Gransnet forums

House and home

Upright freeer

(12 Posts)
Crazyquilter123 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:21:58

Has anyone bought an upright freezer over the last year?
What did you buy? Are you happy with it? Mine must be at least 15 years old and keeps icing up so it's got to go!

Puzzler61 Wed 11-Nov-20 15:55:10

Yes Crazyquilter . We bought the largest size white BEKO half fridge, half freezer and have no complaints. It stands in the garage. Fridge has a useful beeping alarm if you leave the door open even if only fractionally (the old one didn’t have that feature).

Puzzler61 Wed 11-Nov-20 15:57:37

191 x 59 cm high
About £380

Franbern Thu 12-Nov-20 09:14:25

I have had large upright larder freezers for many years up until I moved into my flat. Last one purchased only ten months before I actually moved, and had to then sell that on, as no room in my new kitchen.

Make a note of the space you have so you no the maximum width freezer you can have there, check if you will need to have door opening side changed (most companies charge extra for this).

Main things to look for (IMO) -

1. Must be self-defrosting
2. Drawers (not flaps). Some drawer fronts are incredibly fragile - and do break easily - this needs to be checked out.
3. Signal, either light or buzzer (preferably both) if door not closed properly
4, Do you want one large larder freezer? - you can get some that divide into two separate areas now.
5. Check actual capacity - some look large but have less capacity than others that look smaller.

Start with looking into Ao website, where very good, detailed information on many freezers can be found.
Note the ones you think are appropriate for you. Then go (when they re-open) to any large retail shop and have a look at them 'in the flesh' so as to speak.
Once you know the make and model number of the machine you feel is right for you - start a good web search for best buy, taking note of delivery charges, etc.

Freezers are one of the few 'whites' I think it is worthwhile having extended warranty for.

Personally, I do not think it is a matter with these that you get what you pay for. Prices range incredibly
Best to go for middle of price range and do your comparisons very carefully to see what you are getting.

FlexibleFriend Thu 12-Nov-20 12:21:55

I have a Samsung upright freezer bought just over a year ago, it's by far the best Freezer I have ever had. It holds a lot, the drawers are sturdy and the top part is just shelves which work very well for us. I bought it primarily to match the fridge freezer it stands next to in the utility room. It cost about £550 and I honestly wouldn't change it for anything. It came from AO.

Chardy Thu 12-Nov-20 14:47:43

Got a Beko on advice. Excellent advice

25Avalon Thu 12-Nov-20 14:53:03

Year ago I bought a Beko upright 50/50 self defrosting fridge freezer.
Had my doubts because was so much cheaper and Which didn’t give it a good write up for freezing items. The 2 recommended were o/s so went for the Beko. Turned out to be an excellent choice.

Casdon Thu 12-Nov-20 15:01:57

I’ve got a new tall upright freezer, I’ve had it a couple of months, and I’m extremely pleased with it so far. It’s frost free, quiet, has an alarm, and huge capacity compared with my old under-counter freezer. It’s by Grundig, who I’d always associated with sound systems. From Curry’s - it also came with a free 5 years manufacturers warranty, which I thought was excellent.

Cs783 Thu 12-Nov-20 15:03:05

Recently bought a Beko self defrosting upright freezer £300 for our kitchen diner. Neat and quiet enough; a Which? Best Buy. I’ve had Beko self defrosting fridge freezer before which worked and lasted well (it didn’t fail in 10 yrs; left behind as part of our house sale).

Elusivebutterfly Thu 12-Nov-20 15:38:12

I have a Curry's own brand under counter freezer and am happy with it. It was one of the cheapest.
I would never buy a Beko again as I had a Beko fridge that died after just three years and then another one which died at just over the one year guarantee. One can be bad luck but two means they are not very good.

spottysocks Thu 12-Nov-20 15:39:58

I bought a Beko upright 50/50 frost free Fridge/Freezer eleven months ago. I paid about £330 and it's been great. Plenty of room for the two of us. We used to have a chest freezer but due to lack of storage space when we moved house we had to have something smaller. smile

maytime2 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:22:01

I think it's luck that a fridge freezer lasts for a long time. The 1st frost free one that I bought lasted about 15 years, the second was still going strong when I got rid of it after 20 odd years. Neither had ever broken down. Both bought in Bejam, latterly known as Iceland. I know one was a Candy and I think the other was a Hoover.

Because the fridge freezer was so old, I thought it could break down any day so decided to buy a new one. By this time the only place that I could actually see any fridge freezers was Currys, a shop that I am not that keen on. When I went to the shop they had many Becko models on display, but I would not buy a Turkish product because I do not agree with the speeches that their President utters, and it is my own little way of trying to reject what he says.
Anyway I bought a fridge freezer made by Hotpoint which suited me in all ways, but I think the laugh is on me. It is only 3 years old but the bottom of the freezer keeps icing up and I have to use a plastic spatula to get rid of the ice. I'm going to have to get an engineer to take a look at it. Luckily the chap that repairs washing machines also repairs freezers so I will not have to pay a huge call out fee that Hotpoint would charge. Also he would come the following day, or even sooner if it was a freezer.
So perhaps reading how some of you are very pleased with your Becko, perhaps I should have gone with them after all.