Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing Machines

(40 Posts)
Cambia Tue 20-Oct-20 11:51:58

Help! Need a new washing machine and am so confused. Mine was quite old and there are so many new features on the new ones! My last now was Bosch but I hear that Samsung are very good too.
Not too worried about the price so long as it does a good job and lasts.
Any recommendations please? there are so many models I am just getting totally confused.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:28:23

I bought the cheapest I could find in a reputable DIY store, not being willing to pay for a new Siemens. It works well, four years later.

Choose one that weighs the clothes and adjusts the amount of water to suit. This means you don't have to fill the machine up to wash economically.

Mine has this feature, and a very short cycle programme that can be adjusted from cold to 90 degrees centigrade, as well as the normal cycles, which I literally never use.

Being able to adjust the force it spins clothes at is a helpful feature as well.

Chameleon007 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:30:54

Just had to purchase a new washer following the breakdown of my over 20year old Bosch washer which had hot and cold fill. The only breakdown was a set of brushes which my husband fitted. I sought another hot and cold fill as we have constant hot water. The only one I could find was Ebac. It has 9kg drum and runs really quiet. Also has a My Wash which is really easy to set and easily set spin speed, time saver and temperature choice. Washed a large throw in it yesterday. Really pleased with the result. Wasn't the cheapest washer but has 7year parts and labour warranty included. Probably the last washer I will buy so I justified the cost.

Grammaretto Thu 22-Oct-20 19:38:05

well done Cambia!
I hope it is a good one.
Our most recent machine, a Bosch, was off gumtree (new unwanted gift) no guarantee but it has been great. I think we've had it c5 years and it's had quite heavy wear. We host young volunteers so it's been on most days. I mostly stick to the quick wash at 30degrees.

I asked why they were selling. It was the wrong colour! It's white.
I do believe Gransnet is more reliable than Which.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 19:04:02

Samsung gets a good write up from Which too.

Cambia Thu 22-Oct-20 18:54:29

Gone for a Samsung with a few bells and whistles! Coming tomorrow from AO. Probably going to take a week to learn to use it. Quite excited now but then it doesn’t take much!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice x

MiniMoon Thu 22-Oct-20 11:15:22

I wanted a washing machine with as few programmes as I could find. In my opinion, the less programmes it has the less there is to go wrong!
I have a compact Indesit machine, since there are only two of us now. There is plenty of room in the drum for a full bed change. I dont have a lot of room in my downstairs loo/utility room.

Rosalyn69 Thu 22-Oct-20 11:00:13

Miele. Expensive but are fantastic and hard workers

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:36:20

Another vote for John Lewis's own. Had mine about 12 years with no problems!
Think it was made by AEG?

henetha Thu 22-Oct-20 10:33:20

I had a new washing machine yesterday, a Hotpoint. My last one was too and I like them. Obviously if I was better off I'd have a fancy expensive one, but I'm not.

Stansgran Thu 22-Oct-20 10:28:11

I’ve had a Miele for over 10 years and never had any one out for it. Never had it serviced either which I suppose I should have done. I think they still do one with a ten year guarantee.

Franbern Thu 22-Oct-20 09:09:21

Noise is important if your washing machine is tobe located in hour kitchen. If you have a separate utility room in which it will go, not so important. Most machines do have some sort of speedy wash (my Hoover - purchased through Ao), does normal daily wash at 59 minutes, but does have facilities for doing quick ones at 15 or 30 or 44 minutes. Very large drum, so can take duvet - and 1600rpm spin. I can alter the water temperature and spin speed on most programmes.

Whiff Wed 21-Oct-20 17:01:06

Another vote for John Lewis own brand washing machine. Love the 14 minute wash cycle. Ideal for tights or the odd thing you need. Because I now live in a soft water area I use a fraction of the Persil liquid I used to.

phoenix Wed 21-Oct-20 14:27:57

Another reason I like AO is they price match and offer free delivery in most cases.

JenniferEccles Wed 21-Oct-20 14:21:18

I would say whichever make you decide on, make sure it has a button to reduce the time duration.

I would imagine they all have this function ( mine is called Speed Perfect on my Bosch) but maybe not.
Without this the length of time to do a wash is ridiculous!

I would also look for a quiet one.
Mine is called Eco Silence Drive and it is very quiet!

Auntieflo Tue 20-Oct-20 16:51:46

We have a Miele, 10 years old now, and never let us down, yet.

SpringyChicken Tue 20-Oct-20 16:40:25

Our local library stocks Which? magazines which can be viewed for free. Maybe yours does too.

Our Bosch is excellent. 8kg capacity, variable spin speeds and temperatures, 15 and 30 minute programmes and the door can be opened immediately to pop in that dropped sock. Very quiet, large porthole. Currently selling around £449.

beverly10 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:36:58

Mine is a Samsung and notice this is the choice of several here on GN. Never yet let me down.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Oct-20 16:21:24

My only advice, same as Synchroswimmer is a larger drum, for a larger load, good for towels/bedding.

JessK Tue 20-Oct-20 16:19:17

I have a Bosch and recommend it highly. I have had it for years and it's still going strong. Has a nice big drum for sheets and towels.

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 15:54:02

Cambia the trick to using AO (or to do any comparisons) is to make a list of the features that are important to you, even breaking it down into "must haves" and "nice to have".

I did this recently when choosing a dishwasher, must have a half load option, and a quick wash programme. Wasn't fussed about delay start (although it does have that).

I then went on to AO, narrowed it down to 2 models, then checked water and electricity consumption, then made my choice.

The reviews on there are helpful too!

Bridie22 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:47:06

Another vote for samsung, easy to use ,

Calendargirl Tue 20-Oct-20 15:42:37

Yes Franbern, a good, simple, basic machine, selling for a competitive price, would be very popular I’m sure.

Who really wants all these different programmes, spin speeds, temperatures?

Not me.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 20-Oct-20 14:39:09

Very chuffed with my Samsung, chose a large capacity and high spin speed option.

It’s a pity that all machines these days are cold-fill (rather thank using the already heated water in my water tank)

Cambia Tue 20-Oct-20 14:31:13

thanks everyone, will look at AO and get some comparisons. There really is just too much choice!

Oldbat1 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:07:34

Ours is a John Lewis own. It is 10yrs old and as yet never broken down. Only use 3programmes. We’ve used AO for other white goods and they have been excellent company to deal with.