Gransnet forums

House and home

A standard light good for reading.

(14 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Tue 09-Feb-21 19:35:31

As above I really need a good reading light but one that lights the room as well so dh can see as he sits in his armchair with a small table between us. Been looking at adverts for a Serious Readers but am concerned the beam won’t be wide enough for both of us. As the cost is considerable I don’t want to make a mistake. We have a standard light at the moment but it doesn’t give a brilliant light as it is fitted with a low energy bulb as we were told that would be better for the protection of the shade. It’s now looking dated so thinking of something more modern. Wondering if anyone has any ideas to offer. Thanking you in advance.

GardenerGran Tue 09-Feb-21 19:45:50

Yes I’d be interested in this too, I’ve seen those ads for very expensive reading lights and wondered about them.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Feb-21 19:51:00

Have you thought of an LED bulb whilst you are looking?
I've just put an LED with high lumens bulb in one of mine and the difference is extraordinary!

Because they don't get hot like traditional bulbs I'm replacing my low energy ones with these now.

Casdon Tue 09-Feb-21 20:07:39

My brother and I got my mum a Serious Readers light for Christmas a couple of years ago, it’s very good indeed, but it is a narrow beam, it centres on your lap so you can read etc. However, it came with a free desk size lamp, which is also very good, so my dad (who has better eyesight) had that one.

kittylester Tue 09-Feb-21 20:09:10

We tried a Serious Readers Light and it didn't give us a wide enough light so we sent it back. They have a really good returns system.

seacliff Tue 09-Feb-21 20:14:48

I agree with NotSpaghetti

I have just changed the bulb in my standard lamp for a daylight bulb, and it is so much better. Worth a try before you splash out.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Feb-21 21:40:57

I just changed a landing bulb yesterday for a brighter LED one and now I think I need to re-decorate!
?

seacliff Tue 09-Feb-21 21:44:47

Sorry I meant to say a LED bulb

Nonogran Tue 09-Feb-21 22:24:34

There's a company called Coopers who often put their catalogues inside the weekend newspapers. They also have a web site.
My mum has one of their standard reading lights beside her bed & it's great. Does the job well. It's much cheaper than the light advertised on TV (Serious Readers) & has good reviews. Could be worth a try?

B9exchange Tue 09-Feb-21 22:42:08

Have you thought about a mother and daughter lamp? A standard light that is an uplighter plus a reading lamp, eg www.amazon.co.uk/Mother-Chrome-Decorative-Standing-Reading/dp/B089K3G89H/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=mother+and+daughter+lamp&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1612910492&sr=8-13

MiniMoon Tue 09-Feb-21 22:47:30

We have a lamp from Coopers of Stortford. It has three different light modes, and different brightness settings. Bought it three or four years ago and its still going strong even with grandchildren having played with it!

SpringyChicken Tue 09-Feb-21 22:58:41

Lovetopaint, no need to change your existing light fittings, just replace the bulbs with daylight LED bulbs. Typically, these are listed as 4000K (this is the colour temperature). You might find it easier to find what you want online rather than in the shops where there is a predominance of warm white or cool white.

What bulbs do you have currently? Large or small bayonet? Small or large screw fitting? Candle, golf or standard bulb shape? If you tell us what you have already, we might be able to suggest suitable replacements. LED bulbs stay cold so your shade will be safe.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 09-Feb-21 23:03:57

Goodness thank you all sooo much. Different bulbs, mother and daughters lamp and a Coopers of Stortford with three different light modes. also. kittylester thank you what you describe is what I was afraid of. That has saved us a lot of trouble. I am going to look into all of these. Thank you so much. I am just going to show your replies to dh.

Tricia1951 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:56:36

Definitely recommend a mother daughter lamp - we have three!