Gransnet forums

House and home

Hallway flooring

(21 Posts)
Sparkling Mon 30-Nov-20 07:43:40

I have fitted carpet throughout, but find the hall despite having a small mat to wipe feet, looks grubby. The carpet is only five years old, the rest of the house fine. Was wondering about replacing hall flooring with tiles or laminate. I would appreciate your advice.

OceanMama Mon 30-Nov-20 07:49:40

I have wooden floor boards in my hallway. I mop it and it's all clean and good. I'd think ceramic type tiles would clean up well too.

phoenix Mon 30-Nov-20 07:50:07

We have vinyl, easy to clean, kinder than tiles if you drop anything.

Hetty58 Mon 30-Nov-20 07:57:40

I have waterproof laminate that looks just like wood, along with a large, inset mat. There's another mat in the porch and a rubber mat outside, too. It only ever needs a quick damp mop.

Everyone takes their shoes off or wears shoe covers. The dog wipes her feet. Still, the cat trails muddy footprints through the house and along the windowsills!

(Tiles are rather cold and very permanent. The grout gets dirty unless it's properly sealed.)

J52 Mon 30-Nov-20 08:22:07

In the cottage the previous owner put down fake laminate wood. The original floor underneath is tiles, but their unattractive. After Christmas we’re having new tiles put down with a dark grout, easier to keep clean.

sodapop Mon 30-Nov-20 08:25:12

I prefer tiles, easier to keep clean and there is a fantastic choice available.

Georgesgran Mon 30-Nov-20 08:25:50

Real wood in our hall - use a steam mop on it, as it shouldn’t be over-wet. I’ve a door-mat, which DH completely ignores, but that’s another story!

kittylester Mon 30-Nov-20 08:26:00

Assuming that we can stop the hall ceiling leaking we are putting wood look Karndean down.

silverlining48 Mon 30-Nov-20 08:35:48

We have the original floorboards in our hall. It works for us.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Nov-20 08:37:41

We have oak parquet throughout the ground floor. Incredibly easy to look after and ages really well.

Use a Swedish cleaner once a week which is a doddle.

Chewbacca Mon 30-Nov-20 08:37:57

Karndean oak effect planks here. Warm, easy to clean, non slip.

MrsThreadgoode Mon 30-Nov-20 08:40:05

Oak floors here too, we found tiles to be too slippery when wet, cleans up well and only takes a couple of minutes.

Daisymae Mon 30-Nov-20 08:44:16

We have engineered wood. It's wood but has a sort of easy to maintain finish. I have a micro fibre mop and only takes a minute to swish over. No other maintenance needed and it looks great. I have also steam mopped in the past and it was happy with that too.

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Nov-20 09:16:37

i have ceramic tiles in my hall and downstairs loo. I found carpet difficult to clean with a cat bringing home hot meals most days. She also did not understand the use of a door mat. So much easier to clean and much quicker.

Missfoodlove Mon 30-Nov-20 09:33:49

Steam mops should never be used on a wooden floor!
They will damage and warp the wood.
www.consumerreports.org/steam-mops/why-you-shouldnt-use-steam-mop-on-wood-floors/

Whiff Mon 30-Nov-20 09:43:04

I have Kardean flooring in my hall from the Opus range it's wood effect. In my old house had laminated both are excellent. In my old house the laminate was over 20 years old and still looked good. Both are easy to keep clean . Just vac and mop.

annsixty Mon 30-Nov-20 10:31:44

Another one here with wood effect Karndean, the best hall floor I have ever had.
A quick sweep and and a damp mop, like new every time.

My D has 3 cats and a dog and had it installed all through downstairs, again delighted.

Teacheranne Mon 30-Nov-20 10:58:43

Amtico for me, after almost 20 years it still looked like new.

Franbern Mon 30-Nov-20 11:20:55

By the time people reach my flat their shoes are usually reasonably clean, although people are encourged to take them off as they come in. At present there is carpet, but in February will have Karndean wood effect in my hall and in my Living room, So much easier to keep clean and nice.

In my last house, when I finally got the very dark carpet taken up in the hallway, discovered that the original parquet flooring was there, Had this all cleaned up and it was gorgeous. Again, so much easier to keep really clean than carpet.

Do not like ceramic tiles anywhere. I have always found them very cold underfoot, unless you have underfloor heating, and very unkind to anything that is dropped.

LadyBella Mon 07-Dec-20 22:24:41

We have non-slip tiles, 4 years old but still look like new. Would never have carpet in a hallway as it's impossible to keep clean.

Ailsa43 Mon 07-Dec-20 23:15:27

We have tiles in the hall for the very same problem you are having sparkling. The hall carpet was also much dirtier than the stairs carpet all the time , despite having a doormat, so we matched the colour of the hall and kitchen tiles, with the same colour as the stair carpet..

We did it maybe 8 or 9 years ago.. I've never regretted it... and it's not at all cold..