Gransnet forums

House and home

Selling unwanted items safely

(7 Posts)
Sparkling Sat 20-Feb-21 08:24:25

I am de cluttering and want to sell loads of unwanted items. When I have, my home will be sold. I will give away anything I would have left anyone in my will. How do this safely on line please?

Hetty58 Sat 20-Feb-21 08:26:06

EBay?

Franbern Sat 20-Feb-21 08:35:20

According to size of these items. When I was doing this when de-cluttering my house getting it ready to go on the market, I actually preferred to use my local GUMTREE. Although, this obviously cut down the number of people who may have wanted these items I could ask that they be collected and (at that time - five years ago), I insisted on Cash only payments. With this I sold on chairs, tables, pushchair, bookcases, etc.etc . and a number of kitchen gadgets that I had aquired and lost interest in using within a short time. These latter all had the original information booklet with them and , most, even the original boxes.

If it is small items which can be sent through the post - then Ebay is probably excellent. With all of these I did check with my children to see if any of them wanted any of them and twice that was highly successful.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Feb-21 08:38:05

Definitely local selling sites they are absolutely fine I ve sold on them for years and years you have to be firm and stick to the price you want and be firm about day and time of collection I use my home for collection but if you are nervous to do that you can always make a meeting point in town or something I also use eBay but there are fees and postage to add I ve recently started looking in to Etsy where there are no fees but haven’t used it yet
I ve made loads for my grandkids selling their toys and clothes (that they spend a fortune on) and am constantly turning out spare rooms ( never seem to get any less)
I use Amazon and Ziffit for books

Witzend Sat 20-Feb-21 08:41:11

My dd uses Gumtree and Facebook marketplace a lot - but mostly for buying 2nd hand.

I have sold fairly major items on EBay - including a Hostess trolley I hadn’t used for years and which had turned into a dumping ground for all sorts.
Sold very fast for £80.

lilypollen Sat 20-Feb-21 22:13:54

I used local selling sites 5 years ago when we moved. Problem was, how to prioritise who gets the item? Morally I'd sell to the first person, they then didn't collect and I had the hassle of contacting others down the chain, some of whom were no longer interested. Have preferred to use 'Collection in Person' on ebay, whilst limiting buyers, once they have paid it's theirs.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Feb-21 23:02:47

Similar to Franbern small items generally when decluttering were sold on local Facebook sites, the last bits given away, doorstep collection, cash only.