Gransnet forums

House and home

Home maintenance costs estimated by Kirsty

(34 Posts)
threexnanny Thu 04-Mar-21 14:45:31

I watched 'Love it or List it' last night and Kirsty said everyone should spend about £1500 to £2000 pa on upkeep of their home. She didn't say if that includes labour costs. We've spent about £800 so far this year on redecorating a room and replacing a garden fence - both DIY jobs. No idea how much more labour would have cost us.
What does everyone else think about that estimate, and do you budget for it or take it as it comes?

Shinamae Fri 05-Mar-21 23:20:26

I am 68 but still working so last year I had most of the windows replaced and a new combi boiler (that cost me £2200 But it does have a 12 year warranty) I’m trying to get big things done now because although I have no intention of giving up work in the near future you never know what’s round the corner... and if I stop work I will only have my state pension...

misty34 Fri 05-Mar-21 23:09:41

Once you are living on a small pension this goes out of the window.
Over the last 10 years I have had a new roof [big spend] new double glazing, new radiators replaced, fencing, washing machine, freezer and beds.
Been on small pension now for 5 years and I can cope with new appliances etc but now need a bathroom update and work done in the kitchen no idea how this will be done.

GillT57 Fri 05-Mar-21 22:52:24

That sounds about right when you average things out. A couple of fence panels replaced, boilers serviced etc can soon add up. Our problem is that we did a whole load of work and decorating when we moved in 10 years ago and the cycle needs to start again decorating wise! Will be one room this year, then another next. Like painting the Forth Bridge!

FlexibleFriend Fri 05-Mar-21 12:55:41

She was referring to upkeep of the fabric of the building, prompted by a couple who hadn't lifted a paintbrush since moving in. Although they did have cowboys in to do the kitchen which wasn't great and the floor in there was a death trap. It was laminate that was extremely ill fitting and moved up and down as it was walked on. They also had a loft conversion done that didn't meet building regs. I'm guessing by the same people and they were scared of ever employing anyone again. I understand that but the house was showing signs of neglect in virtually every room.

threexnanny Fri 05-Mar-21 12:37:36

I din't think she was including replacing white goods and furniture in that figure which you have the option of taking with you if you move.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 05-Mar-21 09:12:44

It depends on whether you are spending on maintenance or improvements, and whether you live in a new or older house I guess. I would say she’s about right for maintenance if you take into account servicing of central heating, fires, decorating, and essential repairs, including garden.

Lillie Fri 05-Mar-21 09:03:28

You can guarantee most the houses with skips, portable loos and workmens' vans in my area are spending 10 times £2,000 on their jobs.
Likewise Franbern is right to say when people move and have downsizing cash available much is spent at the beginning. Maybe £20,000?

Franbern Fri 05-Mar-21 08:43:24

When I was working, in the first eight years after I moved into my house, I had one largish job carried out each year - paid for out of earnings. So, added Utility room, had new bathroom, completely overhauled kitchen, had Amtico floor laid in through lounge, new boiler, new carpet on stairs and landing and bedrooms, all ground floor ceiling re-done (getting rid of artex), loft extension, en-suite installed. After retirement, I just had essential work carried out, repairs to gutterings and roof, etc. Did most of my own decorating, although, finally, did have to have professional to paint hallway and landing. I reckon that over the eighteen years I was there I spent around sixty grand on improvements and maintenance. So, that averages just over £3000 pa, but that included extensions, not just maintenance.

As the house sold for nearly double what I paid for it, feel it was all very worthwhile in every way.

In the flat, I pay £675 every half year, this is obviously for maintenance and decorating to all public areas, but also included all water rates, building insurance, maintenance for combi boiler and central heating, I now have no worries about roofs, gutterings, fences, etc. Just have to pay small amount for contents insurance and my heating bills are lower here than in the house.
I have used much of the surplus money from my sale to carry out improvements here (fitted wardrobes, new floor, electrification of garage, new bathroom, etc. Really do not see that there are going to be much in the way of maintenance required over next few years.

