Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice on bed bases please

(21 Posts)
Greendress Mon 19-Oct-20 13:31:40

I am just about to purchase a new bedbase and mattress and I'm considering a bedbase with drawers to replace the divan I have currently. Does anyone have advice on the pros and cons of either. I like my divan base but really could do with extra storage the drawer base would provide. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Lucca Mon 19-Oct-20 13:35:45

I always think the bases with drawers just encourage keeping too much stuff !

Illte Mon 19-Oct-20 13:38:40

Bed bases with drawers are harder than sprung bed bases. You can notice the difference.

I wouldn't be without my drawers (?) but I very thankful for my lovely thick, squashy memory foam mattress.

Esspee Mon 19-Oct-20 13:45:36

Beds are such a waste of space. I love being able to store my bedding in the drawers underneath. Duvets and pillows especially, electric blankets, even curtains, leaving much more space in my linen cupboard for sheets and towels.

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Oct-20 13:48:01

I agree with Illte- I could not do without the drawers on my bed because whoever designed my house did not include a cupboard except for the kitchen.

There are beds where the base is lifted and that would be good for storing eg duvet covers and sheets. 2 of my drawers house eg night attire and tops, the other two knickers etc. They are a lot smaller.

Smileless2012 Mon 19-Oct-20 13:51:59

As Illte has posted a bed base with drawers will be much firmer than a sprung base, so if a sprung base it what you're used too think carefully before buying a platform top.

Do be careful not to overload your drawers.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 19-Oct-20 14:08:11

We've always had beds with drawers and when we've had a small bedroom (in most of the places we've lived in) they have been a great help. I always feel that a bed without drawers underneath is wasting a lot of space. Our old bed is now (with a new mattress) in the spare room and it stores pillows and blankets.

SueDonim Mon 19-Oct-20 14:13:27

I have a new bedbase with drawers (I keep the bed linen in them) and mattress from a company called Harrison & Spinks. We’re really pleased with our purchase. It was to replace a memory foam mattress but this traditional mattress is just as comfortable.

Nandalot Mon 19-Oct-20 14:28:53

Just ordered a new bed base and mattress today. (Now have headache that usually occurs when I spend!] It has a hard top
and two drawers at each side of bottom of the divan. Previously had a four drawer bed base ( incidentally with a sprung top so some obviously come with springs), however, I found the drawers near the bed head difficult as I could not fully open them without moving the bedside tables.
Storage drawers every time.

FlexibleFriend Mon 19-Oct-20 15:19:41

You can still have a sprung base with drawers so there doesn't need to be a difference. I've been thinking of getting an ottoman bed so that the quilt etc can be stored away easily in the summer when it's not needed etc.

Septimia Mon 19-Oct-20 15:20:49

What about an ottoman bed? The base isn't as hard as one with drawers and you get more storage space.

You just have to be strong enough to lift it up!

Illte Mon 19-Oct-20 15:21:04

Oh Nandalot, I have got two big drawers and then two smaller ones so they open without hitting the bedside cabinet. I agree, four big ones would be a pain!

V3ra Mon 19-Oct-20 15:30:20

All ours are ottoman beds. The whole of the base area is available for storage. I find them easier to use than a drawer divan.

SueDonim Mon 19-Oct-20 15:31:50

Septimia I looked at one of those ottoman beds. I tried opening the base but didn’t realise it had assisted-opening. I almost launched myself into space when the base flew up and catapulted me into the air - my feet were literally lifted off the ground! ??

Illte Mon 19-Oct-20 15:33:07

I've got one of those too but I'm beginning to find it a bit hard to lift up. ?

ExD Mon 19-Oct-20 15:40:44

I store bedding and out of season clothes in plastic boxes which slide under the base, they are hidden from view by a valance. You can buy these 'under bed storage boxes' in many stores or online. Just make sure you measure the space available between the bed and the floor.

Toadinthehole Mon 19-Oct-20 15:40:46

We’ve literally just bought another bed! From ‘ Dreams’. It’s our third super king. We’ve gone for drawers, as did with the first one. Have got a problem with one of the drawers. It doesn’t fit properly, very hard to push in. My husband knows what to do, but we’ve flagged it up with the shop first. Seem to remember the first bed having issues with the drawers, but soon rectified. The mattress is ‘ Sleepeezie’, not sure of the spelling. The bases are ‘Silent Night’. Drawers do make it heavier, so no chance of pushing it round the room to vacuum now! Also got a headboard for the first time, so extra heavy. Don’t bother with four drawers unless you’ve nothing next to you. I had to keep moving our bedside tables with the first one. If you go into ‘ Dreams’, they ( very safely ), lay you on a bed which works out which is best for you. Very scientific. Had our first night in it last night....it was wonderful ?. Take your time, we spend a lot of time in bed!

Greendress Mon 19-Oct-20 15:47:33

Thank you for all these really helpful replies - think I'm definitely going for drawers now and will consider all the various options.

Septimia Mon 19-Oct-20 16:30:22

SueDonim , I have to be careful every time! But the storage space is really useful.

craftyone Mon 19-Oct-20 18:39:57

I have very good storage under my bed, not drawers. Hypnos hideaway

ExD Tue 20-Oct-20 10:33:10

smile OK - what's a hypnos hideaway?