Gransnet forums

House and home

Replacing tiles with sheet laminate

(11 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 06-Nov-20 15:30:57

Has anyone had their bathroom tiles, covered with laminate. This has been suggested when I have bathroom replaced. Thank you.

HAZBEEN Fri 06-Nov-20 15:46:15

My parents did this when they had the bath removed and a walk in shower put in for my mother. The laminate was great from the cleaning point of view, no grout joins, but when there was a problem with the pipework for the shower the plumber damaged a sheet removing it from the battens. This meant the expense of a whole new sheet instead of just a couple of tiles.

Mwdebbie Fri 06-Nov-20 16:21:05

Yes we’ve recently had the tiles covered with sheet laminate for a walk in shower and are delighted with the smooth, clean lines and no grouting. Hiccup when both the bathroom showroom salesman and our fitter failed to notice that the large sheets were too big to be manoeuvred around the turn in the stairs! We had to re-order two smaller sheets so watch out for access issues. Other than this fitting issue, we are so pleased

Chewbacca Fri 06-Nov-20 18:41:27

A friend opted for the laminate sheets when she had her bathroom redone about 2 years ago. Hers is a very old house with uneven walls and the fitter struggled to get them to fit and join exactly. Water must have got into some of the joints because a couple of the panels have swollen at the bottom. Having a tight, seamless fit is key.

MiniMoon Fri 06-Nov-20 19:41:50

We are planning on having our bathroom upgraded next year. The shower is leaking, and unfortunately we cannot discover where from. We have removed the old sealant and replaced it, but its still leaking into the ceiling of the room below.
I want to cover over all the tiles with laminate sheets as they are a horrible yellow, already in the house when we bought it nearly 20 years ago.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 19:50:19

Removed tiles and replaced with the panelling stuff last November, very happy so far.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 19:52:02

Mind you, there's panelling, and panelling!

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Nov-20 19:54:31

We did this in our old house and never regretted it so I highly recommend it as an alternative to tiles.

GrannySomerset Sat 07-Nov-20 10:01:19

We used laminate when we redid our bathroom five years ago and our walk in shower has laminate. Effortless to clean but you do need a fastidious fitter to make sure the panels are watertight. Delighted with the choice.

boodymum67 Sun 15-Nov-20 13:23:02

I had a spare bedroom turned into a wet room, to accommodate me in my wheelchair and a carer.

A plumber did the work. We went for wall boards as a more modern alternative to tiles.

They look gorgeous, with a black background and bits of sparkly blues, greens and red. When the light is on them, you see different shades...very pleasing.

timetogo2016 Sun 15-Nov-20 13:41:32

I did sparkling and never regretted it.
No more grouting and it made the bathroom warmer.
Also there is a good range of patterns/colours.