Gransnet forums

House and home

My washing machine is driving me dotty!

(21 Posts)
Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 11:36:16

Why can’t my washing machine spin cotton bath and pedestal mats?
I bought a washing machine 6 months ago and it will not spin my cotton bobbly style pedestal and bath mats. Presumably because they are heavy when full of water. But the mats say they are suitable to machine wash (and spin).
What am I to do? Buy a new mat every 4 weeks and throw away the current one?

Does anyone else find this a problem with their washing machine or have I unluckily picked a bad make (LG)?

tiredoldwoman Mon 13-Jul-20 11:42:21

Have you tried washing them one at a time - to lighten the load ?

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Jul-20 11:43:52

Or alternatively, add some towels to make the load less unbalanced.

Septimia Mon 13-Jul-20 13:03:50

I have the same problem when there's only one - soaking wet - item in the machine. It just sits in the bottom. I always wait until I can wash at least 2 things to balance the weight out.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:05:04

I am trying to wash just one - it isn’t spinning it.
I’ll try adding some towels to it and report back.
Thank you grans.

Curlywhirly Mon 13-Jul-20 13:50:54

Same here, bath mat on its own and the machine won't spin. Add a couple of towels and it spins no problem.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 14:22:26

A-MAZ-ING Ilove and Curlyw.
It’s worked with 2 towels in as well as the mat. I wouldn’t have done that as I was only thinking it would make the load heavier. But it’s about the balance in the drum. You clever people! Thanks so much !!
?

Nanderin Mon 13-Jul-20 14:25:37

Hi you need to spin on low spin then graduate higher speeds that's what I do or put a clean towel in too. Works

geekesse Mon 13-Jul-20 15:29:51

Euch! Do people really still use pedestal mats? I think they are disgusting things. A husband, sons and male visitors alike drip on them, so unless you wash them daily, they reek of urine. I keep a squeegee mop in the bathroom cupboard and Use it to wipe the floor a couple of times a day with detergent.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:33:43

When this happens I spin the article again. The second time round the machine seems to say, "Oh well, if I have to, I have to"

The trouble according to my users' manual is caused by a heavy article falling to one side in the machine, making it impossible for it to spin properly.

I have sometimes added more washing so the load is more even. This usually helps.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:06:20

geekesse I will rethink my pedestal mats in light of your concern.
I do quite like them.

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Jul-20 16:08:01

Glad to help puzzler61

welbeck Mon 13-Jul-20 19:05:45

i think you would cause a riot on MN if you posted that picture, OP !, as per geekesse comment above.

by the way, i know of homes where it is sitting only rule for all. no standing above and aiming. for this very reason.
i think these items started when it was thought luxurious to carpet bathrooms/closets. so then it was the lesser of two evils; better to wash a small bit of carpet frequently spattered, than a wall to wall one never....
there are some settings where a spartan hard floor is much more suitable.

Curlywhirly Mon 13-Jul-20 19:13:11

My mat is just a mat outside the shower cubicle, not a pedestal mat! Haven't used a pedestal mat since carpeted bathrooms went out of fashion in the 1980s ?

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 19:19:10

That is my hall WC and the pedestal just looks quite bare on the tiled floor without the cotton loop pedestal mat (I’m very old-fashioned). ?

LadyGracie Mon 13-Jul-20 20:36:01

I don’t like pedestal mats, I’ve trained DH to sit down, no drips.

FlexibleFriend Tue 14-Jul-20 10:30:25

The load needs to be balanced and very heavy items unbalance the machine, all I do is put towels in with these items to stop heavy items being flung about from side to side.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 14-Jul-20 14:31:34

I don’t like pedestal mats either but each to their own, yes I’d just balance the load out bit more by putting extra items in

OurKid1 Tue 14-Jul-20 14:36:16

It's to do with balancing, so I've been told. I get the same problem with washing a cotton jumper. As others have said, chuck a couple of towels in and it should be ok. Good luck.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 18:17:39

I washed the bath mat with 2 towels yesterday and it did a full spin, thank you. ?

Toadinthehole Wed 15-Jul-20 17:05:14

It could be the load is uneven. Sometimes, I’ve washed bedding and towels, and it won’t do the final spin. I just wash it altogether, then separate it at the end, and do two spins.