Gransnet forums

House and home

Sofa bed - recommendations needed please

(15 Posts)
fevertree Fri 07-Aug-20 11:24:12

I need a good quality sofa bed for a spare room and am going cross-eyed with options available online.

If you have any recommendation for a comfortable double sofa-bed, I will be most grateful. Looking for 'tried and trusted' opinion ?

(P.S I definitely don't want a trundle!)

Peardrop50 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:33:34

Our son and daughter-in-law have had a smart looking, double, wooden framed sofa bed from IKEA for at least 17 years. Mr P and I have spent three or four days at a time, a couple of times a year sleeping very comfortably. I know they have other occasional guests and I know the family spend time sitting on it in the second sitting room, even the dark blue cover is the original.
We once had a double, wood slatted futon from IKEA which was ok but vey ugly looking.
Good hunting.

Mamissimo Fri 07-Aug-20 11:37:18

We have an IKEA one which is comfy to sit on and a very comfortable bed......however.....it's a fold out heavy metal frame type one and was a monster to put together and to unfold. When you set it up as a bed you have the huge seat cushions and back cushions to put somewhere else. I love it with buts

HAZBEEN Fri 07-Aug-20 11:45:11

We have just had a new sofa bed delivered that we ordered from Furniturevillage pre lockdown. It was a bit on the expensive side but having tried it out for the night it was worth it. Its a Nicorletti from Italy. You dont need to pull off any cushions to set up, grab the back pull forwatd and it folds out. Good sprung mattress not the usual memory foam type. No central bar to press into hip or back.
We live in a one bedroom flat so often need the sofa bed for guests or Mr H when I am having a bad night of pain (or snoring!!).

BlueSky Fri 07-Aug-20 11:55:35

We were looking for the same thing, we quite fancy a double futon, has anybody got one of these?

ayse Fri 07-Aug-20 12:02:58

Have a look at the sofa bed barn. My daughter bought a double futon for her spare room. It’s not hugely comfortable to sit on but it’s very comfy to sleep on. You can get samples of the fabrics that interest you. She bought a deep turquoise/blue colour.

Their furniture is designed for narrow boats; they are based in Bradford and their online reviews are great. Good prices too.

I’m going to use Sofabed expert for my new convertible settee/bed.

They are both independent companies rather than big chains and very good prices too.

ayse Fri 07-Aug-20 12:05:29

Oh and additionally, many of the sofa beds have under bed storage.

It took me ages to fine these independent suppliers.

BlueSky Fri 07-Aug-20 12:25:38

Thanks Ayse will have a look!

MattJo Fri 07-Aug-20 13:24:44

Blue sky- my son has a double futon in his spare room and it is very comfortable - firm, but we prefer that. It is very heavy, though, so moving it needs brawn.

fevertree Fri 07-Aug-20 15:41:57

Thanks, everyone! smile

Franbern Fri 07-Aug-20 18:42:03

I purchased a sofa bed for my spare room from DFS. I wanted one that became more or less a full size double bed (4'6"), but as I already had two nice bedside tables and limited space, I wanted one that did not have space taken with arms when it was a sofa. Got one in DFS which serves perfectly. I wanted it more as a bed than a sofa, so it was the ease of use and comfort as a bed that was my priority.
This just pulls forward to open up, I do use a good 'topper; on it and it is very comfortable.
You need to think of your space, I needed a bed that pulled forward, my daughter has one in her spare room that I use when I am there, that needs to open sideways. Hers is from Ikea and has space in it to store her bedding,.
Work out what you need, space you have, whether it is more important as a bed or a sofa and how much money you wish to spend.

fevertree Fri 07-Aug-20 22:26:15

Thank you Fran you make a good point about how it should open.

fevertree Fri 07-Aug-20 22:27:13

Thanks Ayse I was hoping to find an independent supplier.

J52 Fri 07-Aug-20 23:17:43

We have an Innovations sofa bed, have a look at their website. They are sold through John Lewis. Danish made and superbly comfortable as it is made like a mattress, with springs. and is a full size double when open. Easy to open.

When we have guests using it we make it up And don’t tell then it’s a sofa bed until we ask them how they have slept. No complaints so far.

fevertree Sat 08-Aug-20 07:15:33

Thanks! smile

Gransnet at its best.