Gransnet forums

House and home

Wallpaper or paint

(16 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:27:21

For years we had both mainly a feature wall in wall paper and then the other three walls painted. Now going to have all paint just have to decide on the colours, Anyone else decided to have all rooms painted.

tanith Tue 14-Jul-20 09:30:01

Yep no wallpaper but feature painted walls.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 09:32:42

No, the opposite here. All walls going to be papered next month. According to my decorator it's now very much in fashion! Even in toilets!
All-painted walls like nice with plenty of pictures.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 09:33:14

*like *look

Whiff Tue 14-Jul-20 09:44:33

Had a new kitchen fitted last autumn. Creamish tiles and walls and ceiling painted almond white. Units where olive green. My bedroom has been painted in pale lilac walls , matt white ceiling and woodwork. My spare room being done the same at the moment. Had all new doors in unfinished Oak and my decorator has given them 2 coats of clear varnish. Will be having the hall done next year in almond white walls and ceiling and skirting board in matt white. The living room will be done next year white ceiling and skirting boards possibly pale grey walls. I live in a bungalow. In my old house had in my living room a red wall and the others where a pale cream. Would never have a red wall ever again as the dust used to cling to it.
My decorator uses all Dulux professional paints. So the finish is to a high standard. What I did to choose the colours was buy 3 pots of tester paints and put them on all the walls with name underneath and gave them each 2 coats and then lived with them for a few months made it easier to choose. Very happy with my colours. Hope that helps.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Jul-20 09:51:22

I was given a good tip to help choose colours for walls. Paint strips of lining paper, or the backs of a roll of wallpaper, with your chosen tester pots, with 2 coats and leave them to dry. Once dry, stick them to the walls with blue tack and see how you like them. Move them around so that you see them in different lights and at different times of the day and evenings. By process of elimination, you get to see which one works best, at all times of the day/light.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 09:52:47

Paint 99% of the time. No feature walls! So 1980s.

FlexibleFriend Tue 14-Jul-20 10:04:36

I've never had walls papered as I don't like patterned walls. Paint all the way here.

mumofmadboys Tue 14-Jul-20 10:08:23

Another one who doesn't like patterned walls. Looks too busy to me.

TwiceAsNice Tue 14-Jul-20 10:11:28

Hate wallpaper have never had it. My friend likes one wall papered and it looks ok but not for me. Paint always but I do like a feature wall in another colour and have also done the same feature colour inside deep windows or arches/alcoves and it looks very good but it’s personal taste isn’t it?

Americanpie Tue 14-Jul-20 10:12:02

Painted walls for me however if your walls are not perfectly plastered it can look awful. We had to have some of our walls skimmed with plaster when we stripped off the paper. Not cheap.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 10:18:09

I do have painted walls just in the lounge, but the fireplace wall around the log burner has a glittery paint. It doesn't show much in the daytime, but it sparkles nicely when the fire is burning and under the lights. (I'm beginning to sound very Essex now with patterned toilet walls and glitter!)

Charleygirl5 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:26:14

Paint for me every time. So much easier to change one's mind or whatever.

Kalu Tue 14-Jul-20 10:28:17

I do the same as Chewbacca since the 80’s when I liked the look of a colour on the paint chart but was a disaster once the room was finished. An expensive mistake which is now avoided using the tester method. I also have the radiators in each room painted the same colour as the walls which I feel blend in better.

Not a fan of wallpaper which wouldn’t work for pictures/paintings I like to hang.

DiscoGran Tue 14-Jul-20 11:22:58

We have recently painted our bedroom in Dulux soft stone shade. It looks a different colour at various times of the day. I'm loving it.

avitorl Sun 19-Jul-20 17:24:08

Definitely paint.I change my mind too much for wallpaper and can still do most of the painting myself which makes paint a cheap option too.