Gransnet forums

House and home

Dishwasher virgin! Advice appreciated!

(148 Posts)
phoenix Tue 07-Jul-20 18:33:55

Hello all, and good wishes to you!

Well, I'm all of a doo dah because my first dishwasher is arriving on the 24th grin

We had one in a place we rented, but it was situated in the utility room, not very practical, think we only used it twice in 3 years.

So this lockdown/working from home thing has made me realise that I often wash up three or 4 times a day shock

So we have decided to sacrifice a cupboard and have a dishwasher! I've done the research and hope I've chosen the right one.

Now, do I use tablets or liquid? Do I need rinse aid? What's the salt for?

Please don't laugh at me, I expect most of you have oodles of experience in these matters, but I dont !

Thank you!

greengreengrass Sun 30-Aug-20 23:46:08

here is smol

smolproducts.com/

greengreengrass Sun 30-Aug-20 23:31:33

Don't forget to keep your guarantee safely.

I wanted to switch from chemical based dishwasher tabs to ecologically friendly ones. And no, I don't work for them, but I was concerned that dishwasher tabs were so expensive in the local shop, also wondered what I would do if I got ill.

So signed up to smol google it and then I got free trials and get it through the post. It's fab and cheap.

Also, for maintenance would say get to know your dishwasher, it has been my best friend (I know, sad isn't it) after lockdown. There are you tube videos about how to clean it maintain it and change filter.

It is fab, not least because I find it helps with hygience, it is slimline too for us me and DD but if all is cleaned in very hot water that helps.

Also I do suffer from depression so if I can load it walk away and go in front room tidy and look at trees and listen to bird s in the morning it really helps good luck.

also do maintain contact with local tradesperson just in case. Big companies not so good i find

AnnWeber Sun 30-Aug-20 23:23:57

It's all very individual. Each machine is suitable for its own type of detergent. Try different ways and choose the one that suits you. Dishes should not remain dirty and be in powder. In my case I bought a dishwasher a year ago here ianboer and it's still as good as new. The guys from the store told me right away that pills are suitable for it and named the company. Therefore, no one knows what will fit your dishwasher.

SueDonim Fri 10-Jul-20 14:37:52

Dishwashers are also useful for doing things that are not washing the dishes. I’ve used ours to wash plastic toys, yesterday the seat of the highchair went in for a good scrub before I put it away in the attic (GD is ‘a BIG girl now, Nanna!’) and you can allegedly cook a whole salmon in a DW.

A multipurpose tool! grin

midgey Fri 10-Jul-20 14:30:56

Dishwasher man told me once that it doesn’t matter what powder/tablet you used so long as it is the same brand. You will be astounded at the damage it will slowly do to china that is not dishwasher proof.

Charleygirl5 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:25:47

It will change your life. I wonder does Mr. P think what magical properties it has? For a supposedly intelligent man, his laundry antics had me in tears.

Hopefully it will bring some freebies with it to start you off but when you look at supermarkets everything is ridiculously expensive.

phoenix Fri 10-Jul-20 13:43:34

It arrives 2 weeks from today!grin

Ridiculously excited, wish I had a sort of Advent calendar to count down the days!

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jul-20 07:10:51

glammagran, I'd be inclined to get the plumbing checked. There can be conditions that cause occasional siphoning of dirty water (from the sink/dishwasher/washer drain pipe) back into the machine - yuk!

glammagran Wed 08-Jul-20 23:25:37

Rarely have we had a problem with glasses in a dishwasher. All wooden spoons go in too. And my bone china (used rarely) has always gone in.

But in our last house (but not previous houses) and in our current house we occasionally get a smell of rotten eggs when the cycle has finished. It all has to be washed again and it can take a few cycles to go again and may not recur for weeks or months. We always check salt and rinse aid, keep the filter clean and rinse everything before it goes in. We just cannot fathom it out.

lizzypopbottle Wed 08-Jul-20 23:13:49

phoenix Thank you so much for the run of auto correct bloopers! I laughed till I cried and will probably be sore tomorrow.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 08-Jul-20 22:58:07

Make sure you clean the filters out for a good clean wash. You will be amazed what ends up in the filters even if you scrape the plates.

annep1 Wed 08-Jul-20 21:34:41

I never use salt or rinse aid, just all in one Fairy platinum. My Bosch dishwasher is going strong after ten years. I have chipped a few plates through careless stacking. You learn! I never wash very expensive stuff in dishwasher.

chocolatepudding Wed 08-Jul-20 19:51:57

My first dishwasher arrived 39 years ago when DD was 3 weeks old, DH said he had ordered some bricks so I was a bit surprised at the delivery!

