Gransnet forums

House and home

CLEANING WHITE KITCHEN UNIT DOORS

(10 Posts)
joanna12 Mon 15-Mar-21 17:55:17

Hello.I have white kitchen units about eight years old,and i notice sometimes they look a bit yellow in certain lights,husband thinks its just me but he wouldn't notice anyway.Today i used a magic sponge on them,and that was dirty after every wipe,then i used a cloth to clean it off,will redo again tomorrow,my husband thinks it maybe to rough for them so now i am concerned am i doing damage,i usually wipe the unit doors daily guessing its just a build up of cooking,does anyone have any other tips on clean,read online baking powder and vinegar.Just worry what exactly is a magic sponge and is it to good to be true.Thank you.

Trisha57 Mon 15-Mar-21 18:22:57

Are they gloss units or matte? Wooden or laminate? If they are gloss, I suspect the magic sponge may damage the gloss finish. I had some white kitchen units in a previous house which were matte finished, and found that using a VERY diluted bleach solution brought them up bright without damaging the finish, but only did this occasionally. Vinegar is useful too, but the smell lingers for so long - I use vinegar for descaling my kettle and stainless steel drainer/sink. How about lemon juice? Same sort of effect but better smell!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 15-Mar-21 18:26:58

I use ‘Pink Stuff’ it’s a cream that you apply then wipe off with a wet cloth, it’s very good on most painted surfaces.

Trisha57 Mon 15-Mar-21 18:38:35

Oh, Pink Stuff is so good for so many things Oopsadaisy1. Stained saucepans (not the non-stick ones, though) come up good as new and stainless steel sinks positively gleam after using it. My daughter also gave me a tip for stainless steel cooker hoods. She uses a tiny amount baby oil on hers applied with kitchen roll after cleaning and there are no streaks or water marks left behind.

joanna12 Mon 15-Mar-21 18:47:22

Hello.Thank you they are matt laminate i think,doubt they are expensive,they were fitted by a big house builder when we bought the house eight years ago,just with the sunlight they look a bit faded in parts that's what made me think it must be a build up of cooking,doubt a daily wipe with a damp cloth is enough and i should have realised this sooner.

4allweknow Wed 17-Mar-21 11:47:01

Did have white kitchen units in last house and never experienced what you describe. What I do find is after painting room doors both sides one side always seem to have a yellow faded hue. Don't know how many times I told DH and he always says its the surfaces absorbing different colours from different surfaces in the different areas of house making the white look different on each side. Makes sense. Would your units have colours from shadows, flooring, even kitchen towels. Would not use kind of abrasive eg pink stuff, cif on the fronts, good old washing up liquid, warm water. Dry, then buff up with a very light spray of furniture polish.

joanna12 Wed 17-Mar-21 20:13:45

Thank you for your advice.

mokryna Wed 17-Mar-21 20:28:35

Yes, I have had a similar problem with an ikea white work top. The marks seem to come, not very often and go. They are like a small blotch and no rubbing will make them disappear. Maybe it is depending on what cleaning products I have used but I can never nail it down but they do go.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Mar-21 20:42:46

I just use distilled water and white vinegar in equal measures - on a soft cloth, then dry thoroughly with another one. We have hard water here so I don't use tap water.

joanna12 Sat 20-Mar-21 09:44:33

thank you.