Gransnet forums

House and home

New Kitchen Sink

(9 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 24-Nov-20 09:23:14

Am going to replace my very shabby, stainless steel sink. It’s just a single bowl one, I use a plastic bowl for washing up, don’t have a dishwasher, (my choice).

Would you go for another stainless steel one, or a white ceramic one? DH thinks the ceramic would chip and stain, but I fancy a change.

Our plumber suggested a ceramic one, think they are easier to fit as a replacement.

Grannynannywanny Tue 24-Nov-20 09:38:19

Calendargirl I replaced mine with a white ceramic one about 8 years ago and it’s still as good as new. No marks or chips. Easy to clean. It looks much better than my previous stainless steel which needed much more elbow grease to keep it looking good.

Calendargirl Tue 24-Nov-20 10:39:19

Thanks GNW, really helpful comments.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:51:38

Had our kitchen done last year, and have a stainless steel sink, as like your husband says, we were worried about chipping and staining. I really wanted what we’d had before, a kind of fibre glass I think, but it’s no longer available. We’re pleased with the sink, but if you can check taps, do so. We fitted one that looks good, a mixer. The problem is, the hot water comes down the centre as a fast jet, and the cold around the outside. So the cold is fine, but if we’re not careful, we get soaked every time we use the hot?.

M0nica Tue 24-Nov-20 11:51:41

I have had a ceramic sink for the last 25 years, although not a white one, and, today or tomorrow, the kitchen fitter will install my new white ceramic sink.

I have had no problems at all with my previous sink chipping and I do not anticipate having a problem in the future

I suppose it all depends what you throw at each other when you have a row. A spanner or lump hammer might damage it, but I doubt of a cabbage or tomato would grin

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Nov-20 12:50:06

I have a black composite sink and it's been a nightmare to keep it looking nice because of hard water and soap scum. It has also slightly chipped which is very noticeable. I can't wait to replace it, but really my whole kitchen needs replacing so I just put up with it.

MiniMoon Tue 24-Nov-20 13:16:55

Do not buy a white ceramic sink. I have one and hate it. It is 15 years old and very scratched. The bung for the other tap hole cracked not long after it was installed.

I do so wish I'd bought another stainless steel one.

I'd love a new kitchen, but its way down on the list. We need a new bathroom first.

Judy54 Tue 24-Nov-20 13:17:37

We had a grey composite sink which was terrible to keep clean, had it replaced with a white ceramic one and it is almost a joy to clean it now!

Jane43 Thu 10-Dec-20 12:24:25

We replaced our stainless steel sink about two years ago with a black composite one from B&Q when they were on special offer. It has kept its colour well but we do have a water softener. I read it’s best to oil it with vegetable oil if it gets discoloured but we haven’t had to do this yet, an ordinary kitchen cleaner followed by a rub with a microfibre cloth brings it up as good as new.