Gransnet forums

House and home

Under the stairs

(40 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 14-Jul-20 21:43:09

My hallway is quite narrow (I live in a typical Victorian terrace), and I've long fancied the idea of knocking out the wall under the stairs to widen it, and getting rid of the

At present, there are 6329 coats and a million shoes in there, plus odd suitcases and other 'junk'. It seems like a waste of space, but that stuff needs to go somewhere, as even with a thorough declutter there will be a lot left. On the other hand, there's only my husband and me left in the house, so there should be somewhere to put it if I get rid of clutter from elsewhere.

I have been searching online for ideas, and there are some really nice looking built-in storage units on the market. They would hide the clutter, which would look better, but won't widen the space in the hall, which is what I really want to do. Also, as the hall is narrow, the sliding drawers that would open out into it wouldn't really work.

I am hoping (Covid restrictions permitting) to get the hall, stairs and landing decorated before Christmas, and get a new carpet fitted, so it's now or never for the understair area.

Has anyone had this done, and if so, what did you do? Any tips about what is likely to be useful and what you would do differently, please?

Witzend Fri 17-Jul-20 07:25:01

Ours is more like a black hole than a glory one.

merlotgran Thu 16-Jul-20 13:43:31

DD calls hers the cupboard of doom. grin

gillybob Thu 16-Jul-20 13:14:53

I've never heard an under the stairs cupboard being called "A glory hole" before.

Mine is a wonderful walk in pantry/larder . All shelved out down to the most shallow bit at the bottom . Some of my neighbours have knocked theirs out to create a bigger kitchen and passage way but I love mine the way it is .

Callistemon Thu 16-Jul-20 12:48:17

Chewbacca

^AKA The Glory Hole according to my DM.^

It was known as that in our house too Callistemon but when I said that to DS he nearly fainted. So did I when he told me what the definition is "these days"!

Back to the thread.... Ikea have a whole range of neat storage solutions for under the stairs. The units are graduated in height so that they make the most of the available space. Not too expensive either.

Oh!
I won't ask what.

We always call it the glory hole.

JackyB Thu 16-Jul-20 11:48:57

Don't replace the stairs with an open staircase without risers. We had a new staircase recently and the carpenters said most of their jobs these days were replacing the risers in open staircases because people were fed up with the draughts and with dust, fluff and muck falling or getting kicked through.

Mind you, the dust and fluff that accumulates in our area is horrendous.

It's especially bad if the stairs are carpeted. My desk is under an open staircase going from the first floor to the roof and it's a nightmare to keep clean.

Fennel Thu 16-Jul-20 11:40:29

loopyloo - do you mean a toilet etc? Friends had a toilet room built into their under stairs space .
There's some method of getting rid of the smells etc.
Just thought of other friends who did the same thing.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jul-20 22:31:04

AKA The Glory Hole according to my DM.

It was known as that in our house too Callistemon but when I said that to DS he nearly fainted. So did I when he told me what the definition is "these days"!

Back to the thread.... Ikea have a whole range of neat storage solutions for under the stairs. The units are graduated in height so that they make the most of the available space. Not too expensive either.

LadyBella Wed 15-Jul-20 22:20:57

Look at the website HOUZZ for fabulous ideas. Also Ikea are great on storage. Definitely get rid of what you don't need. I always feel better after decluttering. If you haven't worn or used it for 2 years you probably never will.

FarNorth Wed 15-Jul-20 22:15:04

Joking 3nanny6? Surely not.
I believe there are GN rules about being totally serious at all times.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jul-20 22:06:51

Of course I don't! I was exaggerating for effect grin.

timetogo2016 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:46:27

Blimey...how far do the stairs go up ? do you need oxygen ?.
I only have six coats and eight pairs of shoes.

loopyloo Wed 15-Jul-20 15:39:54

Do you have a downstairs cloakroom? That would be really useful.

3nanny6 Wed 15-Jul-20 14:43:42

6329 coats and a million shoes surely you are joking nobody could have that much stuff.
I shall stop being so bothered about my own assortment of clothes and shoes now as it is nowhere near that amount.

