Gransnet forums

House and home

I have been re chuffed! (Dishwasher blues, second verse)

(23 Posts)
phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 19:02:59

Hello all,

Well, looks like I may be able to have one after all! ?

Bit of cupboard juggling, (our lovely local chap came up this morning, yes, on a Saturday!) and worked a bit of magic, so dishwasher due to arrive on Wednesday!

Might be a slight problem with some pipes, but told its not insurmountable.

Very happy!

Peardrop50 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:09:44

Congratulations Phoenix, time to cook up a storm, as many pans as you can until Wednesday, load her up and put your feet up. I say her as I call mine Harriet as in Beecher-Stowe.

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 19:34:27

Thank you Peardrop!

Afraid I will still be washing up by hand until it is installed, can't stand the mess!

Although delivery is scheduled for Wednesday, it may not be fully functional until Saturday or Sunday, but I've waited this long, a bit more won't hurt!

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 19:36:10

Brilliant news Phoenix, it's all come out in the wash afterall! blush

I'll bet Wednesday can't come quick enough!

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 20:22:18

Chewbacca You are not wrong! Even though the machine might not be functional until next weekend!

I mentioned in the previous thread that we were waiting for our local chap to come and see if it might be possible to move the cupboards around.

He said it should be doable, but wasn't sure until he started as to what it might cost, but let him know when delivery would be.

Well, I messaged him this morning, to let him know that I had at last managed to order the one I wanted (had been out of stock) and told him it was due for delivery on Wednesday.

He got back to me immediately, said he would be up later. Today! Saturday! (When he came last week to assess the situation he asked me to let him know when it might be delivered, so he could work on a schedule, asked if I would be ok with him doing it in the evening if need be!)

So, up he came, took one cupboard out, moved another one to make it all fit, and job done!

All done and dusted within about 30 to 45 minutes.

Guess how much he charged?

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 20:45:15

£200? Sounds like a morning's work, plus tools and labour so yes, £200.

kittylester Sat 25-Jul-20 20:49:00

Nothing, because you are Phoenix.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 20:55:35

Come on Phoenix, put us out of suspense!

B9exchange Sat 25-Jul-20 21:01:11

She's gone off to celebrate! wine grin

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 21:05:09

You are all WAY out!

The wonderful Ian was here for 45 minutes max, had 1 coffee (white,1 sugar) no materials, just labour......£20!

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 21:07:06

I expect you can see why he is our first port of call!

Does general building stuff, won't do plumbing or electrics, but he's brill at everything else!

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 21:20:29

£20? shock Is that all? Ye God's! I'd marry him!

So have you now got the amount of cupboard storage space as you were planning on originally? You won't need to go through another decluttering?

<wanders off shaking head>

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 21:30:36

Have lost a 600m cupboard, but will happily rearrange the storage in order to have a dishwasher!grin

Ian is BRILLIANT! We have used him for quite a few jobs, he is reliable, works hard and fast!

I think we might get better service and rates because we pay "on the bounce", i.e. the invoice comes in, we pay by BACS the same day.

Find with local independent sole traders you get much better service (go to the top of the queue wink) if you do it that way!

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 21:34:22

Oops, sorry, yes, no less storage than the original plan. So no further compulsory decluttering, however my cases may go as I don't seem to use them much.

(Phoenix wanders off singing "you don't bring me flowers, anymore")

sodapop Sat 25-Jul-20 21:35:58

Are we having a virtual inaugural installation party Phoenix ? ( try saying that after a wine or three )

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 21:38:36

I'm looking for a chap like Ian to fit 2 roller blinds, one over a staircase drop; put some shelves for gardening tools and pots etc, and hooks for the strimmer and cables, in the shed and take that hideous number plate off the wall at the front of the house and replace it with something less ugly. I'll pay him £20 cash. When can he be here?

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 21:46:45

Sodapop I think a small celebration when the first load is switched on may well be in order, I certainly will be doing the happy dance around the kitchen?

Chewbacca Ian would definitely be your man, but as he's based in Shebbear, North Devon, it might not be cost effective for him!

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 21:53:16

Cheshire here... but I'm willing to come and collect him!

You'll love having a dishwasher Phoenix. I got mine, for the first time ever, just a year ago when I moved house. It's only a small one but I'm astonished how much I can get in it. I've had a bottle of washing up liquid for a year and its not even 1/4 used yet! I even put a non slip bath mat in it last week because I read that dishwasher tablets are good for stopping them getting mildewed. Get the bubbly on ice! wine

phoenix Sat 25-Jul-20 22:40:04

Thank you all!

I'm definitely not pimping Ian out, he's far to much of a treasure!

Chewbacca There may well be some Cava involved at the inaugural switching on!

However, I will not be doing what one GN member once said, which is putting the toilet brush in confused

Callistemon Sat 25-Jul-20 22:58:17

phoenix

Sodapop I think a small celebration when the first load is switched on may well be in order, I certainly will be doing the happy dance around the kitchen?

Chewbacca Ian would definitely be your man, but as he's based in Shebbear, North Devon, it might not be cost effective for him!

I'll pay his petrol and make him as many coffees as he likes.

Everyone needs an Ian.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 23:10:34

Back off Callistemon! I saw him first!

annodomini Sat 25-Jul-20 23:44:56

When mine was installed, I couldn't make it work at first. On investigating, I found that the installer hadn't plugged it in. It's been working for 14 years ever since. (fingers crossed)

phoenix Sun 26-Jul-20 07:58:15

I meant VASES up there! ^ ^