Gransnet forums

House and home

new carpet

(14 Posts)
joanna12 Wed 05-Aug-20 08:31:14

hello.I had a new carpet fitted with new underlay about two weeks ago,and i really wish i hadn't,it really annoys me know its a silly problem but it shows footprints etc and i dont know why this is,its similar to my other carpets all 8 years old so maybe thats the reason and they started off like that i just didn't notice,plus its looks like different shades,other half thinks i am mad,other carpets just vac this one has special attention i vac one way so colour is the same plus i vac myself out of the room and then it looks lovely until you step on it,i wonder will this stop being a problem when the underlay wears in,i really cant think what to do,i try not to look down to much,any advice would be helpful.many thanks

Esspee Wed 05-Aug-20 08:35:29

I love that look. Once it gets old it will look uniformly dull.

joanna12 Wed 05-Aug-20 08:45:05

just bugs me,know bigger things to worry about but it didn't look like it would be that way from the sample or i wouldn't have bought it even wondered if i had the right carpet fitted.I know its fussy,but i wish i had kept my eight year old worn carpet and i should be feeling lucky.thank you

Puzzler61 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:03:32

I was told Saxony and Berber style carpets are about the only ones that aren’t prone to “shadowing” when trodden on.

Puzzler61 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:04:20

Told by a well known national retail park carpet company ?

Hetty58 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:20:14

joanna12, I think you've become fixated on the appearance of the carpet. Try to focus on other things. It will probably wear in and lie flat given time.

I do recognise that horrible disappointed feeling, though, when a new purchase doesn't live up to expectations!

joanna12 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:34:54

Thank you,think I am fixating on it,asked on here for advice because I think I moaned to my limit with my husband,know it's silly but wanted a new carpet for so long now feel so disappointed.

NotSpaghetti Wed 05-Aug-20 09:50:26

I would be disappointed too. Do you have the sample you chose from to compare?

If I were you I would get hold of it and compare. It will be easier to live with if it’s the same and it’s basically “your fault” than if you forever think you may have the wrong one.

If you don’t have a sample, ask the company if you can please have one as it just doesn’t look quite right to you. I’d say, “ I know this must sound bonkers but I’d like to just put my mind at rest...”

Good luck.

J52 Wed 05-Aug-20 10:21:13

It’s the small samples that don’t show the overall effect. I once had this problem and called the carpet shop owner back to look. He brought the sample with him and it was correct, but I hadn’t noticed the shadowing in the smaller sample.
I learnt to live with it and it did seem to diminish over time.

TheWincert Thu 06-May-21 16:02:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jaxjacky Thu 06-May-21 16:21:16

Ours is the same, medium grey, but it doesn’t bother us.

3dognight Fri 07-May-21 15:11:59

I know exactly what you mean.
I have wood flooring, with a nice rug in each room. They look gorgeous and’fluffed’ up when vacuumed, the minute me or the dogs or DH walk on them they look messy again, it could drive me mad....if I let it.

I don’t let it. I look at them and enjoy for a moment how nice they look, also I know they are free from fluff and dog hair. Then just forget about it till the next day. So just enjoy a brief minute while it looks nice, then don’t dwell on itsmile

Juliet27 Fri 07-May-21 15:17:18

Jaxjacky

Ours is the same, medium grey, but it doesn’t bother us.

Mine's the same but it does bother me ?

M0nica Fri 07-May-21 19:14:35

My parents moved house and DM did not like the carpets. However, nothing she looked at was quite right, it was the colour or the texture etc

Seventeen years later, still with the original carpet in place and almost threadbare, she died. After the funeral and other obsequies. DF went out, chose a carpet and had it laid. It looked fine.

It is 40 years or more since we last had a carpet with pile, I simply cannot remember what it is like. Our current house is all wood floors and rugs, previous house had berber throughout.