Gransnet forums

House and home

Smelly washing machine!!

(19 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 04-Aug-20 09:35:49

My washing machine is about four years old I regularly (every three months)run a 90degree wash,on empty except for Half a packet of soda crystals and half a bottle of white vinegar, I actually did this last night it runs for about three hours!! However on opening the washing machine door this morning it still smells,I don’t know what to do any suggestions please?

Charleygirl5 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:38:27

There was a very recent thread on this subject- maybe somebody else came up with a good idea.

Dibbydod Tue 04-Aug-20 09:43:18

May I suggest it should be white vinegar with Baking Soda ...not Soda Crystals ...........on hot wash of about 50 degrees .....

TrendyNannie6 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:47:11

Can be a real common problem this happened to me with my last washing machine exactly same age as yours, do you leave the door ajar after washing, I never did, I have new washing machine now after each wash I dry the drum leave door open and dry inside the soap dispenser leave that open only an inch too, I had discovered black marks inside the rim of the seal even though I used to clean inside, it just had an awful smell all the time, despite using well known washing products on the hottest temp to clean, I use Persia powder now rather than the liquids, but was told sometimes the powder won’t dissolve properly, it should do as use it on hot wash, but I do wonder if using some of the thicker fabric conditioners don’t help

TrendyNannie6 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:47:59

Persil

jaylucy Tue 04-Aug-20 09:53:04

Try one of the washing machine cleaners that are available.
I found that when I did the same thing as you did, with the 90 degree wash etc, that was when the problem started!
With my current machine, the door is left ajar and I also use an Eco egg instead of the usual washing powder/ capsules, and my machine only smells if my son shuts the door after he ahs used it!

mumofmadboys Tue 04-Aug-20 09:59:49

Always leave door open. I think that helps

maryrose54 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:01:09

I had this problem Shinamae, until I read a post on GN from someone who suggested switching from washing liquid, which I had been using, to washing powder. Gave it a go and no more nasty smells. Just Tesco automatic non bio wash powder, nothing expensive.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:04:16

Make sure there isn't water in the rubber seal at the door, and that the soap dispenser is clean.

By doing this and always leaving the machine open when it isn't in use, I have got rid of this problem.

I use washing liquid and have never had a problem with it.

DiscoGran Tue 04-Aug-20 12:25:08

I haven't used conditioner for many years as i find the smell overpowering. My clothes and machine are the better for it. When you consider that it is made with some fatty substance it's no wonder it gums up and makes the washing machine smell bad.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:34:12

Temperature of water makes all the difference. I always use 95c on my linen which is all white, that’s sufficient to kill any bacteria that causes a smell.

jusnoneed Tue 04-Aug-20 12:57:57

I always leave the door and the drawer open a bit (after wiping around seals with dry cloth) and that seems to help. Occasional wash with washing soda added, sometimes a dose of white vinegar.
I stopped using softener a year or so ago and found the machine stays a lot cleaner, no more gunky black dispenser drawer to scrub.

Shinamae Tue 04-Aug-20 21:19:15

Thank you all for your advice, I always leave the washing machine door open and the dispenser draw a little bit. I stop using fabric conditioner about three months ago and I alternate between powder and gel. I did a wash this morning and put some citronella oil in the drum before I started the wash just a few drops and wash came out smelling lovely but the machine still doesn’t smell good ?

Shinamae Tue 04-Aug-20 21:20:02

And I usually wash on a 40° wash but for bed sheets and towels i use 60° wash

Doodledog Tue 04-Aug-20 22:07:17

I use a capful of Zoflora every now and then. I tend to use the Fresh Linen scent, but it doesn't matter. I just put it in the dosage drawer and run the machine on a quick wash. A bottle costs less than a pound in Home Bargains, and lasts for years, as you really just need a capful.

Patsy70 Mon 10-Aug-20 13:17:25

White vinegar & baking soda, as recommended above. I no longer use softener in the drawer, as advised by someone on this forum, but use a little white vinegar on a white/light coloured wash instead. Also, always leave the door & drawer open a little after use. My washing machine no longer smells. I also spray vinegar around the interior of my dishwasher, always remembering to clean the filter too.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 13:24:36

I had that problem, and posted about it!

My wonderful local repair chap, Appliance John, suggested using a dishwasher tablet, adding several litres of hot water to the detergent drawer, then running as hot a programme as your machine can manage.

It worked! grin

Although I have since bought a new machine, mine was 15 years old and although working, made a noise like a plane taking off when on spin cycle.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 13:28:17

Another thought, does your machine have a filter you can access? (My old one didnt, new one does) It might be behind the plinth, if it is, try cleaning that.

SpringyChicken Mon 10-Aug-20 13:42:56

Use powder not liquid detergent.
Run a 60℃ programme every week (eg for towels). No need to run a special programme with empty drum.

Don't use fabric conditioner.

Add a slurp of disinfectant to the final rinse via the conditioner compartment.

Dry the seal and inside the drawer compartment (pull the drawer out completely) and leave both open for several hours. Leave the door ajar as much as possible.