Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint colour advice please.

(34 Posts)
shysal Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:02

My front door needs painting. Currently it is dark teal, which I like but want a change. I fancy a dark grey, but would it go with the brass fittings, which I don't really want to replace? Any other colour suggestions would be welcome. The colour palate of flowers in the tiny garden is shades of pink.

Aldom Wed 13-Apr-22 04:39:22

Humus741 This is an old thread and Shysal has painted her door Downpipe Grey.

Humus741 Wed 13-Apr-22 00:01:19

lemongrove

Any shade of grey would go well with brass door fittings, but how about a Cotswold pale green or rich cream? Or are there too many of this colour on neighbours doors already?

I don't believe you should paint the door to add a splash of color. I believe it will make the large arch appear disproportionate. Your home, in my opinion, is not appropriate for this particular trend.

I believe that painting all of the trim (including the door) a warm white that matches the windows would be a nice little upgrade. It isn't the same bang for the buck that a brightly colored door could provide for a different style of house, but it would be an upgrade, in my opinion. Here is a guide about paint for front door.

Kalu Thu 10-Dec-20 15:21:59

??‍♀️ Drainpipe Grey!! Apologies Luckylegs.

I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with Downpipe Grey.

shysal Thu 10-Dec-20 13:57:11

I went for the F & B Downpipe Grey. It came out a little paler than I expected, but I still like it. Perhaps another time I would have chosen the Off Black.
Thank you all for the advice.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 23:32:23

Luckylegs Farrow & Ball's Downpipe Grey is a beautiful colour, you wont regret your choice I'm sure. In the morning, I'll take a photo of my front door, which is in that colour, and post it here for you.

Luckylegs Mon 07-Dec-20 23:24:43

I had already bought Farrow and Ball’s Molesbreath in Eggshell for my front door but, on reading this thread this morning, immediately went back to the shop to look for the Drainpipe Grey! I didn’t find it but found Downpipe Grey which I presume is the right name? Unfortunately there was only Eggshell for interior wood and they didn’t have the exterior in stock, I bought it in the gloss but have since googled for it as I assumed it didn’t exist for exterior and found it. I’ve sent off for the primer and the Exterior Eggshell. My husband wasn’t convinced we needed special primer but, being a big believer in not spoiling the ship for an ha’pporth of tar, have sent for the lot. I hope you’re all correct about the colour, I think the Molesbreath might have been too light!

Kalu Mon 07-Dec-20 00:01:28

Another vote for F & B, inside and out.
Drainpipe Grey would be my choice of grey, plus, I prefer an eggshell finish rather than gloss.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 06-Dec-20 22:53:04

Farrow & Ball vote here they have some beautiful colours and all of them are well pigmented

CanadianGran Sun 22-Nov-20 04:14:37

I looked at Cotswold beige stone houses on line and the stone is lovely! I agree a very dark grey would look nice. You may want to consider a mulberry/burgundy colour as well. It would look nice with the stone, and your pink flowers.

Here's a random photo I found with beige stone, burgundy and flowers! The power of the internet!

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 01:04:25

Lisagran your jasmine is a beauty!
I've seen a few of your plants on here - you must have very green (vert) fingers.
I didn't know that F&B did exterior paint.
If I had known it may have saved me from having a lockdown bright green door!

Curlywhirly Sat 21-Nov-20 23:34:49

Ooh Lisagran thanks so much for your pic - it's just the colour I want for my front door.
I've seen it on a few doors, but never knew what the colour was called, you have now put me out of my misery!

phoenix Sat 21-Nov-20 22:59:50

Thank you, Lisagran!

Lisagran Sat 21-Nov-20 22:39:52

It’s a Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)

phoenix Sat 21-Nov-20 22:37:05

Lisagran what's the plant?

Lisagran Sat 21-Nov-20 22:29:03

(It’s an eggshell finish)

Lisagran Sat 21-Nov-20 22:26:14

Ooh, my door is painted with F and B Vert de terre smile

M0nica Sat 21-Nov-20 19:14:05

A soft green would go beautifully with beige stone. I would recommend another Farrow and Ball paint, Vert de Terre.

annsixty Sat 21-Nov-20 12:03:02

I love all the grey doors I see around.
Even newly fitted UVPC come in lovely colours now.
My neighbour opposite has the grey.

Chewbacca Sat 21-Nov-20 11:18:39

As long as the paint you choose actually says that it's suitable for exterior use, you'll be fine. Farrow & Ball paint is excellent quality and I've never had any problems using their paint inside or outside.

shysal Sat 21-Nov-20 11:16:14

Dulux do an exterior satin paint in a dark grey, which would be OK for my wooden door which is protected from above by a canopy.

Thank you all for these suggestions, please keep them coming!

Chewbacca Sat 21-Nov-20 11:14:56

shysal I chose Barrow & Ball's Exterior Eggshell, rather than gloss. I started off with 2 coats of their Primer & Undercoat, then the Drainpipe Grey.

The front door paint of your choice – choose Exterior Eggshell for a mid-sheen finish or Full Gloss for an ultra-reflective finish
Exterior Wood Primer & Undercoat in the recommended tone for your paint colour – you’ll find this on the colour page for your chosen topcoat

FannyCornforth Sat 21-Nov-20 11:02:59

shysal

*Chewbacca*, that F & B colour is just what I had in mind. It looks nice in the eggshell. Is that or satin used more commonly than high gloss these days?

I doubt if you can use satin on an exterior door.
You need exterior door paint.
Is your door metal, wood or pvc?

shysal Sat 21-Nov-20 10:55:08

Chewbacca, that F & B colour is just what I had in mind. It looks nice in the eggshell. Is that or satin used more commonly than high gloss these days?

dogsmother Sat 21-Nov-20 10:47:37

Oh yes I’d be blue any deep shade.

Alexa Sat 21-Nov-20 10:47:33

Glossy black would be a nice foil to red bricks and polished brass.