and I find it a bit depressing when I go in there.
But they like it - we're all different.

Purpledaffodil Tue 07-Jul-20 17:56:37

I’ve had calacatta pattern quartz worktops for a couple of years now. Really love it still, easy to keep clean and the random markings make it more interesting I think. I even have a splash back behind range cooker in the same material .

Puzzler61 Tue 07-Jul-20 17:58:28

As you’ve decided you’re going for quartz or granite,
colour-wise can I suggest you consider the area of your kitchen units?
2 years ago we replaced our worktops and we chose a dark one - which I’ve regretted as I think it makes the kitchen appear smaller.
Our previous worktop was a traditional light, veined onyx- and made the kitchen seem more spacious.

varian Tue 07-Jul-20 18:04:17

I also recommend Corian. Ours is a darkish grey which matches the slate floor. We have a very light large kitchen/ dining/ family room with white walls, windows or sliding glass doors on three sides and the kitchen units are maple or high gloss white.

Corian is much easier to maintain than granite or quartz. We have had ours for ten years and it looks just the same as when it was first installed, in spite of the fact that I am by no means a champion cleaner.

Davida1968 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:04:47

I agree with Doodle about Corian. DS & DiL have Corian work-surfaces and it's superb. It's been going strong for well over fifteen years, and it takes in its stride everything that an active family does to it. (Their Corian is a "mid" sort of a colour).