When we built the new house DH came up with an idea - 2 dishwashers! I had to think it through but the china etc moves from one dishwasher to the other, there's no need to empty it (apart from the cutlery) or have a cupboard for china......I'll get my coat.......

annep1 Wed 08-Jul-20 19:43:50

Metal filters - great idea. Thanks Lewie

phoenix Wed 08-Jul-20 18:53:04

Indeed, FoghornLeghorn indeed!

allule Wed 08-Jul-20 18:39:09

Dishwashers are great, but why can't they find a more convenient place to add the salt?
I usually have to get someone to do it for me, as I cant bend down that far (or get up again!)

FoghornLeghorn Wed 08-Jul-20 18:37:02

I still tend to wash a lot of things before I put them in the washer and soak cutlery in a bowl for a while before putting it in the washer.

MayBee70. Why?

TrixieB Wed 08-Jul-20 18:24:25

Have had a dishwasher for over 40 years. Who needs to waste time on washing up?

Bumpsy Wed 08-Jul-20 18:22:29

I wouldn't be without mine! I use tablets, much easier than measuring.

Lewie Wed 08-Jul-20 17:31:46

I'm sure you will grow to love your new dishwasher! We also put the metal filters from our extractor hood in to wash every now and then - and also golf balls! smile

AlisonKF Wed 08-Jul-20 16:51:04

I have just had to buy a new dishwasher after the old one died at the age of 13. It arrived with directions and sample tablets. Also advice on rise aid, which the old one did not use. My washing machine died at the same time and has provided a lot of hassle mainly by a mouse gnawing through the water pipe. What I noticed was that the first thing engineers do is to get out a large computer. Seems all appliances are reliant on these, like almost everything else. So goodbye , to the obliging local man who did repairs over the years for a modest cash payment

Ziggy1914 Wed 08-Jul-20 16:49:31

The fairy tablets are the best gets every thing clean and a lovely after smell rinse aid is good for glass and you need the salt for a smooth running of the dish washer

f77ms Wed 08-Jul-20 16:24:46

I've had a dishwasher for around 35 years amd wouldmt be without. I use either finish or persil tablets because i can get them from our £1 shop 12 for £1. Ive used aldis own and they work just as well as any others. I dont use salt or rinse aid! I use a dishwasher cleaner around on, ce every 3 months. I rinse the dishes under the tap before loading and clean the easily removable filter every 3 days.

EmilyHarburn Wed 08-Jul-20 16:06:10

I have had a dishwasher since the 1960's. I think the first one sat on the counter and a man came to visit to advise me what not to put in it for example the coloured anodised lids to my saucepans.

I would not be without one. I buy my diswasher tablets on Amazon as then I can be sure of my supply.

Finish Quantum Ultimate Dishwasher Lemon Scent, Pack of 85 Tablets
RRP:£28.00
Price:£18.21 (£0.21 / count) & FREE Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20.00 . Delivery Details

I also buy from a supermarket the dishwasher powder but that is to use to rescue burnt saucepans. Shake the powder over the bottom of the burned saucepan pour on a little boiling water to cover the black bits. Leave overnight and then scrub off.

My mother aged 70 plus got rid of her dishwasher when it broke down with the result that when her eyesight failed we had to keep rewashing everything. She could have continued to stack a new dishwasher and been fine.

There is an art to stacking dishwashers effectively but you can look that up on U Tube. Hope you get long and good service from it.

Purpledaffodil Wed 08-Jul-20 15:57:23

And another thing! Don’t think anyone has mentioned how useful they are if you’re doing a lot of cooking/baking. All those messy basins and spoons just get cleaned by the dishwasher fairy.
Crystal glasses can’t go in without getting very cloudy quickly. Cheapie everyday ones do get cloudy but then recycled and replaced. ?