Gransnet forums

House and home

Any advice on what size house to buy?

(60 Posts)
flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 08:22:14

I've posted previously on buying a 2nd home to be nearer my daughter and her family.
So. We've seen a nice small flat, one bedroom, garden. But compact. But also no maintenance. £100k.
If we want a bit more space, it would be a Victorian terrace. Which would give us, usually, another small bedroom, and, perhaps, a dining room. A back yard, rather than a garden. Plus maintenance issues. This would cost us another £30-£40k.
We have budgeted to spend up to £150k.
I would be interested to hear whether people think it would be worth paying the extra chunk for more space.

Bazza Sun 12-Jul-20 12:05:39

A house would be a much better investment in the long run IMO, who ever is left to! Personally outside space would be crucial for me. A second bedroom would be very handy.

Lancslass1 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:29:01

If it is a second home I would go for the flat with a garden.
Are you likely to spend as much time there as in your main home?
It doesn't seem like it .
Since it is to be situated near to your daughter I wouldn't worry about having an extra room in case people came to stay.
We used to have a sofa bed for that reason.
We had to get rid of it as it was so uncomfortable

Yellowmellow Sun 12-Jul-20 12:39:32

The extra space and garden. The house for me!

flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 12:44:27

Yes, we had to get rid of a sofa bed for the same reason lancs

I'm trying not to sound mean here, and I am grateful for the advice, as it is useful, but I've twice said that the issue is that the house wouldn't have a garden (just a small courtyard) and the flat, though smaller HAS got a garden. Please read what I typed.

Babs758 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:45:32

Flat with the garden in that case!

Hellsbelles Sun 12-Jul-20 12:49:19

Think about storage , where will you store your hoover, ironing board/ do your ironing. What happens if one of you becomes I'll and you need extra space for equipment or sleeping arrangements ?
Where to dry your washing if it has to be indoors ? Personally for the extra £20-30k I'd pick the terrace.

GrandmaKT Sun 12-Jul-20 13:00:44

I think I'd go for the second bedroom if possible, so you can have GC to stay and maybe the occasional visitor, or room for hobbies? I think a yard or patio with plant pots would be preferable to a garden with grass because of maintenance while you are away (and when you're there!)

sarahellenwhitney Sun 12-Jul-20 13:03:41

flopen
If you are going to make use of the extra space then yes or look at it as an investment as in my book space sells.

Haydnpat Sun 12-Jul-20 13:15:15

If you are having doubts about the flat now,if you buy you will find you will come to regret it . Speak from experience!

Nannan2 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:54:22

This sounds like gloating to me.some don't have the option to buy one let alone a second property.sorry if you think that's harsh.But that's how it looks.you could have asked the people you know personally for advice on this.hmm

GreenGran78 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:54:51

When I think of flats, I always think of neighbours, possibly noisy ones..

grannytotwins Sun 12-Jul-20 14:02:33

It sounds as if neither property suits you. Flats are a nightmare. Leasehold, lots of restrictions like tv aerials and satellite dishes, washing etc. Charges can go up. My father had to pay £400 a month for his. Hated it and moved to a house. A freehold house is a far better option, but one with small garden and definitely you’ll be glad of an extra room. The flat sounds so cramped. Just don’t buy a property that needs loads of maintenance.

HillyN Sun 12-Jul-20 15:02:48

I think a lot depends on how long you intend to stay there at a time. You won't need a lot of storage space if you are only there for a few weeks at a time. Even if you wanted to take grandchildren there, they would probably think it was great fun to sleep in the living room on a blow-up bed. Is the flat on the ground floor? For me, a flat with no stairs would be a big advantage over the terraced house, especially as I got older. I would also want a garden, but that is a personal choice, as I love gardening.

J52 Sun 12-Jul-20 15:05:03

We had a second home, flat in London, surrounded by beautifully tended gardens, overlooking Kew. We rarely went into the gardens, so when we were looking to find a new 2nd home it definitely had to be a house with our own garden.

