Gransnet forums

House and home

References required for renting?

(17 Posts)
Airedale19 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:26:15

What kinds of references are required by letting agents and landlords for renting these days?

It’s a very long time since I rented a flat.

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:31:36

A reference from a previous land lord is often asked for, but if it's a while since you were in rented accommodation that may not be possible.

A bank reference or something similar that shows you have sufficient funds to make the payments and a credit history are the things our letting agent has always requested Airedale.

B9exchange Mon 01-Mar-21 09:33:32

They will want reassurance from previous landlords that you didn't trash the place, you left it clean and intact, that you didn't play loud music, annoy the neighbours, and most importantly, paid the rent on time!

I had to supply a reference for DS1 for a house that I knew was beyond their budget, and had to guarantee that I would pay the difference if they defaulted. I was extremely relieved when they moved into something cheaper!

Shandy57 Mon 01-Mar-21 10:34:15

I hadn't rented for over thirty years when I sold my house, so I couldn't supply references of any kind. I just had to supply proof of income, and allow them access to three months bank statements.

GagaJo Mon 01-Mar-21 11:32:01

I take 3 months bank statements and also do a credit check.

glammanana Mon 01-Mar-21 11:43:41

When my son applied to rent a house before he bought a property he supplied 6 mths bank statements and a personal reference from his employer's its standard practice now.

Does anyone remember years ago when you just had to catch the rent man and ask him if you could be considered for a house?

Peasblossom Mon 01-Mar-21 11:44:51

That was when the landlord could get rid of you if you were no good?

EllanVannin Mon 01-Mar-21 11:53:21

I think bank statements stand you in good stead if you're retired, with proof of affordability as a deposit is necessary.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 01-Mar-21 11:57:25

I left my flat with an agent because i live in Harrogate the flat was in Aberdeen. Unfortunately I could have done with references for the agency!!!

vickymeldrew Mon 01-Mar-21 12:19:50

Just a credit reference search through a letting agent. All automated anyway because anything else is easily forged so always disregarded.

GagaJo Mon 01-Mar-21 12:48:54

Also I the agent I have used in the past asks for wage slips, to be able to assess the affordability of the rent. Someone wanted to rent my property, but didn't have the income to support it (according to the agent).

Airedale19 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:27:14

I asked this question as I am thinking of selling my house, then renting before another purchase. I’m just exploring all options and wondering whether I could avoid a chain. Thanks for all your input.

Peasblossom Mon 01-Mar-21 14:30:24

It can be hard to get a short term let. The costs of setting up a letting for the landlord are quite high so most want a year lease to offset the costs.

Just something to bear in mind.

3nanny6 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:38:07

I phoned up an advert for my son for a studio flat today.
It is built at the side of the house where the owners will be living. I had to quickly pull out a chair from the kitchen table when I was told the rent was £950 pounds a month.
It is not in London area or anywhere near that. In fact it is down the road from the Jehovah witness hall and one of those
temples for Sikhs.
I expect they would want glowing references for their property.

EkwaNimitee Mon 01-Mar-21 16:54:24

I took a let after selling my house and waiting for the new one to be built. It’s on what I understand to be the usual terms—6 months initially followed by the possibility of extending month by month. Apparently this is generally acceptable even when you see the landlord is asking for a long let. I didn’t need personal references, the letting agent uses a credit reference agency and I supplied proof of sufficient income. In my case that was P60s and 3 months bank statements. I did it all online which is probably quicker.
Incidentally, I was amazed at the fierce competition for lets in a semi rural, rather remote area, the landlords could obviously pick and choose.

Shandy57 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:01:26

I initially had a fixed six months tenancy, but by the end of it had not found anywhere to purchase.

I renewed in August for another fixed six month tenancy, which ran out on 7 February. I ignored the renewal as directed and went onto the monthly periodic tenancy, and it's worked out really well. On 7 February I gave a month and a week's notice to my very nice landlord, and he accepted, rather than charging me for two months.

I had to accept viewings from prospective new tenants and had three booked in, but was lucky, he accepted the first couple that came and asked to rent it.

I agree with your comment about fierce competition EkwaNimitee - I'm rural. Unfortunately another couple did come the next day without their appointment being confirmed, they were desperate to return to rural surroundings.

Shandy57 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:03:11

Sorry, I should have said I whilst under the fixed term tenancy, I would have had to give a month's notice on 6 January, to leave on 7 February.