Gransnet forums

House and home

Planning the home space- how?

(6 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Fri 10-Jul-20 05:50:57

How do you plan your space at home? Next month I'm planning to move out (rn I live with my DD) and I'll be living in a smaller house which is absolutely perfect for me. The only problem is that I seem to forget all the place organizing things as I want my new place to be minimalistic but also spacious? I'm a little bit of a mess rn!

Moll22 Fri 10-Jul-20 08:59:30

Hi JNFTB, that sounds exciting. I like a place for everything, don’t like cluttered rooms- I try and make sure things can double up for storage - like a coffee table or footstool, also don’t forget the walls- you can make a room look bigger if you have shelving going up the wall especially using alcoves or corners.
Blending colours of cupboards with the wall colour helps, as does a sofa having legs so you can see the floor underneath - helps make the room look bigger. Maybe having blinds instead of curtains, helps to streamline a room.
Good luck!

CorneliaStreet Fri 10-Jul-20 09:10:27

Well, I used an interior design program when we moved out and it helped me with planning. Some general advice, tho: make sure your furniture is a suitable size and function for your space. Look for multi-purpose furniture and things that can be repurposed, it will save your space. Use your vertical space, don’t forget about walls and ceilings when planning storage, shelves can contain just as much things as any other big cupboard.

JennyNotFromTheBlock Fri 10-Jul-20 09:13:53

Moll, thank you! I love playing with colors so I will certainly use the tricks to make the rooms look bigger.

JennyNotFromTheBlock Fri 10-Jul-20 09:14:52

Cornelia, thank you!! Do you remember the name of the program you used? Also thanks for the advice, I tend to forget about the walls and make the room crowded with little cupboards and tables

CorneliaStreet Fri 10-Jul-20 10:11:43

Jenny, it's interior design 3d from ams-photo-software.com/interior-design-3d-software/ The amount of furniture they offer is not that wide but it will help you to ordanize the place with the things you plan to have