Gransnet forums

House and home

Loving the dishwasher, but......

(27 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 19:21:35

Hello all, and thanks for the posts on previous threads! smile

Loving it so far, but 2 things that don't seem to come clean are the rack from the grill pan, and the oven racks, not the grill pan itself, or the oven trays, just the racks.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Purpledaffodil Sat 15-Aug-20 19:45:59

Weirdly I find the grill rack cleans perfectly. The oven racks I put in the dishwasher and then give them a going over with one of those stainless steel wire pads previously mentioned. The grot has been removed or softened by the dishwasher and they clean very easily. ?

Trisha57 Sat 15-Aug-20 19:45:53

Ooooh, Izabella. I'mone of those weird people who love cleaning the oven. I'll try your tip next time I do it. I use Oven Pride to do the main clean, but there are always little bits still stuck on the oven interior. Mine's mostly enamel - just the back is self-cleaning. Does it work on enamel?

Trisha57 Sat 15-Aug-20 19:41:21

I do the same as JoyBloggs - works every time!

carolmary Sat 15-Aug-20 19:37:38

I find those stainless steel scourers that look as if they have been knitted are brilliant for cleaning oven shelves and grill racks. Neaxt to no effort required!

Charleygirl5 Mon 10-Aug-20 13:39:41

As said previously- look out for bargains when buying dishwasher tablets. Even try Amazon but more likely to get a good deal at your local supermarket.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 13:07:11

shysal so far he's doing well! (Fingers crossed that it continues)

It's not only the not having to wash up by hand that I'm enjoying, it's also that there is no longer a pile of dishes next to the sink! The kitchen looks much tidier.

We have a kitchen dining room which we use all day (except for when Mr P is in the home office), don't go through to the sitting room until around 7pm, so it's lovely to sit at the table, attempting the crossword, having a look at GN etc, without that pile being visible!

Wish I'd done it years ago!

Izabella Mon 10-Aug-20 12:31:02

oven racks never need scrubbing if after a good clean you spray them with a solution of Soda Bicarb (2tsp:1pint) and leave to dry. Merely wipe over after use and reapply the solution. This applies to all the oven lining too.

shysal Mon 10-Aug-20 09:50:10

inhabitat.com/6-scrumptious-meals-you-can-cook-in-a-dishwasher-yes-you-read-that-right/

shysal Mon 10-Aug-20 09:47:34

Have you trained Mr P to put his dirty stuff in the dishwasher yet, and in the right place? My ex. never would. We agreed that he would be in charge of putting things away after a wash, but I used to find everything was still in there when I went to put something dirty in. Grr!
I gave up using it when we lived apart in the same house and left him to it. Now I have a house of my own, so hand washing up in the sink only takes a few moments, then I leave to drain. I used the gap in the kitchen which used to house a dishwasher for a tumble dryer, much more useful for me.

Teetime Mon 10-Aug-20 09:08:28

I do the oven trays in the dishwasher and then when I take them out scrub with nylon pad thingy and the baked on stuff comes off easily.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Aug-20 08:59:54

I put lots of stuff in the dishwasher - including (washable) children's toys and bathroom racks (such as toothbrush holders).

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 08:50:45

Mr P swears by Oven Pride!

Chewbacca Mon 10-Aug-20 08:38:44

I have also always been intrigued by these packs that people have talked about here on GN where you put the trays in a sealed, special-sized plastic bag, along with some cleaning solution, and leave them overnight

They are very good JackyB! Everything needed is in the box, including the protective gloves. The solution burns off all the gunk on the racks and then you just pull them out, seal up the bag and put it in the bin. Racks come out like new.

JackyB Mon 10-Aug-20 08:14:39

This is a brilliant idea. I've never thought to put the oven trays and racks in the dishwasher. I always thought it strange that the easy things such as plates, glasses and cutlery could go in the dishwasher but the very large things had to be wrestled with and scrubbed by hand, soaking me and the kitchen worktops, fronts and floor in the process.

And then trying to rinse them in the sink - which is smaller than a normal sink "because if you have a dishwasher you will hardly be using the sink".

I have also always been intrigued by these packs that people have talked about here on GN where you put the trays in a sealed, special-sized plastic bag, along with some cleaning solution, and leave them overnight.

I am off to see if (a) the oven trays even fit in the dishwasher and (b) if you can get those oven-cleaning kits here in Germany.

SpringyChicken Sun 09-Aug-20 21:34:12

I always put my racks in the dishwasher. When the cycle finishes, before they cool down, I give them a quick rub with a dry green scourer. I put the racks in , probably every other time the dishwasher goes on, whether they look dirty or not and that keeps them acceptably clean and tidy. I put them on the top deck, resting on the mugs.

JoyBloggs Sun 09-Aug-20 21:33:15

I put my grids/racks in the dishwasher and take them out soon after the end of the cycle while they're still pretty hot. I finish them off straightaway by hand and find that any stubborn residues come off fairly easily with a Brillo pad or metal scourer.

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 21:25:28

Thank you all for the responses, they are appreciated! And I will take the advice on board.

I just find it odd that the grill pan, with residue from steak, sausages, bacon etc will come out perfectly clean, but the grid/rack that the items rested on doesn't confused

Charleygirl so far dinner plates have come out sparkling, with no rinsing or soaking at all grin

In fact everything except the grids/racks does!

Perhaps I will try my old favourite method of a soak in hot water and soda crystals. Can I then put them in the dishwasher, or should I scrub them in the sink?

Thank you!

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Aug-20 21:02:06

phoenix over time you will learn what you have to soak for a while and that includes an ordinary dinner plate.

Pleased to hear you are enjoying using it. I love mine.

grannyqueenie Sun 09-Aug-20 20:49:38

Or biological washing powder also works well for soaking grill pans/ oven shelves etc!

kittylester Sun 09-Aug-20 20:19:16

Or use Vanish which dissolves better than a dishwasher tablet.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 20:15:28

Oven tins, grill pans and hard baked on stuff: leave them to soak in water with a dishwasher tablet for a few hours. When you next put them in the dishwasher, they come out sparkling!

annep1 Sun 09-Aug-20 20:04:26

I do mine by hand too. A dishwasher can't scrub.

downtoearth Sun 09-Aug-20 19:58:54

Have to scrub mine as well

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 19:57:27

Thank you tanith glad it's not just me!

Wonder why, though?

tanith Sun 09-Aug-20 19:41:40

Mine don’t come clean in the dishwasher I do them by hand after soaking.