Gransnet forums

House and home

Food processors

(5 Posts)
susytish Mon 22-Feb-21 14:32:13

I need a new food processor. Had my old moulinex one for years. The modern ones seem big and are on bases. My old one had controls on the side and could fit on top of a kitchen cupboard.
Any advice appreciated!

Luckygirl Mon 22-Feb-21 14:59:14

I have never hankered after one of these - too many fiddly sharp bits needing washing after use!

JackyB Mon 22-Feb-21 23:00:06

I miss my food processor so much. I had a Braun - in fact I had a succession of them. But the container (can't really call it a bowl) tended to break, being plastic, and it was ridiculously expensive to replace. The other attachments, particularly the slicer/grater/shredder were prone to breaking, too, especially when grating hard cheese. But you don't need them so much, because you can chop vegetables and cheese finely instead of grating.

DH bought me a mixer with a stainless steel bowl. I had asked for it, but I hadn't realised it was a stand mixer. It is a Bosch, was very expensive (which is why I haven't replaced it yet) but it is pretty useless. The beaters don't reach to the sides of the bowl and they just whirr about, stirring up the air, instead of creaming butter and sugar. I end up doing it by hand.

But, back to the food processor - they may have improved the quality of the plastic in the meantime. Moulinex and Braun are the only ones I have experience of and they are wonderfully simple to dismantle and clean. The Bosch stand mixer can only have been designed by a man - it is so unwieldy and complicated to fit together.

My favourite trick with the food processor was a quiche. Mixing the pastry, chopping the cheese finely and then beating the egg mixture could all be done consecutively without washing up in between times, all with the same blades. Took just 10 minutes to rustle up, whilst the oven was heating up.

With the stand mixer, the pastry would be made with the dough hooks, then whisk the eggs and cream with the whisk attachment and then (if you can be bothered) the cheese grated with the grating gizmo. Far too much hassle and washing up.

Food processor made brilliant mayonnaise, too. There was a very good recipe book with the Braun - Moulinex also have good recipes, so I expect there is one with that as well.

CanadianGran Tue 23-Feb-21 05:39:35

I know what you mean about the shape of the new models. Mine was bought to make baby food.. about 30 years ago. It also has the motor and controls on the side, so is not as tall as the newer models.

The last few baking recipes I did were done in the food processor. Fig Newtons, and just on Saturday I made a recipe for Garibaldi Raisin Biscuits. I had some leftover currants from Christmas, and this recipe turned out better than the packaged cookies, which I can't find in stores anymore.

Go on-line and check out reviews for processors. I see they come in mini sizes from 2 cups and upwards to 16 cups. I like the looks of the KitchenAid 7 cup model.

spottysocks Tue 23-Feb-21 18:04:36

I have a Kenwood Compact Food Processor which is tiny. It's not as powerful or expensive as a lot of the others on sale, but it depends on how much you need to use it. I mainly use mine for pastry dough and as long as you don't want to make too much at a time it's fine. No more than 226 grams or 8 oz flour at any one time. Yes it's basic but fine for me. It might not be powerful enough for your needs though.smile