First thing you need to get done is clear away all that stuff one of the charity shops will come and collect it all for you if you give them a call. Good luck I am soon doing the same as I want to get some new carpet fitted soon.

tanith Wed 15-Jul-20 14:24:39

??

Judy54 Wed 15-Jul-20 14:18:35

Wow Doodledog 6329 coats and a million shoes (Imelda Marcos comes to mind) is this a typing error or do you really own that many coats and shoes? You would need to wear a different coat every day for the next 4/5 years to make use of them all. Definitely need to get rid of some before investing in a new storage system. My mind boggles that anyone would own that many clothes and shoes.

Callistemon Wed 15-Jul-20 09:50:47

Coolgran65

Tanith, this is exactly what ours is. Wa!l removed to make a bigger room. However under the stairs is still boxed in.and the sofa is across it. There is actually nothing stored in there and only last week I mentioned doing this to dh. The seed is sown.. And now I will show him your pic.

there is actually nothing stored in there
shock I'm wondering how that is possible!

But, yes, I should get rid of a lot of stuff.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jul-20 09:50:15

I've been helping a neighbour sort out her 'stuff' over the past few weeks. Her husband died some time ago. We found 15 new unopened shirts.

That's not the worst I've known of. My friend cleared out her late mother in laws house. There were 135 skirts ? Nearly all the same. Those elasticated waist ones with the funny colours.

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 09:32:07

My ex H. Used to buy stuff ....” I liked it so I bought two”... I was convinced he must have had another me somewhere....

Witzend Wed 15-Jul-20 09:26:51

Unless you’ve got a nice handy utility room, or a suitable cupboard in a big kitchen, where do you put e.g. the vacuum cleaner, if you don’t have a cupboard under the stairs?
My dd has no cupboard under the stairs - absent when they bought the house. It does make the hall seem more spacious but she’d love the extra storage.

Talking of coats, after his health deteriorated, a friend of ours who was always buying clothes and all sorts of gadgets, once asked dh to go through with him all his coats and jackets that were hanging in a big hall cupboard, plus in a porch outside the back door.

There were over 40! Several had never even been worn, still had the labels attached. They were all in good condition.

He still kept about 20, but the charity shops benefitted from the rest.
After he died, his wife found multiples of all sorts of gadgets - e.g. half a dozen electric razors and blood pressure monitors. When I asked why he’d buy so many, she supposed that when he couldn’t find the first (the house was so stuffed) he’d just buy another, rinse and repeat.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jul-20 09:17:27

Doodledog
It doesn't have to cost a fortune. If you see an idea you like, save it and then ask around for good carpenters. There are a lot of talented people out there who could copy the idea without charging you eye watering prices.
You should see the outside bar my OH made for my neighbour. Made from pallets ( we got those for free)

annep1 Wed 15-Jul-20 09:09:34

My daughtet and SiL had a house with the wall removed. When the children were in bed we had to be very quiet and tv turned low. I like the dividing wall.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jul-20 08:54:53

Oh, I would love to smile. I once saw a series where de-cluttering experts moved in and coerced the family to throw out huge amounts of 'stuff', and then architects/interior designers altered the house so that it worked most effectively for the family.

It looked so easy, but there was a lot of imagination and expertise behind the scenes. Some of the results were amazing though. Unfortunately, I dread to think how much it all cost, when the experts, labourers and decorators were all paid! My budget will run to a carpenter, carpet fitter and a decorator, and I may even have to stagger that.

Having said that, it would be very difficult to have TV cameras and crew in your house, deliberately exposing your untidy bits shock. They might migrate my 'glory holes' to the Hoarder Next Door series instead.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jul-20 08:37:21

See if you can get the design programme Watch this space
( on bbc2) I think.
There were some amazing ideas for 'under the stairs.

Anniebach Wed 15-Jul-20 08:15:15

I would love a house with a staircase, I couldn’t climb the stairs
but I would have an under the stairs

Doodledog Wed 15-Jul-20 08:02:32

I know I need to declutter, and am slowly doing so.

As I said. though, a good part of what I am hoping to do is to widen my narrow hall.