Gransnet forums

House and home

Dishes for everyday

(102 Posts)
CanadianGran Sat 08-Aug-20 21:30:19

Have you changed out your everyday dishes?

I have a set of corelle that I have had since the children were small. Practical but ordinary. I have a hard time justifying replacing them since I still have enough for 12 settings, other than coffee/tea mugs. The darn things just won't break!

In the past I thought of replacing them with a nice set from Denby or Maxwell Williams, but after doing dishes at my daughter's place I find stoneware/pottery so heavy.

What does your everyday table setting look like, and does it bring joy to you?

midgey Sun 09-Aug-20 08:20:10

Kitty letter Denby is not indestructible, I broke an awful lot in one go as I tried to balance a bowl in the cupboard!

janeainsworth Sun 09-Aug-20 08:37:31

SueDonim But we’ve *always’ had the Denby! You’ll ruin our childhoods if you change it!’ ?

That made me laugh. There was outrage from DD2 when I had the temerity to replace the lounge curtains which we had had for 25 years grin

My dinner service which we bought in 1979 is Kaira by Arabia. It’s been used every single day, whatever the occasion. I’ve replaced broken items and made some additions through a China replacement website.

sodapop Sun 09-Aug-20 08:55:54

Plain white here as well, my husband says its the best way to present food. We have a factory shop near here which sells seconds of Limoges china so we are able to keep stocked up.

Franbern Sun 09-Aug-20 09:03:28

When I had lots of children (My own six, plus foster children) I only ever had crockery from charity shops (for everyday use and best - there was no different times). This meant that on the occasions when there was the inevitable accident and something got broken, I could be totally calm, and just ensure no-one was hurt and then clear away the broken bits.
No shouting, blaming or crying - it was just cheap crockery.
These days I do have a 'best' dinner service - white with gold rims. Rarely use it though, everyday is plain white, although I have been tempted to changing over the the white square shaped plates.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:13:27

Wedgewood for special occasions.

Portmerion and Bridgewater for every day.

BBbevan Sun 09-Aug-20 09:18:21

I’m another plain white person, and I do like Ikea. My best dinner service is white with silver rims, but that comes out only on high days and holidays.
I also have only white bedding and towels. Much easier to mix and match.

Nortsat Sun 09-Aug-20 09:59:36

My partner is very heavy handed with crockery and glassware.
When we were younger, we had white tableware from Ikea. It often got chipped and I can’t abide chipped crockery.

When we had a bit more disposable income we bought indestructible Denby. We have stuck to a colour palate of plain blues and plain creams, including ovenware and serving dishes, jugs etc, so that it coordinates. So if we have a large family gathering, people are unlikely to be served on identical plates and bowls, but everything will coordinate.

We use our Denby everyday and for special/family occasions. Our table always looks nice when it’s set, supplemented with nice table mats and coasters. I just add a vase of flowers, some candles and a silver (plate) wine cooler to enhance it, a bit for special meals.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Aug-20 10:08:29

Still charity shop crockery here.
I did have 2 complete matching sets up until my grandson moved in, but they weren't named ones.

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 10:21:44

Franbern DD has white square plates and I have a couple (Denby), very nice but quite heavy.

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 10:23:48

I would say that my mug collection is eclectic.

hmm

grannysue05 Sun 09-Aug-20 10:29:20

Plain white Arcopal dinner plates for everyday. Totally indestructable.
Used to have 'Denmark' blue and white china for normal use but have only a few pieces left.
My Wedding Present Best Set is Wedgewood Ice Rose. I have absolutely everything in this, but like so many of us, hardly used.
DH and I made a decision a few years back to use it for everyday. We put it in the dishwasher.
So far, not broken one single piece !!
You watch ... now that I have told you, I will break something. grin

grannysue05 Sun 09-Aug-20 10:30:41

Callistemon not more eclectic than mine!

Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 10:41:44

Ninarosa

An interesting thread, although I had hoped for easily put together meal suggestions as I find I have a two week wait for my new oven to arrive. Oh well

I too thought it would be a food thread Ninarosa. Why not start a thread asking for suggestions - lots of foodies on here!

patchworksue Sun 09-Aug-20 10:42:03

For years I had a best dinner set ( poppy) only used for dinner parties and special occasions .....I also collected portmerrion Botanic garden......for the last few years I use my portmerrion every day for all occasions.....I love it and get a lot of pleasure using it....I usually buy seconds and I have bought it off EBay....if a piece breaks I just replace it....it’s all mix and match and goes together beautifully..... dinner set long gone!

crazygranny Sun 09-Aug-20 10:49:54

What is corelle?

Davida1968 Sun 09-Aug-20 10:51:29

Using Denby (Imperial Blue) all the time here. It's white & blue - very simple. All purchased as "seconds" and we've had this for years. Dishwasher safe - really "easy". No best china here - we have no room to store it. (Do have some "best" cutlery, though.)

Juicylucy Sun 09-Aug-20 11:01:34

Plain white from John Lewis easily replaced and look lovely they have slight indented pattern.

Newatthis Sun 09-Aug-20 11:04:33

I had the most beautiful dinner and tea service - Noritake platinum edged - which was for 8 place setting with all the serving dishes and extra. I started to downsize and therefore started to get rid of things I didn't use often. This was only brought out at Christmas and as I thought we would be moving house I put the dinner service up for auction. Absolutely devastated when I got £35 for ALL of it.

Annaram1 Sun 09-Aug-20 11:05:54

I bought my son a huge dinner and coffee set with lidded dishes as well as various tea and coffee pots etc. for £30 in a local auction. It is Denby and yellow and grey in colour. They keep it for best and when they have company.
My own best is plain white and from Homebase. The every day stuff is a thick blue and brown set of stonewear dinner plates from China. Quite adequate for me.

Lilactime75 Sun 09-Aug-20 11:12:42

I also thought this was a request for easy meals. ?

Theoddbird Sun 09-Aug-20 11:13:50

Why replace when you have a complete set. That is a waste if recourse. You have something perfectly serviceable to use. Use it and love the memories it holds. .

Kim19 Sun 09-Aug-20 11:23:11

I have a full eight place dinner service of very beautiful Royal Doulton with all the extras. Collected devotedly month by salary month. Of course, like many of you, no longer used but stored in a cupboard. Cannot bring myself to part with it. Why? Ugh! Have heard, in auction, it would raise sweeties if even sold at all. My children certainly don't want it - they don't particularly like it (no taste!). Daily use now is a fun mish mash of inherited stuff and gifts from individuals. Nothing much matches but, y' know what, it doesn't matter a fig. Funny old life......

Marie14 Sun 09-Aug-20 11:25:38

I have white with a fluted edge from next for everyday use. I bought this when I moved house 1 year ago as my old set, although still useable, was looking a little tired. It may not be posh but it’s modern and everything matches. I’ve kept the old set for use at Christmas, birthdays, family gatherings etc. as why should your visitors get the benefit of your new crockery when you can enjoy them every day? ?

JMitch Sun 09-Aug-20 11:25:55

When we got married over 45 years ago we had a plain white kitchen set, with plain glasses, and royal doulton crockery/Royal Worcester glassware for best, which we spent ages choosing and hardly ever used. We downsized 20 years ago and decided we would now only eat and drink from the best we could possibly get, so ditched the kitchen stuff and only kept them best’. We still love our wedding present stuff. It’s not dishwasher proof and so it’s fading a bit, but I’m not fussed. It won’t be a family heirloom,it’s just us And we enjoy every single meal.

shysal Sun 09-Aug-20 11:28:44

We collected most items of Denby Greenwheat when I was married and used it every day. Obviously I had a clumsy family because every item broke over the years, often falling clean in half on impact.
These days I live alone and have plain white from John Lewis, but for cold food or lunch outside I use plastic BBQ plates from Asda!