Gransnet forums

House and home

Electricity Providers

(41 Posts)
phoenix Mon 28-Sep-20 16:20:39

Hello all,

My current provider is putting them prices up, so I'm in th process of shopping around for a new supplier.

EDF have an offer on, but I took against the chap I spoke to, had to tell him NOT to interrupt me, and when I was quoting figures from the online quote I had from them, he kept insisting they were wrong, even though I had the damn figures in screen in front of me! angry

If any of you could tell me who you are with, the kwh charge, and standing charge, I would really appreciate it!

I'm trying to avoid using a comparison site, as previous experience has shown that one then gets bombarded with calls!

We only have electricity, no gas, (too rural) and use oil for heating.

Thank you!

phoenix Tue 29-Sep-20 20:37:51

I think you're right, Greeneyedgirl!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 29-Sep-20 20:30:41

Because the energy companies make it difficult for a reason phoenix?

phoenix Tue 29-Sep-20 19:56:35

Hello again,

Had a look at the MSE sire, but I only seem to be able to find suggestions of the monthly amount, whereas what I need to do a comparison is the unit charge and daily standing charge rate. confusedsad

Why are these things always so damn difficult?

Chewbacca Tue 29-Sep-20 18:24:33

I’m sure Octopus are fine, but the way they dole out £50 incentives to customers bringing in more business puts me off

Don't knock it until you've tried it! When I moved house, I said that I wanted to stay with Bulb at my new address. Bulb recognised that as a "recommendation" and they added £50 to my account, just for recommending myself to them. Then they added another £50 to my new account as a "welcome to Bulb" thank you. When my OH moved from British Gas to Bulb, he got £50 added to his account and so did I because I'd recommended them. £150 credit on your energy account is worth having!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 29-Sep-20 18:17:50

Bulb

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Sep-20 17:17:23

I forgot to add that Shell's electricity is 100% renewable.

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Sep-20 16:53:39

I do look at the comparison sites whenever our deals come to an end, to check the rates and standing charges - it only takes minutes and I’ve never had a single call following that, thank goodness. Four of the big six energy companies I would never even consider because of my horrendous experience with them when at work. We’re with Shell for energy at the moment, and Plusnet for wifi. They’ve competitive rates, straightforward websites and good customer service. We renewed with both this year as they each offered us a better deal without us having to contact them. I’m sure Octopus are fine, but the way they dole out £50 incentives to customers bringing in more business puts me off and must skew their ratings.

M0nica Tue 29-Sep-20 16:15:46

Esspee If all the reductions in price I was told I would see year on year when I used comparison sites regularly had actually happened, the energy suppliers would now be paying me to use their fuel, not me paying them.

Each year I was told I could reduce my bills by £2-300. Of course, I never did. So I decided to investgate what was being compared with what to produce these figures.

What I discovered was that the comparison is based on the assumption that the customer's current special tarriff has run out and that they are now on the higher 'standard variable rate', which for most people is not correct because most of us have the sense to sort out our new tarriff before the old one expires and that even if we do end up on the SVR for a few days or a week or two, we have not been on it for the year, so it doesn't represent what we are currently paying.

After realising this and that all the hassle of changing suppliers never ended in me paying any less for my power, I settled for one supplier and just make sure that as one years tarriff contract finishes I sign up for the new current lowest tarriff. No wasted days spent slaving over a hot computer. A couple of clicks and it is sorted. I have spoken to people since who understand the figures more than I do and mostly they do the same as I do.

In France, if we go on line we can get a table of suppliers with all their rates compare on a standardised basis, so it is crystal clear exactly what each one is charging for standing charges and per unit. Mind you the French do that for so many things it makes life so much easier.

Esspee Tue 29-Sep-20 14:13:44

M0nica. Your belief that “the variation in price is very little” is not my experience. Try MSE out of interest and see what other companies are offering. I know that paying by direct debit monthly is usually a great money saver.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 29-Sep-20 14:13:33

The cheapest aren’t always the best. I value customer service and look for the greenest option.

Esspee Tue 29-Sep-20 14:05:41

I use Money Saving Expert’s service and have done for years. I have never received any calls.

Currently I’m with Tonik but have no loyalty. As soon as MSE suggest a better deal I will switch.
I pay way less than my neighbours yet my house is warmer. I have never bothered to ask about their level of consumption.

