Gransnet forums

House and home

HELP! Woodlice Invasion

(13 Posts)
Sparklefizz Thu 19-Nov-20 11:37:08

I live in a 1970s house, fully insulated, nowhere is damp, yet I have got loads of woodlice this year, even on the bedroom carpet.

There have sometimes been one or two in the kitchen in past years, but now I find them on the stairs trudging up to the bedrooms.

Why? What can I do?

Baggs Thu 19-Nov-20 11:39:51

Pick them up and chuck them outside.

Oh, and be glad they're not slugs ?

Whiff Thu 19-Nov-20 11:49:32

I put a line of salt along the inside of all doors about 1" wide. If any do get in I kill them and into the bin.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Nov-20 11:51:11

I've lived here 26 years so why now and where from ?

Blossoming Thu 19-Nov-20 11:56:56

It does sound like there’s a problem with damp somewhere. It’s worth checking your guttering, perhaps it’s blocked with leaves?

EllanVannin Thu 19-Nov-20 12:09:36

It's years since I saw wood lice. I used to call them Armadillos grin There were always plenty in the older house we lived in and I used to joke with my late H and say they were coming from his head.
They'll be coming in from outside I imagine.

biba70 Thu 19-Nov-20 12:14:34

Agree with Blossoming, the problem is not the woodlice- but the why. There must be a damp problem and rotten wood somewhere.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Nov-20 12:15:00

Diatomaceous earth is the thing for this, I think.
It still needs to be used with caution if you've pets, I think.

pestcontrolproductsonline.co.uk/collections/woodlice-pest-control/products/diatomaceous-earth-non-toxic-woodlice-killing-dust

Alexa Thu 19-Nov-20 12:17:55

They call them 'slaters' in Scotland. I know a funny story about that.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Nov-20 12:37:55

Thanks for all your helpful posts.

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 12:47:26

My little b....S come from the garage which shares a wall with the dining room.
They emerge from under the skirting board.
If I can get to them before the cat sees them and eats them alive I just throw them outside.
Perhaps I-will try marking them with a dot of vail polish to see if they find their way back.

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Nov-20 13:04:07

I had them in my porch one year and discovered when the replacement door had been put in they hadn't fully sealed the gaps under the frame with sealant. After I sealed the gaps almost standing on my head I've never seen one inside since. They like the damp and decaying wood which fits with the door frame I had replaced it was rotten, so they were homeless when it was removed.

paddyanne Thu 19-Nov-20 13:10:56

I've had a couple of massive slugs in my kitchen recently ,I used my mothers old remedies Fresh rosemary sprinled anywhere they might come in and broken eggshells around all the drains and vents .Seems to have worked ,dont know if it wuld for slaters but might be worth a try