Calendargirl Fri 05-Mar-21 07:14:42

But we have all seen those houses on the market that haven’t been updated for 30 years

They will often be sold because the owners have died, and the estate is being wound up. You are always hearing that people want to put their own mark on a property, and often rip out kitchens and bathrooms anyhow.

Sara1954 Fri 05-Mar-21 06:44:31

Does that figure include new furniture, curtains, decorating? Or is it purely maintenance?

CanadianGran Fri 05-Mar-21 06:41:54

I think that sounds reasonable. Between appliances that don't last like they used to, painting, new floors or roof, eves troughs, etc. it would probably average out over the years.

I do think as we get older that it is harder to justify some new costs. Why get new when the old is serviceable but a bit shabby? But we have all seen those houses on the market that haven't been updated for 30 years or more. Don't want that to happen!

I need to make a list...

vegansrock Fri 05-Mar-21 06:31:26

Sounds reasonable. We’ve had some big bills recently- new patio doors, some garden work, decorating. Don’t spend that much every year. During the pandemic, many people have spent more money on their houses and gardens, using money saved on holidays.

threexnanny Thu 04-Mar-21 21:39:47

We've spent some money on the house every year just to keep it in a reasonable state, but OH is getting a bit arthritic so it's going to get more difficult.

Amberone Thu 04-Mar-21 19:01:37

We haven't spent much on the house for years but over the last three years have spent over £40,000 for new bathrooms and kitchen. We've also got a roof to clean and a new fence to install this year. Twenty years worth of work in about three years. I wish I had spaced it out more. But she's probably about right.

I think she's probably talking about keeping your house in a state where you will be able to get a good price without massive changes before you try to sell.

Ellianne Thu 04-Mar-21 18:26:35

I think Kirstie is all about adding value to your house. Many younger people are keen to spend a fair bit in order to move up the ladder when they come to sell. Maybe as we get older and don't want to sell, we are more interested in comfort than making a big profit. So we see little point in spending too much?

MayBee70 Thu 04-Mar-21 18:25:25

I think that cutting corners on home maintenance costs more in the long run but from what I’ve seen/ heard of Kirsty she lives the sort if privileged life that I don’t recognise.

Shandy57 Thu 04-Mar-21 17:49:37

I saw the programme too, I think I'll open an easy access savings account and set aside an amount each month into it. I wouldn't be able to put £160 per month, too big a chunk out of my pension.

Sara1954 Thu 04-Mar-21 17:40:40

I guess if you have a handy partner you can save a lot of money. I often think about all the things we pay to have done, that my dad would have just got on with.

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 17:29:31

Yes, I agree that it would average out over the years, some projects cost a very large amount.

In fact, I think that is quite a conservative estimate.

threexnanny Thu 04-Mar-21 17:06:53

I've just Goggled average UK house prices and it's around £250000 so if the 1% figure is correct then we should all be spending £2500, and more in the south. That seems an awful lot to me even when averaged out, but OH will do most things except electrics and roof repairs, so I haven't much experience of labour costs.

Sara1954 Thu 04-Mar-21 17:06:47

My next project is the laundry/utility it’s currently a cold, cluttered room, with not enough storage. But then I get a few new ideas, and it turns into a major building project!

Aveline Thu 04-Mar-21 17:02:36

We'd certainly struggle to find enough work to do to justify that sort of spending!

FlexibleFriend Thu 04-Mar-21 17:00:06

I don't wait for things to need repairing I tend to update things because I want to, so never really have things going wrong.

Jaxjacky Thu 04-Mar-21 16:38:58

We spent about £20,000 last year, but very minimally over the previous ten years except for a new boiler about six years ago, so averaged out, about right.

Auntieflo Thu 04-Mar-21 16:01:09

Threexnanny. I mentioned that on the Good Morning thread this morning, and have just realised that we spent that much, as we had our radiators replaced earlier this year.