Tonik email me asking for meter readings. Bill is sent by return email just for information only. I pay by direct debit based on last year’s consumption and if payments get way out of kilter with actual bills I get a refund or my direct debit is increased. Their website gives detailed information of my bills and is easy to use.

I highly recommend both MSE and Tonik.

FlexibleFriend Tue 29-Sep-20 13:17:26

I've just changed to Octopus and really like the way they tell you whether you are currently using more or less of your projected usage. I send them my meter reading each month and they say whether or not I should consider raising my monthly payment or not. No sudden doubling of the monthly payment, I set the amount and can even make a one off payment if it looks as though it's getting too far away from me. So far so good.

phoenix Mon 28-Sep-20 22:47:50

Oh heavens, please don't let be seen as misandry!confused

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 22:24:26

I’m with Octopus. Green tariff so 100% renewables. My payments have gone down each of the two years I’ve been with them. I don’t know if it’s the cheapest, but certainly one of them.

Good customer service. Easy to read and understand online bills.

phoenix Mon 28-Sep-20 22:24:10

Thank you all for taking the time to post, I do appreciate it.

Kate1949, I have to deal with energy suppliers, motor insurance and buildings & contents etc, Mr P never has to worry his pretty little head about such things! (Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Grandad1943!)

M0nica a lot of suppliers will give you a discount for paying monthly. Personally I have put as many things as possible (car tax, insurance, council tax, water etc) on monthly payments as I find it easier to plan the finances that way.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Sep-20 22:10:50

I'm with Bulb but I'm now thinking of switching to Scottish Power. If you are all electric (or use a lot) it can be an advantage to choose a higher daily standing charge with a lower unit price. The opposite applies if you use very little.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sep-20 21:41:29

We are with Shell, no problems and reasonable, easily contactable.

Lyndylou Mon 28-Sep-20 21:32:21

Thanks Phoenix, that is one we are considering. I have asked BT to reduce my bill when my present contract ended but they refused. Now I am talking to them about leaving, suddenly they reduced the monthly payment by half, but only if I accept it that same day. Well, they can go the way of Scottish Power!!

M0nica Mon 28-Sep-20 17:53:08

Because I prefer to pay bills quarterly, not monthly, something comparison sites ask and then ignore, I have had so many problems when trying to get quotes based on paying quarterly I am signed up with EDF and each year change to the lowest offer they have.

It means we never go on the variable rate and, at the end of the day, no matter what the different companies offer, the variation in price is very little. All the comparisons are based on the assumption that your alternative is the much more expensive variable rate, which of course it isn't.

The only thing that would make me change would be change in the bells and whistles attached to the supplier's offer; their green credentials, social responsibility actions etcetc.

Kate1949 Mon 28-Sep-20 17:49:49

I would add that our daughter's in laws also had trouble with EDF

Kate1949 Mon 28-Sep-20 17:47:43

I have no advice to offer. DH deals with this and is constantly chopping and changing. I do know, however, that we are now with EDF and DH said 'never again' but we are now locked in with them for two years.
He couldn't get a bill out of them. They asked him for a meter reading which he provided. They implied that it was a false reading as it was 'too low'. They ask for a photograph of the reading (about 4 times!) which he provided. They then wanted photos of the 'label' on the meter. The stress it put him under was unbelievable. It was as though they thought he was lying. It was sorted eventually and they knocked some money off the bill but it was very stressful.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 17:32:27

OVOEnergy were voted energy suppliers of the year last year and seem to have a loyal and satisfied customer base. They also have green credentials, like Bulb.

phoenix Mon 28-Sep-20 17:23:24

Ah,Lyndylou we are with Plusnet, and happy with them!

Lyndylou Mon 28-Sep-20 17:20:26

I went to Octopus last year because they were recommended by Which and I have been very happy. At least I don't get automatic increases in my monthly direct debit every 3 months, even though I was £200 in credit each month after the bill had been paid, the way that Scottish Power did. Then when I tried to get some money refunded they told me only if I increased the DD by even more. Well, they don't get anything now and I am paying £30 a month less to Octopus and I'm still well in credit.

Now I'm trying to find a decent broadband supplier!

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 17:12:11

Have a look at OVOEnergy.com Phoenix, or Octopus.