Gransnet forums

House and home

A cautionary tale!

(12 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Thu 19-Nov-20 11:31:19

Yesterday, looking at some past-its-best fruit, I decided to break out my late mum's old Kenwood juicer to avoid wasting the grapes. (She died a few years ago, by the way.) Having taken it apart for a thorough cleaning (it really needed it!) I juiced the grapes and a couple of apples. The juicer worked well but what a job cleaning it out again! ? So, knowing I'd be unlikely to use it again, I decided to offer it on a free site. Then I thought back to my mum's old Kenwood Chef that I also inherited. Using it for the first time, a couple of years ago, I'd had to run outside with it, in a hurry, with smoke pouring out of the motor! So the juicer is now bound for the tip to join its compatriot.

vampirequeen Thu 19-Nov-20 12:49:55

Oh dear grin. Juicers are a nightmare.

lizzypopbottle Thu 19-Nov-20 12:56:50

vq ?

M0nica Fri 20-Nov-20 09:20:49

I bought a secondhand juicer to see how home juicing worked.

No problems with the juicer, but what a palaver using it and cleaning everything up after use. I decided life was too short for home juicing and as all tired or surplus fruit and veg go on the compost heap and are then returned to the soil to grow more vegetables, we get the benefit that way.

I also found the machine very large and that it took up too much space both on the worktop and in the cupboard.

ExD Fri 20-Nov-20 09:24:00

Mine is sitting in the attic, I suppose a charity shop might make a few bob out of it ............ ?

FlexibleFriend Fri 20-Nov-20 09:54:45

Newer ones are a doddle to clean, mine goes in the dishwasher.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 10:48:19

Mine's in the top of the cupboard, unloved.
I did say that I should have got it out the other day when I was juicing lemons and limes for curd.
But I didn't think of it until afterwards.

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 15:09:01

This one is very old and I can't forget what happened to the ancient food processor. I'm not sure charity shops will take electrical goods without a pat test (portable appliance test). You can see by the colour how old it must be:

Franbern Sat 21-Nov-20 16:13:21

I bought a very expensive juicer many years ago, and could not get on with the whole palaver of taking it apart to wash it all. Gave it to one of mu daughters who used it for two or three years and then gave up. Went on then to another family member. As far as I know is still doing the rounds. I also bought one of those juicer drink makers which I used for one summer, but never got out again. Passed that on to another daughter who still uses it happilhy,.

My old original 1960's Kenwood is still in use at another
daughter's home. Needed a replacement bowl as one of her kids dropped and broke the original, but otherwise still gets used by her large family regularly.

Do have in my cupboard a large Halogen oven, no problems with it, just not required now, and it does take up a lot of room. I used to like this, but found that, although. the bowl cleans easily, the top part in which the heater is based is impossible to keep clean.

When I think of how many quite expensive kitchen gadgets I have tried over the years I could wince.

lizzypopbottle Sun 22-Nov-20 15:08:39

My mother loved kitchen gadgets but she wasn't really interested in cooking so they didn't get much use! When I got her Kenwood Chef and juicer, I threw my old, but serviceable ones out. When the food processor went on fire, I had to dash outside with it and then buy a new one! Damn! I wouldn't bother with another juicer though. ?

Bluebellwould Sun 22-Nov-20 15:22:21

My husband bought a very expensive cold press juicer when his cancer got to the point of no remission. He pressed carrots, apples, celery, oranges anything we could think of frankly. It worked wonders and he got a new lease of life for about 8 weeks. He had energy and felt better than he had for the 6 years previously with stage 4 colon cancer. The effects didn’t last much longer than that unfortunately but I am so grateful for those two months. Just my little thoughts on a juicer really.

lizzypopbottle Mon 23-Nov-20 13:38:58

There are different kinds of juicer, Bluebellwould and some are better than others. I'm glad your husband found benefit from using one. ?