Gransnet forums

House and home

83 yrs old and wanting a change .....

(17 Posts)
EkwaNimitee Wed 10-Mar-21 17:18:34

For over 40 years my DH and I lived in one of the most beautiful parts of the Uk....sea, lakes, mountains, all a short drive away. Now I am older, widowed and the children live in Surrey and Australia. If you are not active, there are very limited things to do/join. If you can no longer drive, public transport outside of town is not good. The local hospital isn’t bad but, increasingly, to have tests or see a consultant, then it’s 40 miles each way to get to the bigger hospital. Friends have moved away and my busy family can only make time to visit once a year. I don’t know how longer I will be fit enough to go visit them or travel anywhere.
Regretfully, I have decided ease of access to family and good facilities is more important than isolation in great surroundings. I’m moving to the city where I hope, post-COVID, there will be more to join in with, it’s a short taxi ride to the hospital or main line railway station.
These are the things that you may well want to consider before moving somewhere smaller and more remote.

Nannarose Wed 10-Mar-21 14:47:07

I personally don't quite get 'being by the sea'. I think for some it is an association of holidays, and I can see that the ever-changing pattern of the sea is interesting.
But it seems that a lot of the coast is not easily accessible for walks, especially as one gets a bit more frail. Seaside resorts can be rather mixed places - some run down, some very expensive, some get crowded....
Of course, we all have things we like and that attract us, but I do think that is is worth analysing a bit and thinking through.
I walk by a river that runs by my home. It is mostly quiet - and even the summer 'crowds' are nothing like the 'seaside'. There are places to swim, and to splash about, and the wildlife is wonderful.
Much cheaper than most seaside places.

Granless Wed 10-Mar-21 13:45:27

callistemon ... N. Wales I like plus you have a beautiful coastline to visit ... near enough for friends to travel to. I have a pull to Kendal, Cumbria ... my maternal relatives lived/live there. I’ve visited many times and still do - normally.
But again, our ages come into the equation.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:30:41

Granless

maytime2 I love your Betsy Cadwallender ... it really made me laugh ?

Granless Betsi Cadwaladr was a Welsh nurse who worked alongside Florence Nightingale in the Crimean War.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:28:20

maytime2

I would not chose to move to North Wales. Their Hospital Trust, Betsy Cadwallader, has just come out of special measures which I believe they were in for about 5 years.
I believe that all medical services in Wales are dire when compared to England.

That is right; although I have experienced good from the Welsh NHS, I have heard stories from friends of the bad.

It's a big step - why North Wales? It is lovely but is there a reason?
I'd would like to live near the sea but I'd move further south.

foxie48 Tue 09-Mar-21 19:40:57

Spend any inheritance money on enjoying time by the sea but keep your main home by your friends. I know North Wales quite well, it's beautiful in the summer but can be very bleak in the winter. I also know that few doctors wish to move there either during their training or as a permanent position, that would concern me.

Granless Tue 09-Mar-21 19:30:22

maytime2 I love your Betsy Cadwallender ... it really made me laugh ?

maytime2 Tue 09-Mar-21 13:46:15

I would not chose to move to North Wales. Their Hospital Trust, Betsy Cadwallader, has just come out of special measures which I believe they were in for about 5 years.
I believe that all medical services in Wales are dire when compared to England.

Granless Tue 09-Mar-21 13:39:32

Thank you all for your replies and opinions. I, like you all, think that a move which does include sell up and buy again, is just too much.
Franbern .. you mirrored my thoughts about holidaying- going away regularly. is the answer. I certainly would have moved if younger. Need to speak with hubbie!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:10:15

There are practicalities. DH and I moved near the sea and we had a good five years there until he became very ill. We had nice surroundings, a lovely garden and great neighbours.
BUT it was a long journey for family to visit. As for the seaside itself, unless you like crowds when there is a Bank Holiday or an unexpectedly warm weekend the place was heaving and with queues for everything, a parking spot, tea/ice cream, loo, etc. Then we were better off staying in the garden.
It was all right for hospital/doctors and the like but these tend to be better in a big city and public transport is also something to consider.

Nannarose Mon 08-Mar-21 11:15:09

If you can afford to, I would go and rent somewhere for a few months to get the idea of it, including friends driving to see you. you may be able to rent out your own house to cover the cost.
However, when any of us get older, we may find ourselves unable to drive some distance, or at all, but that can happen anywhere.

Franbern Mon 08-Mar-21 10:48:26

Granless just to say that moving home is extremely stressful - at any age - and just harder and more so when you are older. Not sure if any proposed move would involve selling and buying property, or if you are in rental accommodation.

I would be honest with you and say if such a move would involve the whole area of selling and buying property - then, Unless there is a very, very good reason to do so - you would be well advised not to go along that route.

Living in a seaside resort does have downsides as well as the good things. Can get very, very busy during holidays times, can be almost impossible for people to drive to and from during much of these times. Your one and half hour journey for friends could become double, or treble that time!!!

During the winter months, it can be quite desolate - a lot of places close during those months.

So, my advice to you is to stay where you are, close to your friends, and just go for long visits to the seaside in the summer months. Could you afford to purchase a small flat there or a holiday home?

simtib Sat 06-Mar-21 22:12:43

I decided that friends were more important than scenery. So staying where I am and with the people I know.

midgey Sat 06-Mar-21 21:58:31

You need to visit his chosen area in November or February when it’s raining and if you can choose early closing day he will really find out what it’s like! Fantastic in fine weather less lovely when cold and wet!

Redhead56 Sat 06-Mar-21 20:11:21

We have a house on Anglesey we went all the time when children were young and planned on retiring there. When our son and daughter left home and started families we went there less frequently. We rented it for a while but we decided to sell as we could not see the point in retiring there. Our son and daughter have little time to travel at the weekends. Our friends all live close by so there is no point in us pursuing retirement there.
You will have to weigh everything up as mentioned surgeries etc. If you or your partner become ill would you want to be on your own where you don't know anyone. It's an upheaval do you really want that? It's a lot to think about and you have big decisions to make. I wish you well in whatever you choose to do in the near future.

welbeck Sat 06-Mar-21 19:44:57

you will need to be nearer enough to a general hospital, or which can be accessed easily by public transport, which is generally very poor outside the big cities.
also think of GPs, dentist, post office/bank/ ATM/ mini-cabs.
it is different than being on holiday in some scenic remote place.
think of the practicalities, what's it like in winter. risk of flooding ?
all the issues are likely to be more difficult if you do not have back-up support from younger people, family.
you might be quite isolated. do you go to church or other communal activities. remember those ?
good luck.

Granless Sat 06-Mar-21 19:38:54

My other half wants to move to North Wales .... 1.5 hrs away from where we are now. I’m 10 yrs younger than him. I must add he is a young 83, fit and well.
He would like to spend his ‘last years’ by the sea ... not in a small town like we live in now.
I also would like to do this but think our ages are against us. We have no family in the UK and our friends are as old as we are, so maybe not too happy to drive to us.
What do you GN’s think?