Esspee Sun 12-Jul-20 15:38:02

Nannan2. You seem to have personal issues if you grudge the OP a second home. If people have worked hard and saved enough then I don’t grudge them the benefit of a place nearer their family.
flopen As everyone has been saying it really depends on how much time you intend to stay there each year. Have you considered ever moving there permanently? What about if one of you died? Would the other one want to settle closer to family?
Whatever you decide, enjoy it!

Applegran Sun 12-Jul-20 16:05:49

If it were me I'd go for a house every time. It also occurs to me to wonder if the flat would be leasehold - which can lead to lots of problems. Also how the block of flats is managed, which can also be problematic, and how much noise you'd hear from neighbours might be an issue too. Of course in the end you need to do whatever seems best for you. Good luck either way!

Lizbethann55 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:00:27

I would wait a couple of weeks. The raising of the stamp duty limit will mean that lots of people will be planning on moving, mostly upsizing, and the market will soon be flooded with some real bargains. My DD has decided to move and there are already far more houses on the market than last week. Does it have to be one or the other? I would give it a few more days then start checking out Rightmove. I , personally, would not fancy just one bedroom. Victorian houses tend to have steep staircases.

avitorl Sun 12-Jul-20 17:59:22

Leaving a flat empty would be more secure than leaving a house empty for long periods of time.
I have friends who moved to a Flat because when they retired they wanted to be able to go on frequent holidays without worrying about leaving their house.
They flat is in an over 60s complex which is ideal for them.

Seajaye Sun 12-Jul-20 18:05:57

Whatever it you decide don't forget to factor in the 3% second home surcharge if you sell your current holiday flat and buy another second home. The current stamp duty holiday only applies the ordinary rates of SDLT on principal or only homes, not the surcharge rate, and 3% applies to whole of price i.e on 150k purchase price you will still need to pay £4500 SDLT surcharge for purchase of
a new second home, so make sure the extra bedroom/space/garden is worth this tax . Also you need to be mindful of any capital gains tax on the selling price of your flat..

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:31:25

I would always prefer to have a little more space if possible if I can manage it.

J52 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:38:10

Under the current rules I think you’ll find that only the extra 3% is payable on second homes.

nannypiano Sun 12-Jul-20 19:36:25

I would sell my main property and just move into a nice modern fairly new house with a manageable garden and maybe buy something cheap in the area you now live in. Best of luck anyway.

Hetty58 Sun 12-Jul-20 20:05:21

As it's a second home, do you really need a dining room and second bedroom? I'd rather have the flat with large garden as a lock up and leave option. You can get a gardener to maintain the outdoor space if necessary.

My seaside place is a ground floor conversion. It has one bedroom (converted garage), bathroom, a kitchen/diner/sitting room and a conservatory (there's a comfortable click-clack second double bed in there).

The couple upstairs have keys and the use of the garden when we're not there (most of the time). They keep it all very spick and span in exchange.

Franbern Sun 12-Jul-20 20:07:59

Surely there are garden flats with 2 bedrooms. Then you could have the best of all choices. I am not surprised at how many people seem scared of leasehold flats. I was for many years. Now I am living in my lovely flat I cannot imagine ever going back to a house. And a garden flat - for you - gives you the outside space you need. It is your second home, sure one bedroom would suffice - you could always have a really nice sofa bed in your living room for the occasional overnight visitor.

As has been said, flats are far more secure to leave for periods, as you would need to do if it is a second home, and means that you have no worries about maintenance on drains, gutters, fences, etc.etc.

Sussexborn Mon 13-Jul-20 02:07:39

You need to be aware of the length of the lease on a flat. Best if it is 99 years or more. One friend had to find £2,000 extra towards a new lift to be installed and then more needed to be done updating the common parts. Another had to find £4000 as the flat roofs needed replacing - she was very indignant as she lived on the ground floor so wasn’t troubled by the leaky roof. My brother recently had to pay towards new boilers as the heating and hot water is a jointly owned set up. Most of these places have a fund set aside for future maintenance but it rarely seems enough and you don’t have total control as you would with the house. You also need to know if the inhabitants manage the ground rents and maintenance as a residents association, or if they are owned by a company who might sell and you find the costs all rocket but I think there have been changes recently to stop this. As long as stairs aren’t likely to be a problem in the near future a house might be a better solution.