Gransnet forums

House and home

Light bulb in oven keeps blowing.

(9 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 05-Nov-20 14:14:48

This is a really long shot. We had a Neff double oven installed about 5 years ago. I love it but recently the bulb in the main oven keeps blowing. Several times in couple of months. It's very fiddly and difficult to change. DH changed it last week and it's just gone again. Has anyone else had this problem? We only have two bulbs left. Calling a Neff engineer would probably be almost as expensive as a new cooker. Would an electrician be able to solve the problem? Can it be solved??? DH and I are not in the least bit practical when it comes to things like this and I always have a fear of being ripped off.
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

B9exchange Thu 05-Nov-20 14:18:03

I would check your source of bulbs, we had this problem with our Neff oven. Even more so with the matching microwave. I started buying from a different source, not Neff's own, and we have had the current one in for a couple of years?

Curlywhirly Thu 05-Nov-20 14:54:54

Well funny you should say that Rosiebee; we have 2 Neff Slide and Hide ovens, one I use mostly as an oven and the other one mostly for grilling. The one used for grilling has caused us problems - the glass cover over the bulb keeps shattering. The first time it happened was when the oven was still under warranty and a Neff engineer installed a new one; I asked him why the cover shattered and he suggested we should always close the oven door when grilling (something to do with the temperature thermostat). Despite this, the glass cover shattered a few months later. I have replaced the cover 4 times now in the space of 4 years.
I found a thread on the Moneysavingexpert forum discussing this very problem, lots of people have had the same thing happen and have contacted Neff. Neff are saying that it is not a design fault! I emailed Neff myself (to order yet another glass shade) and asked them why they are not doing something about this dangerous fault (slivers of glass all over your food) and they said they knew nothing about it! I replied I found that hard to believe seeing as numerous people had the same problem and had contacted them regarding this matter. Their reply was to send me another glass shade free of charge. I really feel they should be addressing the problem, it is dangerous and needs their attention.

Grannynise Thu 05-Nov-20 17:47:18

The bulb in my Neff oven lasts about 3 months. I have no idea why,

fiorentina51 Thu 05-Nov-20 18:30:29

Curlywhirly. Your post sounds so familiar. We had a Neff slide and hide single oven, bought in 2017. All good for the first 12 months then the light cover exploded whilst the oven was in use, shattered glass all over the chicken I was roasting.
About 12 months later whilst cleaning the oven, I noticed a large crack in the light cover so we replaced it.
The light bulb was fine.

Curlywhirly Thu 05-Nov-20 20:00:48

fiorentina51 ah, so you're another victim! It must definitely be a design fault, but how does any one get Neff to admit it and do something to correct it? I certainly wouldn't buy another Neff oven, that's for sure.

SpringyChicken Thu 05-Nov-20 21:26:06

The bulb in the main oven of our Neff lasts about a year. The bulb in the top oven is the original one, about six years old.

Rosiebee Sun 08-Nov-20 09:44:54

Thanks for replies. Will try changing our source of bulbs. The original one lasted several years but was a b****r to get out. Had to buy from Neff a gadget to unscrew light cover. You would think one would have been provided with the oven. They cost enough to start with.

SpringyChicken Sun 08-Nov-20 10:17:45

Sometimes I wear a rubber glove to remove the glass cover if it's being awkward. At first, I had trouble working out which way to twist it! Now I try not to tighten it to the maximum.